Updates on Kopech

joejoesox

21 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Thats fine. Get fully healthy, no rush as he will be very important in 2nd half and playoffs. Pitching is a position of strength for us....

On the other hand we could use some good news on Eloy and Luis.....

We got good news on Eloy and Luis.

These injuries have gotten really old...but perhaps we have gotten a chance to discover Mercedes and develop Vaughn and his outfield skills.  We certainly will have a chance to see Engel developed into his full potential.  Lastly...once again we are seeing that good pitching can hide a multitude of problems.  If the full squad is together for the Fall...we will be a favorite to go far in the playoffs and WS.🙂

6 minutes ago, poppysox said:

These injuries have gotten really old...but perhaps we have gotten a chance to discover Mercedes and develop Vaughn and his outfield skills.  We certainly will have a chance to see Engel developed into his full potential.  Lastly...once again we are seeing that good pitching can hide a multitude of problems.  If the full squad is together for the Fall...we will be a favorite to go far in the playoffs and WS.🙂

You're not wrong, Poppy. Now granted Mercedes has sort of cratered back to earth, but maybe he picks it up again...he 100% will have the opportunity to show us that. 

But to your point, Mercedes is 100% in AAA if we have a healthy roster. If Vaughn can pick up his hitting a bit in the 2nd half, I still think he might be the RF for next season, and hopefully, Mercedes can put together a solid 2nd half that gives the Sox hope he can stick at DH. (I'd still love to get a real LF and have Eloy DH at this point, but whatever) 

It's not perfect by any means, but the injuries have given the Sox opportunities to see what they have in some guys and all the while the Sox are still in 1st. 

43 minutes ago, Tony said:

You're not wrong, Poppy. Now granted Mercedes has sort of cratered back to earth, but maybe he picks it up again...he 100% will have the opportunity to show us that. 

But to your point, Mercedes is 100% in AAA if we have a healthy roster. If Vaughn can pick up his hitting a bit in the 2nd half, I still think he might be the RF for next season, and hopefully, Mercedes can put together a solid 2nd half that gives the Sox hope he can stick at DH. (I'd still love to get a real LF and have Eloy DH at this point, but whatever) 

It's not perfect by any means, but the injuries have given the Sox opportunities to see what they have in some guys and all the while the Sox are still in 1st. 

No reason Burger can’t be in the DH picture...along with Sheets.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Talk about slow playing it.  I hope this lack of innings pays off in October.

This is just it...he can either be starter or 2-3 inning high leverage guy since his innings are down because of this injury. Honestly...this was the best thing that could have happened with Kopech. And if cease and rodon keep to form...kopech may not have  a rotation spot like we all assumed. Him being in that swing role is exactly what made the Dodgers win it all last year. He may be the righty piece they need after all. 

Edited by EloyJenkins

35 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

This is just it...he can either be starter or 2-3 inning high leverage guy since his innings are down because of this injury. Honestly...this was the best thing that could have happened with Kopech. And if cease and rodon keep to form...kopech may not have  a rotation spot like we all assumed. Him being in that swing role is exactly what made the Dodgers win it all last year. He may be the righty piece they need after all. 

Agreed you need a big 3 to get to the dance and the sox have that in spades limiting Kopech and to a lesser extent Crochet's workloads with an eye on the pennant is what they should be doing with a 4.5 lead in the division and the best run diff in baseball.

5 hours ago, 2Deep said:

Thats fine. Get fully healthy, no rush as he will be very important in 2nd half and playoffs. Pitching is a position of strength for us....

On the other hand we could use some good news on Eloy and Luis.....

Eloy has missed two and a half months already and could be back around Field of Dreams. I think Luis will be back first week of September. 

On 6/11/2021 at 9:19 AM, beautox said:

Agreed you need a big 3 to get to the dance and the sox have that in spades limiting Kopech and to a lesser extent Crochet's workloads with an eye on the pennant is what they should be doing with a 4.5 lead in the division and the best run diff in baseball.

Don't forget Rodon. There's a good chance he might not be around for the playoffs.  41-24 , 16 games left to reach the season midpoint. 66.2 IP so far. Assume he makes 3 more starts 5  IP /start to reach the midway point . That will give him right around 82 IP . Let me conservatively estimate 10 starts in the 2nd half at 5 IP/start to add another 55 innings which equals 137 IP.

How many IP do we think Rodon is capable of after pitching a combined 42 IP in the last 2 years ? 125 ? 150 ?

In the 2019 WS Nats v. Astros  9 starting pitchers were used. The 7 best all had between 184 and 258 IP

Rodon and Cease have never come close to that amount of IP.  The last time Keuchel did it was 2018. The Nats  ( the WS winners) used 5 different starting pitchers in the WS and the Astros used 4 . It's a fallacy that the Sox will only need 3 SP in the World Series. If you are looking for a big 3 it's likely to be Lynn Giolito and Keuchel or Cease .  Rodon and Kopech will likely be over the IP goals the Sox had hoped they could pitch this year and way over anything they have done in the past 2 years. Cease could also fit into that category. Keuchel will certainly pitch his most innings since 2018.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

40 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Don't forget Rodon. There's a good chance he might not be around for the playoffs.  41-24 , 16 games left to reach the season midpoint. 66.2 IP so far. Assume he makes 3 more starts 5  IP /start to reach the midway point . That will give him right around 82 IP . Let me conservatively estimate 10 starts in the 2nd half at 5 IP/start to add another 55 innings which equals 137 IP.

How many IP do we think Rodon is capable of after pitching a combined 42 IP in the last 2 years ? 125 ? 150 ?

In the 2019 WS Nats v. Astros  9 starting pitchers were used. The 7 best all had between 184 and 258 IP

Rodon and Cease have never come close to that amount of IP.  The last time Keuchel did it was 2018. The Nats  ( the WS winners) used 5 different starting pitchers in the WS and the Astros used 4 . It's a fallacy that the Sox will only need 3 SP in the World Series. If you are looking for a big 3 it's likely to be Lynn Giolito and Keuchel or Cease .  Rodon and Kopech will likely be over the IP goals the Sox had hoped they could pitch this year and way over anything they have done in the past 2 years. Cease could also fit into that category. Keuchel will certainly pitch his most innings since 2018.

Are you suggesting the Sox would shut him down, or that you think he'll be injured?  If the former, I haven't heard any indication that the team is planning on limiting his innings, have you?

Just now, 35thstreetswarm said:

Are you suggesting the Sox would shut him down, or that you think he'll be injured?  If the former, I haven't heard any indication that the team is planning on limiting his innings, have you?

This is from a Sun-Times article in March:

Monitoring workloads, pitch counts and health in a full season after last season’s abbreviated 60-game slate is priority No. 1 for first-year pitching coach Ethan Katz. He likes what he has seen from Rodon this spring, and it started in the training room during the offseason.

“We really put together a customized program for him,” Katz told the Chicago Sun-Times. “He’s really enjoying it from the work, delivery standpoint, in the training room, with the medical staff, strength coaches, to upping his intensity mentally in bullpens.

“We’re challenging him, and he’s been really receptive to everything. It’s working well for him and showing up in his outings. We’re trying to give him different outlooks of what he might have been in the past, how we can help him stay healthy and stay on the field.”

As far as what I have been talking about in many posts among different threads the post you quoted says it all. How in the world can anyone expect Rodon to pitch over 150 innings when he has pitched 42 combined innings in the last 2 years. Did you see all the innings pitched for all the guys in the last full season World Series I listed in 2019 ? 7 of the 9 starters pitched 184 + innings.

It would be a pitching miracle 1. If Rodon stays healthy. 2. He can pitch that many innings and , 3. If he can pitch over 150 inning at the same effectiveness or close to it as he is now.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

This is from a Sun-Times article in March:

Monitoring workloads, pitch counts and health in a full season after last season’s abbreviated 60-game slate is priority No. 1 for first-year pitching coach Ethan Katz. He likes what he has seen from Rodon this spring, and it started in the training room during the offseason.

“We really put together a customized program for him,” Katz told the Chicago Sun-Times. “He’s really enjoying it from the work, delivery standpoint, in the training room, with the medical staff, strength coaches, to upping his intensity mentally in bullpens.

“We’re challenging him, and he’s been really receptive to everything. It’s working well for him and showing up in his outings. We’re trying to give him different outlooks of what he might have been in the past, how we can help him stay healthy and stay on the field.”

As far as what I have been talking about in many posts among different threads the post you quoted says it all. How in the world can anyone expect Rodon to pitch over 150 innings when he has pitched 42 combined innings in the last 2 years. Did you see all the innings pitched for all the guys in the last full season World Series I listed in 2019 ? 7 of the 9 starters pitched 184 + innings.

It would be a pitching miracle 1. If Rodon stays healthy. 2. He can pitch that many innings and , 3. If he can pitch over 150 inning at the same effectiveness or close to it as he is now.

OK.  I agree there's plenty of reason to doubt he stays healthy.  But I suspect the team plans to pitch him as long as he is.  Here's hoping he doesn't lose effectiveness as the season wears on.

15 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

OK.  I agree there's plenty of reason to doubt he stays healthy.  But I suspect the team plans to pitch him as long as he is.  Here's hoping he doesn't lose effectiveness as the season wears on.

They have randomly skipped him and then they will do moreso in the 2nd half.  At the end of the year I think he will have 125 innings.  I think they ratchet back on Cease at some point.

51 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

That makes more sense. With the likelihood is that he goes to another team next year its hard to imagine they just shut him down on innings before his season with the Sox ends.