Dominikk85

What should be Done on sticky substances   

94 members have voted

1. 1. Sticky substances

• Let pitchers go and it is a level playing field
    • Ban all substances and enforce it
    • Allow a standardized substance

On 6/7/2021 at 11:34 AM, southsider2k5 said:

Oops? He made a big fuss about this for years and then said he was going to use sticky substances so the MLB would do something about. Got himself a $100m contract doing it and now the MLB is doing what he wanted. 

39 minutes ago, YoYoIsMyHero said:

Oops? He made a big fuss about this for years and then said he was going to use sticky substances so the MLB would do something about. Got himself a $100m contract doing it and now the MLB is doing what he wanted. 

Yeah people love to act like Bauer's been got. He begged the MLB to police this stuff. Talked specifically about the differences certain substances could make based on his experiments. Still nothing from MLB. Then he started doing what many others are doing and his spin rates increased exactly how much he said they could. Now he's not denying his own use (as opposed to whatever drivel is coming out of Cole's mouth) and holding the same opinion he's always had.

TLDR, Bauer brought the issue to light, the MLB ignored him, Bauer took that as his green light and Bauer won the Cy Young and a $100 million contract. The joke is not on Trevor Bauer who has been transparent and informative through all of this. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, mqr said:

Pete Alonso seems to be on them MLB only cares because it’s CBA time train

well if I had a declining ISO every year to the point where I went from an elite power hitter as a rookie to a mediocre one by the time my FA was approaching I'd be salty too.  MLB adjusts the baseballs, thinking they do it for FA is beyond stupid.  Manfred isn't that clever by half.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

well if I had a declining ISO every year to the point where I went from an elite power hitter as a rookie to a mediocre one by the time my FA was approaching I'd be salty too.  MLB adjusts the baseballs, thinking they do it for FA is beyond stupid.  Manfred isn't that clever by half.

Alonso is still only in what amounts to the end of his second full season, entering third year. 

Edited by caulfield12

Solid piece in The Athletic, covering pitchers with the highest increase in 4 seem fastball spin rate, 2019 vs. 2021. The top 6 have seen a 6%+ increase, more suspect than the next tier.

https://theathletic.com/2645556/2021/06/11/suspect-spin-rates-trevor-bauer-heads-group-of-pitchers-that-have-made-improbable-rpm-gains-in-2021/

1. Trevor Bauer 17.1%
  2. Tyler Mahle 13.9%
  3. Walker Buehler 6.9%
  4. Dylan Cease 6.6%
  5. Tyler Glasnow 6.4%
  6. Joe Musgrove 6.3%
  7. Lucas Giolito 4.0%
  8. Tyler Anderson 3.3%
  9. Clayton Kershaw 2.5%
  10. John Means 2.1%

Cues Squeeze's Cool for Katz.

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Solid piece in The Athletic, covering pitchers with the highest increase in 4 seem fastball spin rate, 2019 vs. 2021. The top 6 have seen a 6%+ increase, more suspect than the next tier.

https://theathletic.com/2645556/2021/06/11/suspect-spin-rates-trevor-bauer-heads-group-of-pitchers-that-have-made-improbable-rpm-gains-in-2021/

1. Trevor Bauer 17.1%
  2. Tyler Mahle 13.9%
  3. Walker Buehler 6.9%
  4. Dylan Cease 6.6%
  5. Tyler Glasnow 6.4%
  6. Joe Musgrove 6.3%
  7. Lucas Giolito 4.0%
  8. Tyler Anderson 3.3%
  9. Clayton Kershaw 2.5%
  10. John Means 2.1%

Cues Squeeze's Cool for Katz.

At least with Cease, increasing his spin rate was a stated goal for the offseason involving actual adjustments based on feedback from Katz.

• Haha 1

Reading everything from Passan and Heyman, they're not gonna allow any foreign substances aside from rosin. All pitchers will be checked after they come out of the game or in between innings. Of course it's gonna depend on if the umpires want to enforce it. For a team that relies on pitching as much as we do, I don't think this is gonna end up being a good thing.

8 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Reading everything from Passan and Heyman, they're not gonna allow any foreign substances aside from rosin. All pitchers will be checked after they come out of the game or in between innings. Of course it's gonna depend on if the umpires want to enforce it. For a team that relies on pitching as much as we do, I don't think this is gonna end up being a good thing.

OTOH RIP Cleveland’s whole staff

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Hmmm...

5 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

OTOH RIP Cleveland’s whole staff

They were already dead to begin with. Although Karinchak may be in complete shambles. He's literally gonna be Wild Thing from Major League before he got his glasses. 

Starters will get periodic checks every game either between innings or after he comes out. Every relief pitcher will be checked after they come out of the game. So it looks like they're going to try to enforce it pretty hard. Manfred basically created this problem when they decided to make adjustments to the ball this off-season. Very few people had a problem with high spin rates before 2021 because home runs were through the roof. Now they're punishing pitchers because they deadened the ball.