"sticky substances"

Dominikk85

What should be Done on sticky substances   

94 members have voted

1. 1. Sticky substances

• Let pitchers go and it is a level playing field
    • Ban all substances and enforce it
    • Allow a standardized substance

The Sox are 2nd in baseball in average 4-seam fastball spin rate, behind only the Dodgers (although the gap there is pretty wide). We are somewhere in the middle for breaking pitches.

I really hope that our guys have been mostly clean this whole time, but you never know. It's pretty obvious Lynn and Hendriks have been using something this whole time, although neither of their spin rates are ridiculously high. You just hope that this crackdown doesn't negatively affect our dominant pitching. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

The Sox are 2nd in baseball in average 4-seam fastball spin rate, behind only the Dodgers (although the gap there is pretty wide). We are somewhere in the middle for breaking pitches.

I really hope that our guys have been mostly clean this whole time, but you never know. It's pretty obvious Lynn and Hendriks have been using something this whole time, although neither of their spin rates are ridiculously high. You just hope that this crackdown doesn't negatively affect our dominant pitching. 

While it was only 1 game, Lynn was notably down in spin rate yesterday compared with the previous 6 weeks. All 3 of his fastball types (4 seam, cutter, 2 seamer) were the dominant reason for this signal. The curveball actually had a slightly higher spin rate but he only threw it 6 times all game. Changeup was down a tiny, not-statistically-significant amount.

chart.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

While it was only 1 game, Lynn was notably down in spin rate yesterday compared with the previous 6 weeks. All 3 of his fastball types (4 seam, cutter, 2 seamer) were the dominant reason for this signal. The curveball actually had a slightly higher spin rate but he only threw it 6 times all game. Changeup was down a tiny, not-statistically-significant amount.

chart.jpeg

I noticed the side of his pants were still dirty yesterday from where he likes to rub his hand on. I think he just didn't have his good stuff last night.

So what, are they going to tell pitchers they can't use sun screen now?  Seems pretty absurd if a pitcher isn't allowed to wear any on day games in July or August.  I'm all for them enforcing weird shit guys are using, but come on. 

Also totally agree with Rodon.  Fuck Manfred.  Dude is a clown.

13 minutes ago, soulfly said:

So what, are they going to tell pitchers they can't use sun screen now?  Seems pretty absurd if a pitcher isn't allowed to wear any on day games in July or August.  I'm all for them enforcing weird shit guys are using, but come on. 

This not an accurate take. Players can use sunscreen, but are advised not continue applying sunscreen after the sun has set, or in dome stadiums. They can apply sunscreen in all other circumstances, they just can't combine the sunscreen to rosin, and then apply it to the ball.

I agree with the players assessment that this rule change should be announced early in an off-season, to allow players to adjust for the following season. I also agree with the players assessment that driving a wedge between hitters and pitchers is one of the key factors in terms of implementing this mid-season, right before the CBA expiration.

This should have been implemented last offseason, before Spring Training, and not after a few months of "comprehensive data collection process". Speaking of which, MLB continues to implement changes to baseballs, in-season, over multiple seasons, with or without a "comprehensive data collection process". Fix your own mess, before starting this shit you drunken assclown. That also goes to the MLB owners this assclown represents.

My comments are not directed toward any advantage or disadvantage the Chicago White Sox will experience. I Just want the integrity of the game to be better managed, far better than the past 30 + years, when owners tossed any semblance of an at least partially independent commissioner when Bud Selig was installed, followed by this idiot. It's all half ass reactionary measures, based on media reports or random individual umpire actions. Steroids, electronic sign stealing, and increased doctoring of baseballs were widespread and widely known, for years/decades. Nothing was ever done to counter this until multiple embarrassing incidents were exposed by the media, with the Commissioner's office actively participating in coverups throughout time trying to quell or deny any of this was going on, and then taking half measures to counter primarily for PR/ obfuscation / misdirection / attacking the players union. The stewardship of this game is the most embarrassing in sports. The NHL's Count Dracula would be a major upgrade compared to Selig/Manfred.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, soulfly said:

Nah. Don't let the umpires decide what substance is what. Best to ban everything. 

1 hour ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Two really good points made on the pregame show yesterday:

1) Don't do this mid-season, do it during the off-season so pitchers have time to adjust

2) 10-game suspensions for pitchers when the Astros hitters never got suspended at all seems unfair.

Two terrible points. Do it as soon as possible. Better late than never. Take out the cheaters. They shouldn't have been cheating to begin with. And just because other cheaters got away with it doesn't mean you let the next batch off the hook.

Last night was Lance Lynn’s lowest spin rate game since 2018. By sheer coincidence, he struggled in 2018, went to Texas on a cheap contract due to that down year, and in 2019 suddenly was better than he had ever been and was a Cy Young award candidate. 

792C5DF8-AC49-4827-940A-50EDDDBEA41F.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Last night was Lance Lynn’s lowest spin rate game since 2018. By sheer coincidence, he struggled in 2018, went to Texas on a cheap contract due to that down year, and in 2019 suddenly was better than he had ever been and was a Cy Young award candidate. 

792C5DF8-AC49-4827-940A-50EDDDBEA41F.jpeg

😢

Lynn can say he's seen stuff recently that he never saw in the game earlier in his career in reference to Spider tack and these "homemade" concoctions pitchers were using for ultimate stick/grip. Lynn also could have been using pine tar himself. It's not mutually exclusive.

25 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Lynn can say he's seen stuff recently that he never saw in the game earlier in his career in reference to Spider tack and these "homemade" concoctions pitchers were using for ultimate stick/grip. Lynn also could have been using pine tar himself. It's not mutually exclusive.

A 200 rpm decrease probably means he was using something like pine tar. Spider Tack can give you 200+ RPMs but the stuff Bauer was using can get you 300+. 

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

A 200 rpm decrease probably means he was using something like pine tar. Spider Tack can give you 200+ RPMs but the stuff Bauer was using can get you 300+. 

Does the pitch matter? Lynn’s curveball went from 2200 rpm in 2018 to 2600 rpm in 2020. 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Does the pitch matter? Lynn’s curveball went from 2200 rpm in 2018 to 2600 rpm in 2020. 

Yeah probably. I think substances give you more break and control on breaking pitches. The fastball is talked about a lot more because it's much harder to add spin to a fastball without foreign substances. You can definitely add spin to breaking pitches with more finger pressure and different grips.

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

Yeah probably. I think substances give you more break and control on breaking pitches. The fastball is talked about a lot more because it's much harder to add spin to a fastball without foreign substances. You can definitely add spin to breaking pitches with more finger pressure and different grips.

Bauer’s spin in his first game without the stuff, specifically on his fastball, dropped 223 rpm. Lynn’s is down just over 200 on his fastball. Bauer’s has a higher overall spin and throws more offspeed stuff, but on the fastball, their drops are very similar.

https://www.truebluela.com/2021/6/6/22521637/trevor-bauer-spin-rate-mlb-baseball-foreign-substances-enforcement-dodgers-dave-roberts

3 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Spin rate on Lynn will either justify a potential contract extension or letting him walk. This is one of the top stories to follow for the rest of the season honestly. 

FWIW, there was nothing unusual about the spin on on Rodon's pitches in his recent starts compared to the rest of the year.

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Bauer’s spin in his first game without the stuff, specifically on his fastball, dropped 223 rpm. Lynn’s is down just over 200 on his fastball. Bauer’s has a higher overall spin and throws more offspeed stuff, but on the fastball, their drops are very similar.

https://www.truebluela.com/2021/6/6/22521637/trevor-bauer-spin-rate-mlb-baseball-foreign-substances-enforcement-dodgers-dave-roberts

I remember Bauer was slightly above average in spin rate before 2018. He was hovering around 2400. Then he jumped to 2700-2800. He's now at 2600 RPMs. Maybe he's found a way to increase his spin rate by 200 RPMs naturally, but he literally said that was impossible before without foreign substances. Lynn's spin rates were never elite. He was at 2400, which is just above average.