What music have you bought lately ?

Bazox

• 2 weeks later...

I haven’t bought music in quite a while either, but I have been listening to Tuvan music recently. From the central Asian Russian republic of Tuva. This stuff is wild. There’s a ton on Spotify but Sainkho Namtchylak is a good place to start if you want to listen to something different:

Edited by Vulture

grabbed some new stuff and catching up on some old gems that I missed out on as well:

New- Liz Phair, St. Vincent, Czarface/MF DOOM, Lana Del Rey

Old- Shabazz Palaces, Outkast (Aquemini), J. Dilla (Donuts), Redman (Muddy Waters), Black Thought (Streams of Thought Vol. 1-3), Quicksand (Slip)

17 minutes ago, Leonard Zelig said:

Not to the people making the music. 

The royalty structure was fucked up far before Apple Music/Spotify etc.  I have interviewed multiple musicians that told me their money was made in their label contract and touring, CDs/physical media was basically nothing for them

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

The royalty structure was fucked up far before Apple Music/Spotify etc.  I have interviewed multiple musicians that told me their money was made in their label contract and touring, CDs/physical media was basically nothing for them

Absolutely, but there’s more to it than just the income.  Album sales can determine if a band gets a chance to make another album with any kind of label support.  I will try to find an interview I watched a while ago explaining the effects of streaming across the industry even down recording engineers and other people you wouldn’t think of.

To be clear, I’m not trying to call anyone out on using streaming  services, I use them. 

Edited by Leonard Zelig

• 7 months later...

I did a deep dive on Neal Young's site. It started as a way to test my new Sennheiser headphones and DAC but ended with a much greater appreciation for Young's career. I also appreciated paying that site directly. I assume that Young gets the bulk of the payments.

10 hours ago, Texsox said:

I did a deep dive on Neal Young's site. It started as a way to test my new Sennheiser headphones and DAC but ended with a much greater appreciation for Young's career. I also appreciated paying that site directly. I assume that Young gets the bulk of the payments.

Just bought the reissue of "Harvest" on vinyl.

Question: Which Sennheisers and which dac are you using? I have 660 S but my dac and amp are backordered.

Edited by Vacheron

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

I'm not near them but I think HD 6xx. My son picked them up on massdrop as a gift. The DAC is a Shiit 

I really liked them both. I've basically been hearing everything I missed in the 70s. 

Same! but I ordered a Schiit DAC but they're backordered due to parts shortage. Super jealous. Bought a stand-in DAC on Amazon and it's still a huge improvement over wireless bluetooth NC headphones.

The 6xx are a great way to ruin all other headphones for about $200.

Edited by Vacheron
  • Thanks 1

I hadn't really used headphones since my college DJ years and that wasn't really for listening. 

The first night I was listening to some classic rock from the 60s and 70s and was blown away by layers I never heard before. Some acts that I thought were ok back then went to the top of my list like Steely Dan. 

I thought $200 was crazy. With my well earned tinnitus I didn't think anything could sound that good. 

59 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I hadn't really used headphones since my college DJ years and that wasn't really for listening. 

The first night I was listening to some classic rock from the 60s and 70s and was blown away by layers I never heard before. Some acts that I thought were ok back then went to the top of my list like Steely Dan. 

I thought $200 was crazy. With my well earned tinnitus I didn't think anything could sound that good. 

The first thing I noticed with mine was the sounds stage. You're just so used to music in a box with regular headphones. then, with the open backs, you're treated to a rhythm guitar in one part of the stage, the piano in another, and the vocal right in the middle.

Do you stream? which service do you use?

• 2 weeks later...

While working I stream various songs/albums on Youtube, even picking up artists I had limited familiarity with just to get another perspective and variation on music

Some stuff I've been playing of late off the top of my head:

The Count Five-A 60s band, love their song psychotic reaction and wanted to dive deeper. Results were not great. Their other music wasn't bad, but just didn't live up to that one song I liked

Listened to some afro-beats music-Artists I can't recall, it was more a mix play list. The music was exclusively from either 1 or 2 African nations. It was different, but I thought pretty cool

Old Crow Medicine Show-A roots act. Much like The Count Five, one song by this band (Wagon Wheel) drove me to dig deeper into their material. Unlike Count Five, I was excited and impressed with this band's overall depth of quality music. 

My Chemical Romance-An "emo" band from the 2000s. Went there by a recommendation from a Youtuber who is into heavier music. Much to his shock he liked their music. Same as me, I think their album Black Parade is pretty brilliant. I dug into their first two records, the first was more hardcore sounding, the second was very poppy/emo, but still good

Arrested Development-Decided to hit this act up deeper. They are a 90s hip hop group. I recall liking their one song "Tennessee" off their first album. I went back and listened to that in its entirety. Just sensational. Also checked out their follow up Zingalamaduni. While not near as ground breaking as their first one, some quality tracks on there, like Afrika's Inside Me and United Front

Overkill-Taking Over. Thrash band from the 80s. I was more into Hello From the Gutter and Years of Decay. I do not like their first album Feel the Fire, so I guess I sorta skipped over Taking Over. It rages. Way heavier, better playing and song writing than on the very bleh first album. If you need to demo a room, this is a good album

Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon. I have never liked Pink Floyd all that much. And I have tried to get into them. While I still won't put them as my favorite band, my subsequent listens to this very classic album seem to be going down a lot better these days. It's innovative music as I always knew, but there is also an excitement to their music that I originally did not capture

Also, as an aficionado of rock music and rock history I once again TRIED to get into rock between 1959 (after the Day the Music Died plane crash) and 1963/1964 when the Beatles broke. I hate it, can't find jackshit. NOW, Motown was bringing the goods, but rock music was really dead at this point. I am sorry but Pat Boone, Fabian, Paul Anka and the like do nothing for me. This was house-broken watered down pop. The only remotely credible of these "so called rockers" were Ricky Nelson and perhaps Bobby Darin. The rest were a flotsam. 

• 3 months later...