Jose Abreu - BAD in high leverage situations

ron883

18 hours ago, ron883 said:

I clearly wrote in the original post that the ratings are based on a singal season.

I never said to compare that to his career Clutch. Many people here have questioned Jose's ability to perform in high leverage situations. It's "not predictive" according to you, but this sure as hell confirms what some of us have been saying. Tbh, what worries me more than this stat is if the weather is too cold in the playoffs. Jose is a notorious warm weather hitter. 

Abreu's numbers in high-leverage situations the last three seasons:

2019: .291/.348/.527/.876 (119 wRC+)

2020: .300/.400/.450/.850 (126 wRC+)

2021: .231/.450/.462/.912 (162 wRC+)

He's actually improving every year. I know this is your schtick so whatever but at least make sure the numbers even somewhat agree with you before committing to the bit.

• Fire 3

4 hours ago, Vulture said:

He isn’t?

Even if he was setting a bad example, all it takes is mom or dad to say, "Jose is great but he is making a mistaking chewing. It can really mess up your throat and your life. If you ever are offered chewing tobacco, son or daughter, say no, then inform me." So what if he chews? Doesn't mean others have to.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

Jose Abreu is one of the best players in White Sox history. Outside the diamond I also believe his success and having him as an ambassador has/will continue to have long lasting implications with Latino players. 

He's one of my favorite players ever. He's not perfect but he's darn good. Think of how much worse our fave team would be without him in the lineup every day. Baseball is a tough sport. He could hit .125 in the playoffs and/or WS. Or he could be Mr. October/November. Who the hell knows? A lot of it in baseball is getting hot at the right time. And it sucks if you get cold in the postseason. Enjoy.

18 minutes ago, greg775 said:

He's one of my favorite players ever. He's not perfect but he's darn good. Think of how much worse our fave team would be without him in the lineup every day. Baseball is a tough sport. He could hit .125 in the playoffs and/or WS. Or he could be Mr. October/November. Who the hell knows? A lot of it in baseball is getting hot at the right time. And it sucks if you get cold in the postseason. Enjoy.

Jose is a terrific leader and a great role model for the younger players.  Plus he is such a likeable guy.  His work with Abreu's Amigos is awesome.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

It boggles my mind the Sox get this player who is thought of as nothing but a great teammate and person. Who actually plays baseball well enough he won an MVP award. And there are Sox fans that still seem to live to whine about him.

It would be like a Cubs fan hating Ernie Banks. Sorry it was the best example I could think of. Not sure how many people here even know much about Ernie Banks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OmarComing25 said:

Abreu's numbers in high-leverage situations the last three seasons:

2019: .291/.348/.527/.876 (119 wRC+)

2020: .300/.400/.450/.850 (126 wRC+)

2021: .231/.450/.462/.912 (162 wRC+)

He's actually improving every year. I know this is your schtick so whatever but at least make sure the numbers even somewhat agree with you before committing to the bit.

I'd call it more a lifestyle choice at this point...ron is committed to this anti-Jose relationship.

• Haha 1

Just show pictures of Tony Gwynn the last months of his life...no need to have a crusade against an individual player, especially on your own team.

Or, better yet, start a national crusade against tobacco products.  Good luck with that one, surely there will be many willing to listen in Congress to your idealistic reform ideas.

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It would be like a Cubs fan hating Ernie Banks. Sorry it was the best example I could think of. Not sure how many people here even know much about Ernie Banks.

Ernie and Minnie are "Mister Cub/White Sox" for their play on the field, their class handling breaking the color barrier here, and decades as serving as beloved ambassadors for the game and for their respective teams until the day they died.

That said, I believe Jose Abreu and his counterpart Anthony Rizzo can serve as the next few generations of "Mr. White Sox / Cub" depending on their post on-field careers, and whether they remain in Chicago. At minimum, both are outstanding representatives and leaders for their teams on and off the field. There is no rational reason to hate either, even if you're not a fan of their respective teams, or even of baseball. 

Edited by South Side Hit Men

8 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Ernie and Minnie are "Mister Cub/White Sox" for their play on the field, their class handling breaking the color barrier here, and decades as serving as beloved ambassadors for the game and for their respective teams until the day they died.

That said, I believe Jose Abreu and his counterpart Anthony Rizzo can serve as the next few generations of "Mr. White Sox / Cub" depending on their post on-field careers, and whether they remain in Chicago. At minimum, both are outstanding representatives and leaders for their teams on and off the field. There is no rational reason to hate either, even if you're not a fan of their respective teams, or even of baseball. 

Minoso was before my time basically. Of course I know a lot about him because since I'm a Sox and baseball fan  I make it a point to know team history.

Abreu got a lot of mentoring from Minoso and  their similar upbeat positive thinking personalities made them very much alike. Jose has passed the mentoring on down the line . I saw  more of Banks since the Cubs were on WGN after school a lot more in my youth especially that 1969 year. I watched because it was better watching baseball than anything else.

The only time I remember seeing Minoso play was in 1976 when he got a hit at 50 years old. I was happy to see him get a hit. He gave it another try in 1980 just to see if he could be the only player to get a hit in 5 decades.  He got his 1st hit in 1949 ,then his best years were in the 50's. He slowed down in the 60's and retired after the 1964 season. 1976 he got a hit but failed in 2 AB's in 1980. To his credit he didn't K in either AB in '80. 4 times he came in 4th in MVP voting. The last time was 1960.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Just show pictures of Tony Gwynn the last months of his life...no need to have a crusade against an individual player, especially on your own team.

Or, better yet, start a national crusade against tobacco products.  Good luck with that one, surely there will be many willing to listen in Congress to your idealistic reform ideas.

I think charging five to seven bucks a pack or whatever it is (as well as not allowing people to smoke in bars anymore) pretty much stopped smoking in America. Yes you can outprice people. I don't know what chew costs, but it is so gross not too many people outside of ballplayers have that horrific habit IMO.

Edited by greg775

8 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

TA7

On 6/2/2021 at 12:27 AM, caulfield12 said:

Can we penalize Ron approximately 500 "likes," lol?

250?

Trying to play dirty once again caulfield? How convenient that 500 would put you ahead of me in likes. 

That's why I call him Cheatin' Caulfield! Totally dishonest!

1 minute ago, ron883 said:

Trying to play dirty once again caulfield? How convenient that 500 would put you ahead of me in likes. 

That's why I call him Cheatin' Caulfield! Totally dishonest!

Gee, that doesn’t sound exactly like you attempting to copy a certain ex-president there numbered 45.

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, XplodingScorbord said:

Whoever started this idiotic topic can cram it. Huge bomb again tonight. 

"Yeah but if it was a tied game or a game we were losing, he would have choked!" - Ron, probably.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2