And that's a 16-4 White Sox winner!

chitownsportsfan

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

All he had to say was "we talked about it" or "no comment" and say whatever he wanted to behind closed doors.  This is the worst of both worlds.

I agree. Back to the original point of the discussion, Mercedes should still listen to the coach and be held accountable for not doing so.

Just now, ptatc said:

no. That wasn't the discussion. You asked that during a different discussion. The discussion was did Mercedes do something wrong by not listening to the coach. You interjected a different discussion about TLR making the public statements. I answered your question, you continue to deflect from the original discussion.

Except I didn't deflect anything, and said multiple times Yermin was wrong for not following the call given. If he missed it, he needs to pay attention. If he blew it off, he needs to be punished. 

None of that changes my thoughts on 1. Tony making the call to take on 3-0 is wrong (especially given his reasoning) 2. More importantly, he just threw his player under the bus. That's bad management, no matter what field you are in. 

You seem more upset about Yermin hitting a HR against the orders of the manager....I'm more concerned about Tony LaRussa giving out bad calls, then throwing his players under the bus. 

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

I agree. Back to the original point of the discussion, Mercedes should still listen to the coach and be held accountable for not doing so.

The problem is that Tony's quotes are all about swingning 3-0 and not about disregarding the take sign.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

If he blatantly ignored a sign that is a problem, but that should be handled quietly in the clubhouse.  What is more likely is he just missed the sign since it wasn't a critical situation and was facing a position player, expecting him to throw a meatball on a 3-0 count.  He probably figured as long as he was still in the game he would try his best.

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The problem is that Tony's quotes are all about swingning 3-0 and not about disregarding the take sign.

Correct. I never commented on what TLR said and when asked said I would prefer it was all kept in house. But also that it probably isn't practical to do so.

The only comment i made was that Mercedes was wrong to not listen to the coach and the only responses I've gotten are that TLR was wrong in everything he did. Not one person responded to my comment about Mercedes. 

2 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

If he blatantly ignored a sign that is a problem, but that should be handled quietly in the clubhouse.  What is more likely is he just missed the sign since it wasn't a critical situation and was facing a position player, expecting him to throw a meatball on a 3-0 count.  He probably figured as long as he was still in the game he would try his best.

This is what I've been saying. thank you. Even if he just missed a sign he needs to be held accountable, granted to a lesser degree.

For the life of me I cannot understand why a Manager would be calling for a hitter in 15-4 game to be taking on 3-0. That seems far more insulting and unsportsmanlike than whacking the crap out of a lob ball from the 3rd string catcher on the mound. And is that any more disrespectful to the game than putting that clown into pitch? I will just say that in my days as a girls softball coach, in a game that we were up big before the slaughter rule took effect, I told the kids to swing at any pitch - we were not going to prolong the game, and add to the score, by taking walks. If the batter powders it, hats off to them - otherwise it is up to the defense to do their job. Would it be more respectful to the game, if Yermin went up and batted left handed?

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

That is a great response!! Even if he doesn't fully agree with what happened (which I highly doubt is the case) - he publicly supported his teammate - unlike the curmudgeonly old school Manager.

And if, as some have suggested, Adam Eaton had words for Mercedes - his credibility long went away in 2016:

“Drake was more than just a kid that came to the clubhouse,” Eaton said. “He did more for people than we did for him by having him there every day. It’s a difficult dynamic to understand, and that’s why there’s such a strong outreach for us.

“We lost a leader in Drake, which is crazy enough that a 14-year-old could be looked at like that, but the kid was so tremendous.”

14 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

If tlr is a bad manager then ignoring his dumb decisions in order to score more or give up fewer runs is a positive move imo.

Awful take. Imagine an entire club ignoring a managers decision/call because they feel it's "dumb" whether it be correct or incorrect. 

That was definitely an intentionally dumb hot take

But at the same time, tlr is a bad manager in 2021 that has been bailed out by players like Mercedes. Telling him to take on 3-0 was dumb, and then throwing him under the bus was monumentally stupid.

Edited by StrangeSox