Lorretta's Lounge renamed after TLR

DoUEvenShift

while I disagree with the renaming of this area.. more because a regular every day worker having something named after them is rare - then because care f if they named a stand after TLR

I'm going to be honest - this is near the bottom of my give a fuck list.

Edited by harkness99
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, tray said:

Oh well, if a greasy burgur can be named after an obese player, then why not hang a sign with the name of a guy who had a DUI in an area where someone might carry a beer and sit down?

Fake outrage knows no bounds.

I’m not even outraged over this, but I find your undeterred hatred of Mercedes for swinging 3-0 when way up and for wearing too many gold chains to be quite bizarre.  Then again, you are the same person who has a creepy infatuation with Zach Plesac and has defended him for going out during a pandemic and putting his high risk coach & teammate in danger.  Your morals really are something tray.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m not even outraged over this, but I find your undeterred hatred of Mercedes for swinging 3-0 when way up and for wearing too many gold chains to be quite bizarre.  Then again, you are the same person who has a creepy infatuation with Zach Plesac and has defended him for going out during a pandemic and putting his high risk coach & teammate in danger.  Your morals really are something tray.

"morals" to be more accurate.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

but how dare Yermin miss a sign that was never actually given!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, tray said:

Oh well, if a greasy burgur can be named after an obese player, then why not hang a sign with the name of a guy who had a DUI in an area where someone might carry a beer and sit down?

You needing to go out of your way to attack Mercedes at every opportunity whenever TLR gets criticized even when it's completely irrelevant is beyond pathetic.

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

I think this is a little overblown, but I will say I don't feel like the sox do a good job of creating lore or any nostalgia. And I know you can say it's because they lack winning, but i can't think of a franchise as old as the sox that has stayed in one place with such a lack of history/disjointed history. 

But you can always "start that", and what's unfortunate about this is missing some reference to a feature that was just about going to sox games. Just in the same way I hope we carry on the nancy faust salute to loser pitchers, this was a nice place where parents could tell their kids about a vendor that was there every year of their childhood. It's good to cultivate that stuff that's just about going to games and having a shared knowledge. 

Overall, this is just someone being way too into alliteration and not enough people on staff knowing the history, in my estimation.

3 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

i really dont think so - 

I've watched the video a handful of times and the entire at bat he looks at the dugout once - and its not long enough for a sign

I mean, TLR says that Yermin missed the sign.  I haven't seen anyone from the Sox org come out and say that its not true.  I'll take him at his word.  The fact that Yermin didn't look over long enough to see it is not proof that it wasn't given.

10 minutes ago, Green Line said:

I mean, TLR says that Yermin missed the sign.  I haven't seen anyone from the Sox org come out and say that its not true.  I'll take him at his word.  The fact that Yermin didn't look over long enough to see it is not proof that it wasn't given.

Of course no one is going to come out and directly contradict Larussa - that would be a bad idea no matter what the truth was.

Here is how it went down - no one was thinking about it... no coaches, no fans really - the game was a blowout and the count was 3-0.

No one was really thinking he would swing 3-0.. but even if they were - they didnt really think much of it.

But then when he hit a homerun - THEN people were like Uh oh.. lol twins going to get butt hurt about that.

The sox staff didn't expect that to happen either - i believe that larussa doesn't want him swinging there... but there was no sign or anyone telling him not to - because no one was even thinking about it or caring at the moment.

This was all after the fact response.

Edited by harkness99
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

Of course no one is going to come out and directly contradict Larussa - that would be a bad idea no matter what the truth was.

Here is how it went down - no one was thinking about it... no coaches, no fans really - the game was a blowout and the count was 3-0.

No one was really thinking he would swing 3-0.. but even if they were - they didnt really think much of it.

But then when he hit a homerun - THEN people were like Uh oh.. lol twins going to get butt hurt about that.

The sox staff didn't expect that to happen either - i believe that larussa doesn't want him swinging there... but there was no sign or anyone telling him not to - because no one was even thinking about it or caring at the moment.

This was all after the fact response.

Maybe - seems like a convoluted theory though when the obvious chain of events was that Yermin was given a sign and missed it - which is the official story that nobody has disputed.  Sometimes people miss signs.  I don't even think it was malicious, but I see no reason to think that TLR is lying about that specific part of it.  Yermin glancing over quickly isn't evidence of anything except that he didn't have time to see it even if it was given.

Lost in all this is how ridiculous it is to name this area after anyone.  It's literally three dirty picnic tables and an abandoned shoe shine stand.  When is the last time someone got a shoe shine at a ballgame?  They picked the shittiest corner of the park and named it after LaRussa.  I'd be pissed if I were him.  What's next, naming a storage closet after Bevington?

I thought it was a pretty cool way to honor an employee.  The Sox have historically not been known for much in the positive camp, but working for them is supposed to be a very good thing.  They are supposed to take care of their own.  I know the significant portion of the people who don't understand why this would upset people are here because Tony's name got attached to this, but it shouldn't matter whose name got put on the sign.  It sounds like the team didn't do a good job of communicating with this family about this change.  That is where the problem is/was.  Once this did break, the team did what they could to involve the family and try to fix the matter.  People need to separate out TLR from this and imagine how it would look if you loved on gave their life to an organization, they were honored, and then quietly dumped (in their perspective).  The TLR angle just brought a crowd into this subject who can't be rational anyway and distracted from the real issue.

• Thanks 5

10 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

Lost in all this is how ridiculous it is to name this area after anyone.  It's literally three dirty picnic tables and an abandoned shoe shine stand.  When is the last time someone got a shoe shine at a ballgame?  They picked the shittiest corner of the park and named it after LaRussa.  I'd be pissed if I were him.  What's next, naming a storage closet after Bevington?

Actually, naming a storage closet after Bevington is not a bad idea.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I thought it was a pretty cool way to honor an employee.  The Sox have historically not been known for much in the positive camp, but working for them is supposed to be a very good thing.  They are supposed to take care of their own.  I know the significant portion of the people who don't understand why this would upset people are here because Tony's name got attached to this, but it shouldn't matter whose name got put on the sign.  It sounds like the team didn't do a good job of communicating with this family about this change.  That is where the problem is/was.  Once this did break, the team did what they could to involve the family and try to fix the matter.  People need to separate out TLR from this and imagine how it would look if you loved on gave their life to an organization, they were honored, and then quietly dumped (in their perspective).  The TLR angle just brought a crowd into this subject who can't be rational anyway and distracted from the real issue.

Yeah it's shitty but if they named it like the Pierzynski Pad or something, like 95% of people who are frothing wouldn't have even noticed

1 minute ago, mqr said:

Yeah it's shitty but if they named it like the Pierzynski Pad or something, like 95% of people who are frothing wouldn't have even noticed

I think the fact it came out from the family's reaction to it makes that not necessarily true.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think the fact it came out from the family's reaction to it makes that not necessarily true.

What I mean is I don't think it picks up anywhere near as much steam in the media if it's anyone else's name. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

What I mean is I don't think it picks up anywhere near as much steam in the media if it's anyone else's name. 

Again, coming from the family originally, I think it has legs.  If it comes from anyone else, probably not.  But it tells a story.  70 year employee gets their name taken down, plaque thrown in the trash, is a story no matter what.

1 hour ago, tray said:

Fake outrage over fake outrage knows no bounds. Did I do it right?

It's a really easy/lazy game to play, but by all means wear that cynicism proud!

• Like 3

How many people knew the story of Loretta's Lounge before the complaints started? I don't recall one post before this was changed what a nice gesture it was to name a lounge after a dedicated food service employee. 

They kept the plaque. Will give the family a sign. For anyone this is bothering, it's time to let it go. 

• Like 2

I mean, this is "so White Sox."

It's such an unnecessary, unforced error. I can't think of anyone who would have wanted the name change. And, while one could argue exactly how much outrage to have, it was clearly unwise to undo a nice gesture to a loyal worker.

These sorts of decisions do not reflect positively on the organization . Just so unnecessary, IMO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1