The dumbest play in baseball history

Buehrle>Wood

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Not sure where his teammates were on this one. Even if the 1B didn't realize it, the rest of the infield should have, and been screaming HOME at him.

What makes it worse is that there were two outs so he didn't even have to worry about the home runner.

22 minutes ago, flavum said:

There should be a rule: When a batter is running to first, you can stop if you want and make a fielder come to you, but you can’t go backwards. There is no safe base behind you, so that play is really dumb on multiple levels.

It's the same logic as running out of the base path really. You're really delaying the inevitable or trying to run away from the play.

But this play is completely on the Pirates. It's 2 outs, all you had to do was step on 1st. The runner doesn't even score if you get the force out. 

24 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Not sure where his teammates were on this one. Even if the 1B didn't realize it, the rest of the infield should have, and been screaming HOME at him.

They didn't need to make a play at home. If they get the out at first with 2 outs, the run doesn't count.

Yeah, heaping praise on Baez is...unwarranted.  This was a horrendous defensive play.  I mean, mind-boggingly bad.  This kind of stuff happens in little league, and the runner isn't praised.  The defender is mocked.

1 minute ago, hogan873 said:

Yeah, heaping praise on Baez is...unwarranted.  This was a horrendous defensive play.  I mean, mind-boggingly bad.  This kind of stuff happens in little league, and the runner isn't praised.  The defender is mocked.

Yeah...it's really mind-blowingly bad. 

When I was in Pony League many years ago, I stopped and watched part of a little league game and was very amused by a run down between home plate and first.  But that was Little League.  Will Craig....be better.

38 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

I just hate seeing how much love Baez is getting for that play. Gotta give all the credit to Will Craig for going brain dead for a minute there.

I mean, you can say it never happens without the bonehead decision by Craig while still giving credit to Báez for executing it perfectly. Not sure why it has to be either/or.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

What makes it worse is that there were two outs so he didn't even have to worry about the home runner.

This. Just have first baseman tag the base. The runner at home doesn’t matter given no outs. I don’t know what the defense was thinking. 

2 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Why is everyone talking about throwing home?!  There were two outs!  Tag first base and the inning is over.  Hell, tag it after a run scores and it doesn’t even count.  That’s the beginning, middle, and end of this story.

Basically what everyone else is saying.

Edited by manbearpuig

32 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Why is everyone talking about throwing home?!  There were two outs!  Tag first base and the inning is over.  Hell, tag it after a run scores and it doesn’t even count.  That’s the beginning, middle, and end of this story.

He also could have just chased Baez to home plate and tagged him there and the inning is over, so many different ways he screwed up on that play it's impressive.