5/21 Chicago @ New York 6:05

SoxBlanco

15 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Sunday night baseball choosing Cubs at St Louis over Sox at Yankees is lame af

I'm in Vegas with the Mrs and the games start Saturday and Sunday at like 10am. I've seen at least 70 Sox fans today and we just show love to one another in passing. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

How the fuck do we have another off day?  I thought this was the 40 games in 41 day stretch or some shit.  Happy for the players to get a win on getaway day and enjoy a relatively normal NYC however.  They deserved it.  Just don't be too hungover for the opener.

What would you do if you had to work 40 days with one off day? Baseball is a really shit schedule. 

12 hours ago, chw42 said:

You might be right, the Yankees are always on whenever I flip on MLB Network. Almost all of their day games end up on the channel.

This is correct. They don't play Saturday night home games anymore. Every time, and I mean EVERY time they are home on the weekends, they play Saturday at Noon CT.  And their game is televised by MLB Network. Can't tell me this isn't planned. 

30 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yea poor baseball players no wonder they will probably go on strike.

It is a hard life. Especially with family. I don't know how any marriages stay together or how they keep mentally in the game. I only did I for one year when I was single and it was grueling and I wasn't trying to play at that high level.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

It is a hard life. Especially with family. I don't know how any marriages stay together or how they keep mentally in the game. I only did I for one year when I was single and it was grueling and I wasn't trying to play at that high level.

Yeah when I was a kid my dream job was TV play-by-play for the Sox, but I think all that travel would wear on me. Trips to NY and LA are always fun, but it wouldn't take many years to get tired of going to Kansas City, Detroit, Cleveland and Minneapolis 3 times a year. Between spring training and the season, that's over 100 nights away from home a year.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Yes that's true but you weren't making a minimum salary of $563.5K which is the minimum salary for an MLB player now. You didn't get a pension starting at $9,000/year after 43 days on the job. You didn't get full comprehensive medical after 1 day on the active roster. Nothing is taken from your salary for the pension benefit. If you make it to10yrs in the MLB you get $68,000/yr at age 45 and if you wait till age 62 you get $220,000/yr.

I am one of the 1st ones on here to always tell others that it's a grueling schedule and players get tired and worn out and people don't like hearing it. So I am with you on that.

42 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

This is correct. They don't play Saturday night home games anymore. Every time, and I mean EVERY time they are home on the weekends, they play Saturday at Noon CT.  And their game is televised by MLB Network. Can't tell me this isn't planned. 

Of course it's planned because NY has the largest population and fan base of any team in the US which means more ratings, which means advertisers pay more and the network makes more money. They aren't trying to be fair they are trying to make money. It's also why MLB Network has NY based Mad Dog Russo with his own show.

I watched some clips where he had some guests on about the LaRussa /Mercedes incident and all he does is yell louder than his guests who have the opposing opinions. 

16 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Of course it's planned because NY has the largest population and fan base of any team in the US which means more ratings, which means advertisers pay more and the network makes more money. They aren't trying to be fair they are trying to make money. It's also why MLB Network has NY based Mad Dog Russo with his own show.

I watched some clips where he had some guests on about the LaRussa /Mercedes incident and all he does is yell louder than his guests who have the opposing opinions. 

I don't watch/listen to any sort of sports talk program. I respect former player opinions but guys like Russo or any of the talking heads at ESPN or FOX I don't value their opinions any more than my own. I tried watching Baseball Tonight on ESPN Sunday because I wanted to see what they said about the Sox but they didn't even show highlights from the game. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I have ESPN on for anything other than a college or NFL football game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

The good ones also make enough money to never worry about money again if they're not dumbasses.  So there's that.  

Also for those of you have haven't heard. A fan tweeted to Goose Island that Yermin should have a beer named after him called the Rule 5 Draft and Goose Island thought it was such a good idea that they did it. The 7.3% ABV hazy IPA is not only a nod to Yermin’s jersey number, which is 73, it is a symbol of the power of social media . https://ontapsportsnet.com/2021/04/26/goose-island-to-release-yermin-mercedes-inspired-beer-upon-fan-request/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Strongly agree. Farmer said it could be worse with family in the off season.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Also for those of you have haven't heard. A fan tweeted to Goose Island that Yermin should have a beer named after him called the Rule 5 Draft and Goose Island thought it was such a good idea that they did it. The 7.3% ABV hazy IPA is not only a nod to Yermin’s jersey number, which is 73, it is a symbol of the power of social media . https://ontapsportsnet.com/2021/04/26/goose-island-to-release-yermin-mercedes-inspired-beer-upon-fan-request/

:cheers

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yes that's true but you weren't making a minimum salary of $563.5K which is the minimum salary for an MLB player now. You didn't get a pension starting at $9,000/year after 43 days on the job. You didn't get full comprehensive medical after 1 day on the active roster. Nothing is taken from your salary for the pension benefit. If you make it to10yrs in the MLB you get $68,000/yr at age 45 and if you wait till age 62 you get $220,000/yr.

I am one of the 1st ones on here to always tell others that it's a grueling schedule and players get tired and worn out and people don't like hearing it. So I am with you on that.

All the money in the world doesn't change the fact that it is a hard life and ruins many families.

49 minutes ago, ptatc said:

All the money in the world doesn't change the fact that it is a hard life and ruins many families.

Many jobs are very very hard and health and life threatening and very stressful and families get ruined all the time regardless. Sorry not trying to be a dick but I have more pity for every day working stiffs. Moms and Dads away from each other and their kids all day. Many losing jobs,benefits and income from Covid, lay offs, cut backs. You know the working poor.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

8 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

I'm in Vegas with the Mrs and the games start Saturday and Sunday at like 10am. I've seen at least 70 Sox fans today and we just show love to one another in passing. 

I see so many Bulls and Sox hats out here and 9/10 when I ask they say "I just like the hat". Blessing and a curse I guess.

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

The good ones also make enough money to never worry about money again if they're not dumbasses.  So there's that.  

Even the not so good ones. Imagine getting $563K a year for 4 years ( and if you're around for 4 yrs it would be a lot more than that.) You put 10%  of that (after taxes) in a 401K in the stock market  and about 10 yrs. you could have another  million+ . So maybe by 40 you've got a pretty good chunk of money.  A normal guy in the $75K/yr range has to work 30 yrs and most won't be able to put very much salary (even if you're company matches up to a certain %) in a 401K or savings plan to get them to $1M after that 30yrs.

11 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I see so many Bulls and Sox hats out here and 9/10 when I ask they say "I just like the hat". Blessing and a curse I guess.

Pretty much the same everywhere outside of Chicago. Sox caps became cool in the rap community so there's that lingering effect. I think most caps other than Sox and Yankees it's usually fans of the team wearing them.

35 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I was in Toronto with some buddies and saw a guy wearing a Sox hat. He legit said he only wore it because "he saw a rapper he likes wearing it." Lol smh.

Also just an FYI, my coworker pointed out to me that the Bears play in Vegas Sunday October 10th. With the Bears there, and the Sox in the playoffs it should be like Little Chicago out there. We are already planning a trip.

Edited by DoUEvenShift

23 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Pretty much the same everywhere outside of Chicago. Sox caps became cool in the rap community so there's that lingering effect. I think most caps other than Sox and Yankees it's usually fans of the team wearing them.

It seems to me, around here at least, that you know they are an actual Sox fan if they are wearing a cap that is different than the silver and black version.  But I could be wrong.  Personally I own a collection...too many according to me wife, not enough according to me...of Sox caps but I do not own any of the silver and black.