May 20 Games

BamaDoc

1 hour ago, Blackout Friday said:

Kanny on their way to 1-14....pretty remarkable.

And yet hardly surprising if you follow the minor leagues...the diminished number of players drafted last year that would be expected to fill out a roster (especially advanced NCAA D-1 selections from upper tier programs) of a Low A team the following April.   That's where the gap in talent is, along with cutting back on their short-season teams (Great Falls, used to be Bristol as well in the APPY League) over the past couple of seasons.

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

And yet hardly surprising if you follow the minor leagues...the diminished number of players drafted last year that would be expected to fill out a roster (especially advanced NCAA D-1 selections from upper tier programs) of a Low A team the following April.   That's where the gap in talent is, along with cutting back on their short-season teams (Great Falls, used to be Bristol as well in the APPY League) over the past couple of seasons.

No...it’s surprising. Almost all the recent young Latin and high school talent worth getting excited about is on that roster. 

40 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

No...it’s surprising. Almost all the recent young Latin and high school talent worth getting excited about is on that roster. 

The record is surprising but the struggles aren’t. Most of these guys haven’t played above complex ball and the pitching isn’t good. The prospects are on pitch limits and the rest is cheaper college picks that fill minor league rosters. Low A has been quite a jump for many of these guys. There isn’t really an alternative though. 

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The record is surprising but the struggles aren’t. Most of these guys haven’t played above complex ball and the pitching isn’t good. The prospects are on pitch limits and the rest is cheaper college picks that fill minor league rosters. Low A has been quite a jump for many of these guys. There isn’t really an alternative though. 

I've said this before, but it will be interesting to see how the lack of rookie ball impacts future high school picks. Unless the player is a complete stud, they will probably struggle big time with the jump to A ball. 

10 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

That’s true, I guess I’m making the assumption a lot of the competition is in a similar position. I haven’t been paying close attention lately, though, so maybe not the case. 

8 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

That’s true, I guess I’m making the assumption a lot of the competition is in a similar position. I haven’t been paying close attention lately, though, so maybe not the case. 

Yeah. I mean the offense I am not surprised is struggling but the pitching was also paper thin after the teenagers. I would expect quite a bit of turnover in them trying out some different bullpen pieces that may have been slated for AZ, because this group is pretty terrible.

Kanny might be the worst team in the minors but they're also the most interesting team to me in our minors outside of Charlotte which is only interesting because it has some depth pieces and trade pieces.  If there's a difference maker to be found he will probably rise from that team. 

I just hope Benny Bailey can get his average up above .200 by the end of the year.  That's probably a success if he does.

Man our system is barren.  We definitely need to kill it in these next couple drafts.

10 hours ago, ron883 said:

I've said this before, but it will be interesting to see how the lack of rookie ball impacts future high school picks. Unless the player is a complete stud, they will probably struggle big time with the jump to A ball. 

With the draft being pushed into July I think these guys will go to the AZL and the AZL will develop into this kind replacement league.  Maybe 2 levels, 2 teams per org like essentially an AZL- and AZL+.  I think a big issue for MLB (the owners) is controlling everything including costs and they all own their AZL teams.

But AZL to A- is probably going to be a massive jump anyway.  I mean A- gets MLB guys on rehab assignments sometimes, they get guys returned to them who murdered the level before but struggled in A+ etc. lots of experienced pros go there.  Just maybe the AZL will develop so the jump is not nearly as significant as it is now.

It's also just possible that the long layoffs have made the jump for this season look a lot worse than it will normally be in the future.