Close Safe/Out Call at First Base

SoxBlanco

On a close play at first base, is the runner out when the ball enters the glove or when the ball touches the back of the glove? I swear I have heard announcers say it just needs to enter the glove, but I can’t find an official rule on that through my various Google searches. Anybody have a link for that rule?

1 minute ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I have no link but I'm pretty sure it's when the player has control of the baseball...which in my opinion would be when it hits the back of the glove.

That’s what I always thought and what makes the most sense, but that’s why what an announcer said (maybe Benetti?) is sticking out to me. I was surprised when I heard it. 

1 minute ago, SoxBlanco said:

This is exactly what I’ve heard. So it doesn’t need to touch the back of the glove, right?  Who said that?

ESPN crew.  The funny thing is Astros fans swear Palmeiro was safe on the last out of 2005.  Definitely looks out to me.

Considering  the large first baseman's gloves and so many close plays at first this is a good question. On "bang-bang" plays  the ump sometimes listens for the sound of the ball hitting the glove while looking at the base to see when contact was made. If you couple that with the rule that clear video evidence is needed to overturn a call on the field it still leaves some wiggle room. Back in the day, "tie goes to the runner" was a gentlemanly way that these close plays got resolved. Now we need frame by frame analysis by off-site experts in NY.