GT 5/29: ORIOLES @ SOX G2

2 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

how many more years is Grandal under contract? 

This isn't just him. Collins does it too. It's something I've rarely seen until last season.

5 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Hopefully Hamilton, he has been literally the worst hitter in baseball for years now

That’s true, but I like him better as a late inning defensive replacement for Vaughn and pinch runner than say Leury.  To me, Leury doesn’t do much other than be able to provide well below average offense at a lot of positions.

2 minutes ago, flavum said:

Grandal is easily one of my least favorite Sox players of all time.

Very easy to dislike really, even moreso because of the albatross of an anchor he puts on a payroll that gets nerfed from the start by ownership.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Capn12 said:

Very easy to dislike really, even moreso because of the albatross of an anchor he puts on a payroll that gets nerfed from the start by ownership.

If you compare Gradal's production and contract to other players you'll be disappointed because he's a catcher and even slightly above average offense from a catcher costs a premium. Look at what McCann got.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yasmani Grandal is 25% better than league average offensively as a catcher.  I totally get being frustrated by his defense, but calling his contract an albatross isn’t remotely true.

People hate high walk/high strikeout guys. Everyone wants to trade for Gallo, but I can guarantee that he will be the most hated guy once he wears a sox jni

3 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

People hate high walk/high strikeout guys. Everyone wants to trade for Gallo, but I can guarantee that he will be the most hated guy once he wears a sox jni

And I get it to some extent, but those walks are super valuable, especially when you’re talking about a catcher.  And you’re right, Gallo would definitely be hated around here for the same reasons, although Yasmani deserves to be ripped for certain elements of his defense.  I won’t give him a free pass there.