5/23 White Sox vs Yankees

reiks12

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

Yeah...that one seems a little unfair. Eloy is a 40+ guy, Robert should be at 20-25+ and I think we all thought Vaughn would be showing a little more power. Madrigal-Eaton are really the only spots in the lineup where decent to good power wasn’t expected. 

It’s more they didn’t bother bringing in any legit bats for the bench in case of likely injury to the main guys.

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Engel isn’t even a “real” two-way threat outfielder....well, unless you count a sixty game season with 33% of matchups against KCR and DET pitching.

Adam Engel is a darn good player and when he gets back it will make this team better 

• Like 2

Just now, elrockinMT said:

Adam Engel is a darn good player and when he gets back it will make this team better 

And after about a week of seeing him try to hit tough RHP, we will be asking about who can platoon with him in CF.

Just now, fathom said:

It’s more they didn’t bother bringing in any legit bats for the bench in case of likely injury to the main guys.

Yes, that’s a problem...but I was always under the belief they were in fairly large trouble once Eloy went down from a power perspective. They could have brought in a LaStella or something (which I wanted) but I don’t know how much that really impacts this team. 

It’s not to say you throw your hands up in the air and say “Oh well” but losing Eloy and Robert can’t just be replaced by depth, those are two tremendously important pieces to the lineup that thus far the team has seemingly overcome...but that was always going to be impossible to cover over the entire season. At some point those injuries were really going to hurt. And my point is I think it is fairly unrealistic to expect the Sox to have guys as “depth” that could really impact things significantly to replace Eloy and Robert. (That’s not even taking into account the Sox “depth” for Eloy was the best player in baseball for April) 

3 minutes ago, Tomtom said:

The 26-16 record was obviously fool’s  gold  achieved primarily against a crappy central division (minus Cleveland).  This team is not ready to play the big boys. What we Are seeing this weekend is not all Yankee pitching.  I guarantee the next time Montgomery and Taillon pitch other teams will hit them.

This looks plainly obvious, and the Yanks are in a much better division, and keep in mind everyone seemed to think the Sox looked considerably better (on paper) than the Yankees and I was absolutely eviscerated here for comparing the 2. 

Problem is too many people think "on paper." As I said before, the Yankees don't have the stigma and mental hurdles the Sox do and that DOES make a difference. 

Cavan Biggio with the extremely rare spine ligament strain...IL bound.

Torkelson hit his first minor league/MiLB homer.

Yankees’ crew bringing up the 80’s Cards’ with Coleman and McGee...in terms of forcing Hamilton to put the ball up in the air or K.  Interestingly, minor league SB numbers are up by around 75% this early season.  Compensating for lack of offense...and the need to manufacture runs moreso than in the past due to the extreme K and BB numbers, lack of contact overall.

4 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

Let's just be realistic. Sox with all these injuries will contend all year in the Central but are just another Central team. Injuries have decimated the big picture right now. Goal: Win the weak division, get reinforcements for playoffs and also make one trade before the deadline.

Sox do not have an elite team right now. They do have a team that can win the Central and win it all with guys coming back from injuries and making one good trade at the deadline.

Grandal baby you got to start hitting, though the walks are nice.

1 minute ago, JoeyCoralFanClub said:

Does this rebuild seem way behind schedule to anyone else? I mean no one would have believed you if you told them back in 2017 that the Sox would be running an outfield of Jake Lamb, Adam Eaton, and Billy Hamilton against the Yankees in New York during May of 2021. 

Not behind schedule. The injuries are what's fucking it up. Their LF, CF, and 4th OF all on IL doesn't help their depth.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Yes, that’s a problem...but I was always under the belief they were in fairly large trouble once Eloy went down from a power perspective. They could have brought in a LaStella or something (which I wanted) but I don’t know how much that really impacts this team. 

It’s not to say you throw your hands up in the air and say “Oh well” but losing Eloy and Robert can’t just be replaced by depth, those are two tremendously important pieces to the lineup that thus far the team has seemingly overcome...but that was always going to be impossible to cover over the entire season. At some point those injuries were really going to hurt. And my point is I think it is fairly unrealistic to expect the Sox to have guys as “depth” that could really impact things significantly to replace Eloy and Robert. (That’s not even taking into account the Sox “depth” for Eloy was the best player in baseball for April) 

Being dependent upon a self-destructive defensive liability is not a stellar strategy. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, fathom said:

Sox have 3 runs in their last 37 innings. 2 of those were scored on an infield hit and a blooper.  Thank god the Sox prioritized speed and defense instead of power.

This is very frustrating. Keep hearing about run differentials and all that but if you keep going into corpseball stretches against good teams then that's just gonna end up being another worthless statistic.

1 minute ago, JoeyCoralFanClub said:

Does this rebuild seem way behind schedule to anyone else? I mean no one would have believed you if you told them back in 2017 that the Sox would be running an outfield of Jake Lamb, Adam Eaton, and Billy Hamilton against the Yankees in New York during May of 2021. 

We are clearly not the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, Astros, Padres...they can much more easily absorb the losses of two key players with payroll, depth and the minor league talent to replenish via trades.

• Like 1

Just now, manbearpuig said:

Not behind schedule. The injuries are what's fucking it up. Their LF, CF, and 4th OF all on IL doesn't help their depth.

Yeah but last year we had EE and Mazara starting everyday. We also had an injury to Madrigal and Timmy. Eloy went down a few times and Robert had a major slump. We didn't have a third starter. Injuries hurt but this team is still positioned as is to have better success than last season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, manbearpuig said:

Injuries have hurt for sure but where is the minor league depth? The point of tearing everything down was to accumulate a deep farm system no? 

5 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

This looks plainly obvious, and the Yanks are in a much better division, and keep in mind everyone seemed to think the Sox looked considerably better (on paper) than the Yankees and I was absolutely eviscerated here for comparing the 2. 

Problem is too many people think "on paper." As I said before, the Yankees don't have the stigma and mental hurdles the Sox do and that DOES make a difference. 

Prove it genius boy!

• Kyyle23 unpinned and locked this topic