Who are the White Sox Rivals?

sportprof101

Hello White Sox Fans,

With the help of message board members beginning in 2014, we—the students and professors of the Know Rivalry Project—began studying rivalry in the MLB. Please help us update and expand our results to ensure that the Chicago White Sox are included by taking 9 minutes to complete our newest survey:

https://umassamherst.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_3FdJ8eN2EgFCfCB?mbsrc=krdir&grpID=1368

Our previous results have been featured in numerous sports media outlets, as well as the Wall Street Journal and New York Times. You can view those results, links to media coverage, and learn more about us at our KnowRivalry.com website BUT we'd prefer you didn't until you completed the survey via the link above... we don't want to influence your opinions provided in the survey.

We use the Qualtrics online survey software for data collection. This academic research has been approved by two US universities' Institutional Review Boards (IRB) and it poses no risks to respondents. You'll find more information on the disclosure agreement that is required to start the survey. Thank you for helping us to include the Chicago White Sox by participating and please feel free to share this with any other fans that may also help.

Jonah, Student Researcher, Northern Kentucky University

Dr. Joe Cobbs, Northern Kentucky University

Dr. David Tyler, University of Massachusetts—Amherst

14 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Cubs, Indians, Twins, Cardinals....used to be Royals and Tigers in past years.

Some would say the Brewers, but not really.

The NY Yankees in Field of Dreams.

The White Sox and Cardinals are not rivals...  If anything the fan bases like each other more than any other two MLB teams.  I've worn a sox cap to multiple Cards games in St Louis and I've been given more hi fives, cheers, and "fuck the cubs" than I can count.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, wegner said:

In my lifetime it is the...

Orioles (still hate Tito Landrum)

Blue Jays

Mariners

Rays

A's

At times, I'm very fond of the Red Sox, Angels and Astros.

Those are all the playoff opponents.  What about the Indians in 1993-94?

Twins from 2002-2006, 2008, 2010....Tigers in 2012, Twins in 2019-20-21?

4 minutes ago, wegner said:

In my lifetime it is the...

Orioles (still hate Tito Landrum)

Blue Jays

Mariners

Rays

A's

At times, I'm very fond of the Red Sox, Angels and Astros.

Haha I dislike each of the teams you’re fond of more and any one listed rival. 

I’d say Twins, Royals, Indians, Tigers, Cubs. 

40 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The St. Louis Cardinals??  The team they play 3 times every three years???

8 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Who the fuck would say the Cardinals or Brewers LOL

Lol indeed. The Cardinals and Brewers have stopped a lot of Cubs success lately. 

I hate every team in our division except the Royals first and foremost. I also hate the Yankees and in the NL the Cubs and Padres. 

1 minute ago, Snopek said:

The Twindians. But really, it's whichever ALC team is good when the Sox are trying to be good. Does that mean they have no true rival?

I would say right now it is the Indians and then the Twins. The Tribe have competed against us all 90's and even were a thorn in 2005. They were a pain last year and this year as well at the start of our rebirth. 

18 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Who the fuck would say the Cardinals or Brewers LOL

Cardinals simply from a mid-market fan perspective...”greatest fanbase,” Luis Robert, WS titles, similar philosophies on big contracts before Goldschmidt and Arenado, 2006 rivalry, Charlie Tilson (lol).

Edited by caulfield12
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Cardinals simply from a mid-market fan perspective...”greatest fanbase,” Luis Robert, WS titles, similar philosophies on big contracts before Goldschmidt and Arenado, 2006 rivalry, Charlie Tilson (lol).

No

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Twins Cubs Indians in that order.

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

listing cubs ahead of anyone in the al central is sad

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I am actually a fan of the Cardinals because I think they are a well run organization and they are the Cubs primary rival.  I like to see them win.

53 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Those are all the playoff opponents.  What about the Indians in 1993-94?

Twins from 2002-2006, 2008, 2010....Tigers in 2012, Twins in 2019-20-21?

They are all very annoying and painful opponents, but it is the losses in the playoffs that hurt the most for me.

26 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

There is no Sox Cards rivalry whatsoever.  They rarely play each other and the fan bases usually want each other to beat up on the Cubs.  I couldn't have told you half of the Cards players when they were in town.