Lorretta's Lounge renamed after TLR

DoUEvenShift

3 minutes ago, YoYoIsMyHero said:

Why do YOU care? This was a very nice gesture from the org that I'm sure she and her family/friends greatly appreciated. Tony doesn't even know it's there.

I’m not the one complaining about it?  Why are you asking me?  I’m saying its a ridiculous thing to get upset about and obviously the Sox dont care either.

1 minute ago, Green Line said:

I’m not the one complaining about it?  Why are you asking me?  I’m saying its a ridiculous thing to get upset about and obviously the Sox dont care either.

And you just accidentally walked into the answer to your own question. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Green Line said:

I don’t think the placard hanging outside of a white sox concession stand should cause enough outrage to merit top story in baseball.  Especially considering they named it after one of the most storied managers in baseball, not somebody like Ricky.  Still havent been convinced otherwise, just sounds like more LaRussa Derangement Syndrome.

sucks-happy-gilmore.gif

• Thanks 7
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

sucks-happy-gilmore.gif

He's definitely missing the point.  That's fine he doesn't care.  It's not up to him to decide for other people.  Not only that , they dedicated it to that lady. What exactly did she do to deserve to lose it. At the very least it's bad taste in my opinion.  If that's ok with certain people on here. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Green Line said:

Uhhh, you might not be aware of this but TLR already managed the White Sox for 7 years previously and he won the AL West with the Sox before getting fired by Hawk.

Considering the poor track record of the franchise, he ranks as one of the most successful coaches in Sox history based on the Division win alone.

Jerry manual managed the sox for 6 years and won a division title and 95 games. Most successful coaches in Sox history lol

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Did Yermin leave a bunch of guys on base today? Yes.

However, competent lineup construction could have mitigated that problem. You don't bat someone who is as struggling and injured as Eaton second. If you feel the need to sac bunt with your #2 hitter in the 3rd inning, you have the wrong guy batting #2. Compounding the problem is then Hamilton has to go in for him and then he has to sac bunt from the #2 slot.

Not pinch hitting Grandal for Collins in a 1-run game is really bad, unless Grandal is hurt and we don't know it. Not having Grandal in the lineup to begin with when the opposing pitcher hands out walks like candy is suspect to begin with.

Mercedes has been struggling for a while and Vaughn should have been batting 5th.

Hopefully a second rehab start for Engel is enough and he can be back tomorrow and Eaton can go rest for 10 days.

I would have also pinch hit Anderson for Leury with men in scoring position.

Eaton hitting second is inexplicable.  Yermin hit the ball hard in the first inning but right at the LF, was bad luck. He sucked the rest of the way.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Jerry manual managed the sox for 6 years and won a division title and 95 games. Most successful coaches in Sox history lol

Yeah.  He’s up there (but slightly further down the ladder).  Like I said, its a low bar for successful Sox manager.

Just now, Sox80 said:

He's definitely missing the point.  That's fine he doesn't care.  It's not up to him to decide for other people.  Not only that , they dedicated it to that lady. What exactly did she do to deserve to lose it. At the very least it's bad taste in my opinion.  If that's ok with certain people on here. 

Correct, it's a basic lack of understanding. It doesn't matter if he doesn't care...as another poster brought up, it's on the front page of Reddit right now. This after last week where Tony LaRussa and the Sox were the lead story on PTI, Barstool, Dan Patrick, Rich Eisen, SportsCenter, etc. It's attention that is not needed, and so easily avoidable, but they seemingly look for ways to trip over themselves. It's almost impressive. 

But some see fit to continuing carrying water.......oh well life goes on. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, Sox80 said:

Sometimes airlines name planes after people in small writing on the side and then when they get a livery change they paint over it.  Its a nice gesture but you can’t expect something like that to last forever.

Sometimes airlines name planes after people in small writing on the side and then when they get a livery change they paint over it.  Its a nice gesture but you can’t expect something like that to last forever.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this.  

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Jerry manual had a better career winning % with the Sox than larussa so I have no idea where you come up with your definition of success 

So now you’re defending Jerry? Not following.  I mean, he is my profile photo so I won’t argue if you want to place him ahead of TLR.  They’re both close like I said.

Im assuming now you’re just arguing to argue?  Or do you really think Jerry Manuel is above TLR?  You do you bro.

Edited by Green Line
  • Haha 1

So now you’re defending Jerry? Not following.  I mean, he is my profile photo so I won’t argue if you want to place him ahead of TLR.  They’re both close like I said.

No, I asked you what tlr ever did or won to have some name change there -- the woman he replaced had 60 years service. You made some laughably snide comment "informing me" about tlr storied tenure with the organization lol

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No, I asked you what tlr ever did or won to have some name change there -- the woman he replaced had 60 years service. You made some laughably snide comment "informing me" about tlr storied tenure with the organization lol

Yeah.. like I said.  He’s earned his place here.  One of the most storied managers in Sox history.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Is this lounge area actually for drinking?

It’s more of a picnic table-like setting. There’s about 8 tables that could fit 4 adults or 6 kids. It’s usually families with kids or grandparents sitting there eating. Hard to find a seat pregame but they’re usually open during the game. 

It’s to the north of the LF foul pole. 

It’s now a story on CBS News

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2021/05/26/white-sox-drop-concession-worker-loretta-micele-name-lounge/

While I love the idea of a La Russa-themed section of the ballpark, I actually felt a little sick to my stomach seeing them change this section. Loretta was a White Sox legend working for 70 years - it’s employees and parts of the ballpark like Loretta’s Lounge that make the organization feel family-oriented. 

I remember another usher, an older lady of (I think) Pacific Islander heritage with grey hair, who was my favorite growing up at games. I loved how quiet and nice she was and always made sure to buy from her. I also went to a Cubs game and she ushered there too. I haven’t seen her at a game in over 10 years, unfortunately. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, IWokeUpLikeThis said:

It’s more of a picnic table-like setting. There’s about 8 tables that could fit 4 adults or 6 kids. It’s usually families with kids or grandparents sitting there eating. Hard to find a seat pregame but they’re usually open during the game. 

It’s to the north of the LF foul pole. 

It’s now a story on CBS News

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2021/05/26/white-sox-drop-concession-worker-loretta-micele-name-lounge/

While I love the idea of a La Russa-themed section of the ballpark, I actually felt a little sick to my stomach seeing them change this section. Loretta was a White Sox legend working for 70 years - it’s employees and parts of the ballpark like Loretta’s Lounge that make the organization feel family-oriented. 

I remember another usher, an older lady of (I think) Pacific Islander heritage with grey hair, who was my favorite growing up at games. I loved how quiet and nice she was and always made sure to buy from her. I also went to a Cubs game and she ushered there too. I haven’t seen her at a game in over 10 years, unfortunately. 

what a fucking joke. what an own goal. the sad thing nobody has mentioned is that that the fucking area looks like a rubber room.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tony said:

Correct, it's a basic lack of understanding. It doesn't matter if he doesn't care...as another poster brought up, it's on the front page of Reddit right now. This after last week where Tony LaRussa and the Sox were the lead story on PTI, Barstool, Dan Patrick, Rich Eisen, SportsCenter, etc. It's attention that is not needed, and so easily avoidable, but they seemingly look for ways to trip over themselves. It's almost impressive. 

But some see fit to continuing carrying water.......oh well life goes on. 

I think people like tray and Green Line  liked the La Russa signing at first, and maybe they still do to an extent, but everybody sees the stupid mistakes he makes in game and out of the game. Those guys know he's done a bunch of dumb ass shit this year. Hell, Green Line railed on Ricky more than anybody. He's not oblivious to Tony's shit managing these year.

But TLR is such a controversial figure to a good chunk of members here, and everybody knows that. It's such an easy way to get under certain member's skin. They could admit their guy TLR has made some mistakes, or instead they could just ramp up their defense of him, trigger a bunch of people and laugh about it. They go with the latter. 

Edited by ron883
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Green Line said:

Im assuming now you’re just arguing to argue?  Or do you really think Jerry Manuel is above TLR?  You do you bro.

Why do you have a profile photo of... a baseball manager? The worship of baseball managers by some people is so strange to me. They are one of the least important coaches in all of sports. A good manager is worth, what? 2-3 wins in an entire season? The biggest thing for a baseball team is not having a BAD manager. As a bad manager can consistently cost you games with their stupidity... See: Tony La Russa thus far in 2021. A manager on a talented baseball team just needs to use common sense and stay the fuck out of the way. TLR can't even accomplish that. Shifts are basically all dictated to you by a fucking computer, and TLR can't even get those right. Hell, most of the time they don't shift at all. What does he actually do WELL? Aside from give away outs.

Edited by Paulie4Pres
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Green Line said:

The top post on Reddit Baseball is that the Sox changed the name of a concession stand from some lady that 99.9% of fans didn’t know until today to the current manager? 

Are you joking?  I don’t use reddit but now I really am glad I dont lol.

This whole internet thing is just a fad, am I right?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Green Line said:

Yeah.. like I said.  He’s earned his place here.  One of the most storied managers in Sox history.

Then he would have had a fucking section (or pizza stand, food cart, w/e) before they brought him back.

https://sports.yahoo.com/white-sox-lorettas-lounge-tony-la-russa-guaranteed-rate-mlb-043109170.html

Now it made Yahoo Sports, lol...

This legit pissed me off. This was formerly named Loretta’s Lounge after Loretta Micele. She worked concessions for the Sox for 60 years. They dedicated it to her during the 2005 World Series. She gave so much to the organization and replacing her name to that of TLR is shameful. pic.twitter.com/mecpWbTMoU

— Tyrone Palmer (@TheTyronePalmer) May 26, 2021

Removing the name of a beloved concession worker who spent nearly her entire life serving White Sox fans for a manager whose hire was widely questioned by fans ended up being quite the recipe for a vocal backlash.

In addition to White Sox fans, voices around the country as well as Chicago spoke out: "Gross. Just ... gross." "This is just awful." "Egregious. Fix it now." "This is shameful." "The Tony La Russa era is fast becoming a national embarrassment."

There was also the matter of Micele's family. Her great grandson was also on Twitter, per the Chicago Sun Times. He complained that the team didn't even give his great grandmother's sign to the family, despite his mother still working there.

“My family and I appreciate all the love from our White Sox family! This was a tough pill to swallow. The worst part is that my mother still works for them and they didn’t have the decency to give us the sign or even the plaque which is what we cared for the most.”

Per the Sun Times, the plaque dedicated to Micele is still in place at the seating area, and a White Sox spokesperson reportedly noted that a different area had been named after La Russa for many seasons.

Where is/was the LaRussa area they’re referring to that has been there for many seasons?

Edited by caulfield12
  • Fire 1