Updates on Kopech

joejoesox

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He needs to start pitching again imo.  At this point rust and development outweigh any potential innings limit.  I know they are slow playing this but it's probably time to get him back out there here in a few days.

They need to get him back when he is healthy.  No other reason to rush him back.

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

No reason to slow play it either.  I think it's pretty clear they are, for whatever reason.

He was very obviously hurt when he went down, and we know how funny the Hamstring can be.  Even if they do draw it out, that's cool.  It allows us to not have to worry about dead arm and innings limits.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

He was very obviously hurt when he went down, and we know how funny the Hamstring can be.  Even if they do draw it out, that's cool.  It allows us to not have to worry about dead arm and innings limits.

I guess it also gives them an opportunity to look at some other guys like Burr.  I'm just greedy, I love watching him pitch.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He needs to start pitching again imo.  At this point rust and development outweigh any potential innings limit.  I know they are slow playing this but it's probably time to get him back out there here in a few days.

He didn't show any rust from being off nearly two years, a few extra weeks away is not a bad thing. I'd rather have Kopech ready to fire 4 innings in September/October than being restricted or being concerned about the following year. 

Honestly, tying a few threads together, I'd go as far as saying signing someone like Cole Hamels would make a ton of sense. He's still throwing, he's had interest in teh Sox before, and his acquisition cost is absolutely nothing outside of money. He'd allow for a veteran arm to step in, take innings and give our rotation an extra day or even a Dodger approach where they all go on the IL for a few weeks at a time to limit innings. Based on how this year is playing out the only real threat to our division race is the indians who are now without Bieber and really just don't have the rotation depth or offensive depth to hold in through the end of September. That is an 85 win team. We are a 90-95 win team even with our current injuries. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

He didn't show any rust from being off nearly two years, a few extra weeks away is not a bad thing. I'd rather have Kopech ready to fire 4 innings in September/October than being restricted or being concerned about the following year. 

Honestly, tying a few threads together, I'd go as far as saying signing someone like Cole Hamels would make a ton of sense. He's still throwing, he's had interest in teh Sox before, and his acquisition cost is absolutely nothing outside of money. He'd allow for a veteran arm to step in, take innings and give our rotation an extra day or even a Dodger approach where they all go on the IL for a few weeks at a time to limit innings. Based on how this year is playing out the only real threat to our division race is the indians who are now without Bieber and really just don't have the rotation depth or offensive depth to hold in through the end of September. That is an 85 win team. We are a 90-95 win team even with our current injuries. 

He's not even pitching this year. No one wanted him. "Only money" would have to be a minor league deal and who knows if he even thinks that worth it. Probably not since he wasn't signed by anyone. He hasn't announced his retirement but he might as well unless an overture to him and a willingness to pitch in the minors is acceptable.

4 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

No reason to slow play it either.  I think it's pretty clear they are, for whatever reason.

They have an innings limit, we don’t know it but this is a perfect opportunity for the team to manage it and insure he is available when games matter.

With Crochet now being stretched out to  cover two innings, I’m more than pleased at the way the team has managed Kopech and Crochet. They are not sacrificing their development game plan for immediate in game needs.

I expect Crochet to pitch tonight, as he has been pitching every third day as of late. Some criticize bringing him in when they “don’t need him” (with a large lead or down), but I agree with keeping the set schedule and keeping the controlled development on schedule.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

They have an innings limit, we don’t know it but this is a perfect opportunity for the team to manage it and insure he is available when games matter.

With Crochet now being stretched out to  cover two innings, I’m more than pleased at the way the team has managed Kopech and Crochet. They are not sacrificing their development game plan for immediate in game needs.

I expect Crochet to pitch tonight, as he has been pitching every third day as of late. Some criticize bringing him in when they “don’t need him” (with a large lead or down), but I agree with keeping the set schedule and keeping the controlled development on schedule.

I can't complain about anything they are doing with Crochett or the pitching staff this year. I love that they are slowly working in Garrett and developing his three pitch arsenal with a little less top end velocity.  Keep him healthy and keep him on a path to being a starter at some point next year and in the mean time he's a deadly weapon out of the pen. Oh, and he was like in college 18 months ago.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I guess it also gives them an opportunity to look at some other guys like Burr.  I'm just greedy, I love watching him pitch.

I love watching him pitch too - but with how little he has thrown - they had to really manage his innings and having this type of break, especially with the clubs record etc - is really good when it comes to ensuring we can watch him be awesome in the postseason (vs. getting shut down, etc).  

• Love 1

18 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He's not even pitching this year. No one wanted him. "Only money" would have to be a minor league deal and who knows if he even thinks that worth it. Probably not since he wasn't signed by anyone. He hasn't announced his retirement but he might as well unless an overture to him and a willingness to pitch in the minors is acceptable.

okay. we'll bookmark this and when he signs a major league deal in the next month for several million dollars you can explain your way out of it. 

he signed a $18mm deal the prior year, had some injuries and wasn't fully healthy. he's been throwing and sounds like he'll have a showcase in the coming weeks/month. 

He wasn't fully healthy in the offseason ... therefore no deals. 

40 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

okay. we'll bookmark this and when he signs a major league deal in the next month for several million dollars you can explain your way out of it. 

he signed a $18mm deal the prior year, had some injuries and wasn't fully healthy. he's been throwing and sounds like he'll have a showcase in the coming weeks/month. 

He wasn't fully healthy in the offseason ... therefore no deals. 

I wrote that because I was purely speculating based on the last time he pitched. His health and the fact that the last time he signed for $18M with the Braves he pitched 3 innings plus his age would justify me speculating that way. Whether he signs a minor league deal or gets a few million for a half a season isn't a big difference.

Obviously you had knowledge of the showcase coming up and I did not. But I don't think what I said was way off base. I thought Rodon would get a minor league deal too. Some people thought he'd get $5M minimum. Who knows if another team would ve offered him anything less or more than the $3M the Sox gave him. He probably should have had a show case like Kluber. That seems to help when you say "hey look at me" and teams come out to see you, otherwise you become an afterthought . :cheers

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Honestly, of all the things the Sox need, starting pitching (presumably we're not talking about trying to plug Hamels into the BP here) is way down on the list. If he impresses at his showcase, then surely some other playoff-contender will offer him an opportunity to start. Now of course, shit does happen and we could take a hit to our starting pitching and RH would look like a genius. OTH, until then, where would we use him? I have a suspicion that Cease may not be a part of the playoff rotation as we will likely not be playing the Tigers. However, I think that in such a case Kopech will be the one to take his spot.

This is a team whose strongest aspect is starting pitching that was satisfied to go into the playoffs last year with only two legit starting pitchers. RF/BP and to a lesser extent 2B should be the priorities. I would hope their focus is not on the strongest part of the team.