Who are the White Sox Rivals?

sportprof101

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am actually a fan of the Cardinals because I think they are a well run organization and they are the Cubs primary rival.  I like to see them win.

Agreed.  When I was younger I remember having a poster of Jack Clark...he must've had a big year against the Cubbies or something. :D

Sox current rivals are the other two teams that seem to be good at the same time in the AL Central.  Twins and Cleveland now, a few years ago it was KC and Detroit.  Its more cyclical.  Division play is so heavily weighted in the schedule and the AL Central has been around long enough that other older rivalries have faded.

The one team I do not consider a rival are the Cubs.  I hate them with a passion but those 5-6 games each season matter little to the overall standings.  Fanbase rivalries aren't the same thing.  

36 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Cardinals simply from a mid-market fan perspective...”greatest fanbase,” Luis Robert, WS titles, similar philosophies on big contracts before Goldschmidt and Arenado, 2006 rivalry, Charlie Tilson (lol).

You could do this with literally every team... See watch,

Oakland A's:
Semien, Bassitt, similar philosphoies on big contracts, 2020 playoffs

Doesn't make them a rival

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Ones a fun rivalry, the others actually impact our season and chances at making the postseason. Which one sounds more important?

Go to a Sox-Cubs game and a Sox-Royals game this year and come back and tell me that the Royals are a bigger rival.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

The one team I do not consider a rival are the Cubs.  I hate them with a passion but those 5-6 games each season matter little to the overall standings.  Fanbase rivalries aren't the same thing.  

They are the same thing, the feelings of the fanbase toward each other is a huge part of any rivalry, I don't even understand this.  Players come and go, fans don't.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

You could do this with literally every team... See watch,

Oakland A's:
Semien, Bassitt, similar philosphoies on big contracts, 2020 playoffs

Doesn't make them a rival

You forgot embarrassing KW over Moneyball, Bradford-Olivo trade...two Barry/Berrys deal, etc.

The Chicago Cubs for obvious geographic and historical reasons that some people make a sport out of denying and/or willfully ignoring.  (And the volume of the protestations of those who claim they are *not* rivals -- from both sides of town, but particularly the Cubs fanbase -- only further proves the rivalry).  IMO this is, and will always be, the Sox #1 rival.

Every team in the AL Central for competitive reasons:  I honestly think you just put whichever team is currently best at the top of the list, though there does seem to be a special history with the Twins.

Some of the responses here have me wondering who would be the furthest from a rival i.e. who do the Sox seem to have the least history/connection with? Rangers, Orioles in the AL? MLB as a whole, it almost feels like the Sox and Giants have never met.

51 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

The Chicago Cubs for obvious geographic and historical reasons that some people make a sport out of denying and/or willfully ignoring.  (And the volume of the protestations of those who claim they are *not* rivals -- from both sides of town, but particularly the Cubs fanbase -- only further proves the rivalry).  IMO this is, and will always be, the Sox #1 rival.

Every team in the AL Central for competitive reasons:  I honestly think you just put whichever team is currently best at the top of the list, though there does seem to be a special history with the Twins.

i hate the cubs but theres no comparison to me when we are competing against another team in the division. The 2000s Twins made me irate, and now the Indians are starting to feel that way with their tough play against us and always being a division leader. The Tigers and Royals will only get better and will be tough to handle in the years to come. I hate the Royals for 2016 still for that Robertson game. 

I dont understand the sox fans that check to see if the cubs lost before even looking at what our division rivals have done, or get more excited at a cubs loss than a sox win. The latter doesnt make any sense but its definitely a thing. 

23 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Some of the responses here have me wondering who would be the furthest from a rival i.e. who do the Sox seem to have the least history/connection with? Rangers, Orioles in the AL? MLB as a whole, it almost feels like the Sox and Giants have never met.

One of the new teams like the Rockies and Diamondbacks I would say.

2 hours ago, reiks12 said:

listing cubs ahead of anyone in the al central is sad

Agreed. Really wish the inter-league scheme was never concocted.

The game attracts many drunken assholes, caters to the lowest common denominator. Still listen or watch, since the games count in the standings, but stopped attending decades ago.

The charity games played in the 1980s and prior were a much more enjoyable atmosphere, family friendly events.

4 hours ago, Green Line said:

The White Sox and Cardinals are not rivals...  If anything the fan bases like each other more than any other two MLB teams.  I've worn a sox cap to multiple Cards games in St Louis and I've been given more hi fives, cheers, and "fuck the cubs" than I can count.

I seriously doubt that Sox and kkkards fans like each other more than any two teams. The fan bases are polar opposites

Edited by Vulture

24 minutes ago, Green Line said:

You'd be wrong.

I don’t think so. I would say I’m a hundred percent correct. 

I don’t know what world you’re living in if you think this resembles behavior or attitude of Sox fans
https://www.elitedaily.com/sports/st-louis-cardinals-fans-racist/1465807

If there is any NL central fan base similar to Sox it would probably be the Brewers

31 minutes ago, Vulture said:

I don’t think so. I would say I’m a hundred percent correct. 

I don’t know what world you’re living in if you think this resembles behavior or attitude of Sox fans
https://www.elitedaily.com/sports/st-louis-cardinals-fans-racist/1465807

If there is any NL central fan base similar to Sox it would probably be the Brewers

You're in the wrong place for a political debate, bro.  Try elsewhere.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Green Line said:

Go to a Sox-Cubs game and a Sox-Royals game this year and come back and tell me that the Royals are a bigger rival.

The Sox-Cubs rivalry goes back before there were any regular season games played between the two teams. The teams didn't have to play each other to rival each other. The animosity between the two fan bases has been here for over a century.

Fans tend to ga-ga over these games when, in the long run, they don't prove much. In the first 66 games, the two teams tied at 33 and the run differential was one. I hate it when the Sox lose to the Cubs, but these games pale in comparison to the over 70 games played in the AL Central.

There is one big reason I want the Sox to pound the Cubs: Cub fans. I guess you can call that a rivalry.

5 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am actually a fan of the Cardinals because I think they are a well run organization and they are the Cubs primary rival.  I like to see them win.

Same here.  I've always felt that Sox and Cards fans were kind of kindred spirits.  I've been friendly with many Cards fans over our mutual hatred of the cubs.  

It is BS that they get than comp round pick though.

• Like 1

Rivals: Cubs, Royals.

During the entire Ned Yost era, the Royals really got up for the Sox, constantly throwing at our hitters and causing trouble. If Sox ever won first two games of a series, the beanballs were coming. It hasn't surfaced with Matheny so the rivalry appears to be cooling. Yost, however, was a pest. He threw at our guys a lot and remember how the Sox rarely responded?

BTW, the Cubs are by far the Sox only true, true RIVAL. I would accept it if you tell me the Royals are not a rival, but I think they sort of are. Cubs are definitely a rival.

Edited by greg775