Can Willie Harris

winninguglyin83

As little as we saw of Harris, we saw even less of Miles.

Two mystery men at second base. KW has to do something with them. If he resigns Robbie, one of the two has to go in my opinion.

Plus, Graff is also in the mix -- I hope.

I hope the only thing Graff is in the mix for is a utility role - he's not an everyday player.

As little as we saw of Harris, we saw even less of Miles.

Two mystery men at second base. KW has to do something with them. If he resigns Robbie, one of the two has to go in my opinion.

Plus, Graff is also in the mix -- I hope.

I hope the only thing Graff is in the mix for is a utility role - he's not an everyday player.

Well I believe Graffy would be a good shortstop, but the crop of FA's I'd pick someone else, and I am excited about Aaron Miles as well...

Just to throw some stax into the debate:

Pierre turned 26 in August. Played college ball at South Alabama. Only a 13th round pick in 1998 so he wasn't a stud in college. Probably viewed as a two or three tools guy, taken mainly because he could run.

Got to the big leagues in 2000, his third pro season. In 1999, his only full season in the minors, he hit .320 with a .366 OBP in the South Atlantic League. So-so pop -- 28 doubles, 5 triples, one home run.

He doesn't strke out much, but he also doesn't have an extraordinary number of walks. Don't know the stax for this year, but in his first 1409 big-league at bats, he had only 85 walks. He makes it as a singles hitter. Prior to this season he's had 434 big-league hits and 367 have been singles.

Now, for Willie. He turned 25 in June. Played at Middle Georgia JC and Kennesaw State. Drafted in the 28th round out of high school but refused to sign with Pittsburgh. Taken in the 24th round in 1999 by Baltimore, more evidence that speed is his primary tool.

He played in the South Atlantic League in 1999, one year after Pierre. BAtting average was not nearly as good -- .274 -- but his OBP was much better -- .396 -- because he drew 89 walks. Followed that up with a .304 BA and .364 OBP in AA in 2001.

Showed more pop than Pierre in the minors -- 22 minor league homers, 22 triples and 84 doubles -- but also strikes out more than twice as much as Pierre. Unlike Pierre, Harris has never gotten a chance for 400-500 at bats in a season in the big leagues.

Bottom line: I'd like to see the Sox at least find out if the guy can play because, as I've said a zillion times, he's the only prime-time speed we have on the big club. He gives the team a different look than all the right handed sluggers who roll into all those double plays.

Harris sure hit in the minors.

At Triple A this season, he hit .380 with an OBP of .470 in 100 at bats in the International League.

Had 6 doubles, 1 triple and 6 homers -- better power numbers than Borchard during the time he was there.

17 walks, which is good

20 Ks, which is too many

9 of 12 stealing bases, which will work.

Then the sox called him up because the team needed some offense. He struggled, they benched him, I believe he was injured, went back to Charlotte, came back to Chicago and never got an extended chance.

As Hawk said, you don't bunt .380.

He's too young to be labled a AAAA player.

He's never been given an extended change to hit in the big leagues.

I hope he gets one.

Willie Harris was a big disappointment last season, but I liked what I saw from him in the last couple weeks of the season. He started to hit and he showed speed. I think if we don't resign Robbie Alomar that Harris and Miles will get the shot at 2B, which is where I think Willie should be. Graffy is the utility man, but Miles might have that role too. Wierder things have happened, but Garffy might get a shot at starting. I also see Rowand, Borchard and Reed fighting it out for CF because it doesn't look like Everett will be back unless his salary goes way down.

I see a different make up next year for this team and it may include Paul Konerko being traded and a youngster at 1B such as Gload sharing duties with the Big Hurt. I like Paul Konerko, but I think he made himself expendable.

i would love to see willie in the lineup on an everyday basis. speed on base can cause havoc for opposing defenses. i think his ideal position would be CF but if Robbie doesn't come back i wouldn't mind him at second. if he could make the necessary adjustments to his swing he would be great in the leadoff role. with him on base more it would help Carlos (assuming he stays in the 2 hole) by distracting the pitcher and him seeing more fastballs. if willie can get the at bats and combine that with a comitment to basehits and not homeruns i can see a season maybe not as good as Pierre's but better than Mike Caruso's (the last speed orientated player that the sox have had that i liked)

Willie Harris was a big disappointment last season, but I liked what I saw from him in the last couple weeks of the season. He started to hit and he showed speed. I think if we don't resign Robbie Alomar that Harris and Miles will get the shot at 2B, which is where I think Willie should be. Graffy is the utility man, but Miles might have that role too. Wierder things have happened, but Garffy might get a shot at starting. I also see Rowand, Borchard and Reed fighting it out for CF because it doesn't look like Everett will be back unless his salary goes way down.

I see a different make up next year for this team and it may include Paul Konerko being traded and a youngster at 1B such as Gload sharing duties with the Big Hurt. I like Paul Konerko, but I think he made himself expendable.

Gload isn't a youngster, I believe he's 27.

Are you sure Willie started hitting at the end?

I thought he continued to make easy outs.

I don't think we want or need Willie.

I remember late in the season he finally got on base (Like the last week when Alomar stopped starting). He was really a sparkplug.

Mix that with the fact that I'm not a big Alomar fan and I say why not save the money and go with Harris. I'd rather invest 3-4 mill which is what Alomar is rumored to get on someone else, like a very good reliever or a shortstop.

Are you sure Willie started hitting at the end?

I thought he continued to make easy outs.

I don't think we want or need Willie.

Wee Wee Willie, is still young so I want him, I expect him to hit around 300 steal a lot be energinic and everyone knows this team needs someone energnic who's not sleepin during the games,

I don't see Harris being a .300 hitter this year. But .275 with some walks would be nice from him out of the lead off spot. The Sox definietly need to see if the guy can play ball. I'd rather see Rowand in CF and Harris at 2B than Alomar at 2B and Harris in CF. I think the Rowand and Harris combo would be both more productive and cheaper.