White Sox Win Game 2 of Trap Series!

ron883

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I refuse to blame a mgr for taking a vet starter like keuchel out early only to be let down by pathetic performance from his players. Period. Players got to play and Heuer was AWFUL. 

There you go. I know it's fashionable to blame LaRussa for everything but with a 5 run lead how can anyone blame Larussa when Keuchel's been breaking down pretty regularly in the 5th and 6th innings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

welcome man, glad to see a fellow old head, assuming you're the same old wookie that posts on bulls forums as wel.

Thanks. I've been following Soxtalk for about as long as RealGM. I could not locate the pw to my old login for here so we just went with a new one. 

There is also only one WookieOnRitalin and hopefully it will remain as such. 

Jose had a big hit in the ninth, basically assured the win. Yermin shrugged off the 0-for-25 and slugged the single to win it. People freaking out when Sox blew the big lead should have relaxed. Sox still were in good shape one down in the seventh. Guys who had some screw ups made up for them late. Nice win overall.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

lol, it wasn't the greatest move to pull Dallas after 80 I'll say that: but Codi can't come in and walk two guys with a 5 run lead and Marshall is just, well, not good either.  Glad the team got the win and picked Codi and Evan up. I can see the explanation for pulling Dallas too as he has struggled 3rd time through all year and maybe he wanted to leave a good taste in his mouth and give his pen a clean inning.  Shit managed to work out, somehow.

No discussion of Crochet/Hendricks? Something both announcers seemed totally perplexed by? 

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Jose had a big hit in the ninth, basically assured the win. Yermin shrugged off the 0-for-25 and slugged the single to win it. People freaking out when Sox blew the big lead should have relaxed. Sox still were in good shape one down in the seventh. Guys who had some screw ups made up for them late. Nice win overall.

Great 2 strike hitting by Jose there after trying to do too much on the base paths earlier.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I wonder what the expected batting average on that hit is? He got lucky and hit it through a hole. 

You picked the wrong ballplayer to hate. He's a good hitter, arguably a great hitter, but at worst he's a "good" hitter.

2 minutes ago, WookiesOnRitalin said:

Thanks. I've been following Soxtalk for about as long as RealGM. I could not locate the pw to my old login for here so we just went with a new one. 

There is also only one WookieOnRitalin and hopefully it will remain as such. 

not to get too offtopic but in the last 10 years RealGM bulls forum has gone downhill big time and Soxtalk has gotten much, much better.  two forums going opposite directions, one improving user base, user interface, other one, losing users with a tired, buggy, not updated in 15 years interface.  i hardly even post on realgm anymore.

2 minutes ago, WookiesOnRitalin said:

Teams are hitting .340 on Keuchel on the third trip through. It was likely the reason he was pulled. 

Oh good statistical support as well . I like it. The more informed Sox fans know these things and just don't pound LaRussa just to pound him. Like a full 1/3 of those who voted wanting Lamb gone or questioning why Lynn was pulled earlier  for anyone with  rudimentary knowledge of upcoming games and stats.

• Thanks 1

My overall impression of this game is that the team has the ability to put themselves in a position to win most nights. The other night, they had the bases loaded with a chance to win in Cleveland and then Jose pulls an outside pitch right into an easy grounder 🙄.

Bullpen is rather terrible except for a few highlights (Kopech, Crochet, and Hendriks). It's fair to assume that the Sox will make some moves in order to shore up the situation. 

Cannot wait to see what the lineup can do at full strength. 

Lastly, NICKY MAGIC WITH THE POWER STROKE. When I saw it leave his bat, I was like, that might have a chance. Kid will never be a huge OPS guy, but damnit, if he does not have a good approach and about as ideal as you can expect for a 9-hole hitter. 

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

not to get too offtopic but in the last 10 years RealGM bulls forum has gone downhill big time and Soxtalk has gotten much, much better.  two forums going opposite directions, one improving user base, user interface, other one, losing users with a tired, buggy, not updated in 15 years interface.  i hardly even post on realgm anymore.

RealGM sucks now. They literally banned me for referring to Mirotic and McDermott as "The Drain Duo". It's ridiculous. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony said:

No discussion of Crochet/Hendricks? Something both announcers seemed totally perplexed by? 

TLR does unconventional things with his pen, it's very ozzie like. I myself thought it was bat shit insane to have Crochett come out for another inning but then again what did I always fucking rail against RV and Rickie for -- burning through relievers when they clearly had great stuff that night because of some "well you can't throw ___ guy two innings". 

It was unconventional and Garrett paid off his coache's faith in him.  As did Yermin, who I was saying should sit tonight and at least be moved down in the order.  I dunno, we can parse this shit every night down to most minute decisions and really over the course of a season talent wins out more than not.  The manager just has to get out of the way, we'll see if TLR can do that effectively enough when it matters.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Ozzie going off on one asking about Dallas. Called the media "soft".

Not sure why they didn't ask such an obvious question about the starter. It's possible the real beat writers got a Friday night home game off and all the fill in reporters were left to ask the questions. Unlike the old days most news outlets give a beat reporter a game off every now and then. It's possible Tony was facing some rookie fill in reporters. Tony's not going to snap on a second-guessing type question after a victory. Not really a risky question to ask IMO.

Edited by greg775

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

The problem is not RealGM. It's the NBA. I grew up watching a different brand of basketball. I've written some quite lengthy posts about how killing hand checking is killing the game. The game hit a low for offense in the early 2000s with only 1 team scoring over 100 points. I believe it was the Memphis Grizzlies who in the mid 2000s were the last team to hold an opponent under 90 points for an entire season. Now, there is not one team who does not allow over 100 ppg. It's a shooter's league. Less emphasis on rebounding, defense, and tougher play. The game is soft. The players are soft. Lebron is king of the soft era. It's not impressive and it's boring. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

Crochet had a good 8th and they are trying to stretch him back. I was listening on radio and than when needed he went to Hendricks. People are really squinting to blame the mgr on this one. And when crochet had that last walk - he pivoted quickly and wasn’t going to let it continue. But I had no issue sticking with Cro after that 8th. 

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

TLR does unconventional things with his pen, it's very ozzie like. I myself thought it was bat shit insane to have Crochett come out for another inning but then again what did I always fucking rail against RV and Rickie for -- burning through relievers when they clearly had great stuff that night because of some "well you can't throw ___ guy two innings". 

It was unconventional and Garrett paid off his coache's faith in him.  As did Yermin, who I was saying should sit tonight and at least be moved down in the order.  I dunno, we can parse this shit every night down to most minute decisions and really over the course of a season talent wins out more than not.  The manager just has to get out of the way, we'll see if TLR can do that effectively enough when it matters.

It took a great catch from Hamilton for Crochet to not give up the lead. I didn't understand Tony's line of thinking at all for that move. If you had Hendriks warming, why not give him a clean inning and then get your middle of the order up in the 9th? Are you saving him for the 10th, an inning that may never come? Why would you save him for a jam when he can get a clean inning and not be in a jam in the first place? Why risk a lesser reliever giving up base runners that gives your opponent a better opportunity to win? 

• Like 1