Classy moves by Carlos Rodon and Jerry Reinsdorf

https://theathletic.com/2606689/2021/05/23/white-sox-notes-billy-hamilton-and-tim-anderson-zack-collins-and-carlos-rodon-dylan-cease-has-growing-left-to-do/?source=emp_shared_article&redirected=1

Excellent article, as always, by James Fegan today related to the post no hitter gifts given by Carlos Rodon, Jerry Reinsdorf and artist Cody Sabol (commemorative paintings for the two players).

Jerry to Carlos and Zach: Nice rings commemorating the no hitter.

Rodon to Zach: Engraved commemorative watch and putter.

Rodon to the entire team: Special Johnnie Walker Blue Bottles engraved with the No Hitter Date.

Perhaps the biggest gift Carlos handed out were his well earned compliments of Zach Collins.

“He calls a good game, he knows how to call (one) for me and knows how I feature those pitches, how to tunnel them,” Rodón said. “Just we’re on the same page, man, it makes it easy to groove with him. He’s progressed a lot as a catcher. We’ve known he can swing it. He swung it in college. And the defensive aspect, it’s really grown over the last couple years here, especially game-calling and receiving. It’s been a pleasure to throw to him.”

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 4

50 minutes ago, quickman said:

But jr is a cheap ass and Rodon won’t give a shit next year when his agent shops him. So soxtalk will probably blast jr and say he needs to go.

You probably won't like what I have to say and frankly, I don't like saying it. There's a saying that goes you can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar. The nicer JR is to Rodon now perhaps it greases the wheels to resigning him. It's kind of like the family and friends plan they tried with Machado.

JR is a smart business man. A small investment in the short term can pay dividends in the long term. I believe this move by JR can be genuine however I cannot eliminate the possibility of an ulterior motive.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You probably won't like what I have to say and frankly, I don't like saying it. There's a saying that goes you can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar. The nicer JR is to Rodon now perhaps it greases the wheels to resigning him. It's kind of like the family and friends plan they tried with Machado.

JR is a smart business man. A small investment in the short term can pay dividends in the long term. I believe this move by JR can be genuine however I cannot eliminate the possibility of an ulterior motive.

I agree with this 100%. It doesn’t work with everyone but to some people gestures like this mean a lot.  It doesn’t even necessarily mean he has to have an ulterior motive. From everything you hear about JR when you are actually one of his employees he is an extremely nice, generous and loyal guy....sometimes to a fault.  He is an old school businessman that probably thinks if you make it a family like atmosphere people won’t want to leave. It has worked with guys like Abreu...he pretty much said in the off-season he wasn’t going anywhere no matter what the Sox said. Outside we think JR is a cheap owner looking to make money, but inside it is probably a different feeling.....maybe with an exception of how players feel about LaRussa. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, BFirebird said:

I agree with this 100%. It doesn’t work with everyone but to some people gestures like this mean a lot.  It doesn’t even necessarily mean he has to have an ulterior motive. From everything you hear about JR when you are actually one of his employees he is an extremely nice, generous and loyal guy....sometimes to a fault.  He is an old school businessman that probably thinks if you make it a family like atmosphere people won’t want to leave. It has worked with guys like Abreu...he pretty much said in the off-season he wasn’t going anywhere no matter what the Sox said. Outside we think JR is a cheap owner looking to make money, but inside it is probably a different feeling.....maybe with an exception of how players feel about LaRussa. 

Paulie handing that baseball to Jerry was a gesture that worked for both of them.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

JR is known to be very good to his employees. Most people on this board think he is too loyal. I don't doubt the sincerity of the gesture. Doesn't mean it can't serve two purposes though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, quickman said:

But jr is a cheap ass and Rodon won’t give a shit next year when his agent shops him. So soxtalk will probably blast jr and say he needs to go.

Yeah a billionaire spends a few thousand on two rings for his players, dude is LOOSE.

• Haha 5
  • Fire 1

22 minutes ago, ptatc said:

JR is known to be very good to his employees. Most people on this board think he is too loyal. I don't doubt the sincerity of the gesture. Doesn't mean it can't serve two purposes though.

Oh I know his rep to his employees which is why I didn't really like mentioning a possible dual purpose, which is more polite way of saying an ulterior motive. My words made it sound more sinister.

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think many agents have a lot of sway. If the Sox are very competitive, I can see Rodon giving  a hometown discount. But with his injury history, I am sure the agent will be advising him that he needs to get all the security he can in length and money on the next contract.

Good for Carlos that he may get the chance to somewhat secure his future with a good deal if he can stay healthy this season. 

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yet here you are passing absolutely no judgment on the forum you are posting on.

And there is the rub because if a person disagrees with you you have an answer but you rebut and discredit the person to begin with. Typical you. That’s fine. I deal with differences daily . I am good with that. I just think he did a good thing and meant it and I think he always has meant it . Just because he has money doesn’t mean he has to spend it like soxtalk fans want him too. Go root for another team. Why are you hanging around such loser south side people . 

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, quickman said:

And there is the rub because if a person disagrees with you you have an answer but you rebut and discredit the person to begin with. Typical you. That’s fine. I deal with differences daily . I am good with that. I just think he did a good thing and meant it and I think he always has meant it . Just because he has money doesn’t mean he has to spend it like soxtalk fans want him too. Go root for another team. Why are you hanging around such loser south side people . 

You literally discredited the entire forum in your first post, but don't let that stop a mediocre rant.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

9 minutes ago, quickman said:

No problem your the mediator speaking for all. 

4 hours ago, quickman said:

23 minutes ago, quickman said:

No just stating what this forum does . Very judgmental  to what you want the narrative to be 

15 minutes ago, quickman said:

So 3 times you call out Soxtalk and then "Loser south side people", yet I am speaking for "all"?

Um, sure.  Not sure why you are here with all of these people you are calling losers, but sure, I am the one who is discrediting people. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Sinister, ulterior motives? Really?  That is really cray-cray. 

The entire narrative that "Jerry won't spend the money on player contracts to build a winner" is predicated on the assumption that there is a 1:1 correlation between player salary and winning percentage. It also presumes that other teams won't simply match price and in turn, cause salary inflation which could reduce the profitability and viability of the weaker franchises. There has to be a balance to make things work for the league.

Anyway, commemorating outstanding player performances (including no-hitters) with a ring has been a tradition that Jerry established at least as far back as Humber's perfect game.   Giolito and McCann got rings for Gio's perfect game. 

How about  Cub Curmudgeon Joe Ricketts  and bis overt support of certain extremely divisive politicians ?