White Sox Win Game 2 of Trap Series!

ron883

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Dallas answered questions too, and no asked him about the early exit either.

They are up five runs with a pitcher who is older and had back injuries who has struggled a bit 3rd time around. Seemed like a pretty no brainer move for Tony to pull the plug. Maybe there is more there - but felt to me we like a…we got this in a good spot, let’s call it a night for keuchel…it’s a long season and this helps keeps some bullets in the arm while ensuring he finishes with a good game (he has quietly been trending in the right direction despite so many calling him a fifth starter…when just last year he was absurdly awesome). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

It took a great catch from Hamilton for Crochet to not give up the lead. I didn't understand Tony's line of thinking at all for that move. If you had Hendriks warming, why not give him a clean inning and then get your middle of the order up in the 9th? Are you saving him for the 10th, an inning that may never come? Why would you save him for a jam when he can get a clean inning and not be in a jam in the first place? Why risk a lesser reliever giving up base runners that gives your opponent a better opportunity to win? 

Crochet is pretty damn good - so it isn’t like he was trying to let some bum reliever go through the 9th. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ron883 said:

RealGM sucks now. They literally banned me for referring to Mirotic and McDermott as "The Drain Duo". It's ridiculous. 

Lmao, alright Eduardo. Your trolling transcended just that one nickname.

5 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

So going forward Dallas is a 4-5 inning pitcher if they don’t want him facing hitters 3 times around? 

He has back issues last year and has to maintain. The season last year was short. Starters are doing a ton more work than they did last year - saving and managing keuchel usage right now is smart. This isn’t a sprint. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ShoeLessRob said:

So going forward Dallas is a 4-5 inning pitcher if they don’t want him facing hitters 3 times around? 

Depends on the situation mostly. 

If I'm a manager, you get six good innings out of Dallas. You got a 5 run lead. You know you need to get some of those bullpen arms some work. Surely...I mean surely, you are not going to allow a 6 spot in the 7th right? 

In terms of percentages, a six spot with a five run lead is rather low. So it was a good opportunity to get Heuer and Marshall out there. They just did not show up and pitched like garbage. Heuer could not locate. Was opening up his hip way too early and the ball went everywhere. 

Lastly, we got a long way to go. You get 6 innings out of a 30+ year old starter and a 5 run lead, sit him. I'd make that call 9 times out of the 10 unless the guy is just absolutely being lights out or a top tier pitcher like Bieber. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Just now, WookiesOnRitalin said:

If I'm a manager, you get six good innings out of Dallas. You got a 5 run lead. You know you need to get some of those bullpen arms some work. Surely...I mean surely, you are not going to allow a 6 spot in the 7th right? 

In terms of percentages, a six spot with a five run lead is rather low. So it was a good opportunity to get Heuer and Marshall out there. They just did not show up and pitched like garbage. Heuer could not locate. Was opening up his hip way too early and the ball went everywhere. 

Lastly, we got a long way to go. You get 6 innings out of a 30+ year old starter and a 5 run lead, sit him. I'd make that call 9 times out of the 10 unless the guy is just absolutely being lights out or a top tier pitcher like Bieber. 

Excellent posts and welcome aboard 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Crochet had a good 8th and they are trying to stretch him back. I was listening on radio and than when needed he went to Hendricks. People are really squinting to blame the mgr on this one. And when crochet had that last walk - he pivoted quickly and wasn’t going to let it continue. But I had no issue sticking with Cro after that 8th. 

Billy Hamilton made a catch probably 1/10th of CF make on a ball Miguel Cabrera smoked off of Crochet in the 8th that would have given the Tigers the lead. 

I'm not squinting. Neither were Stone and Benetti, 

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

Lmao, alright Eduardo. Your trolling transcended just that one nickname.

If I never started calling them The Drain Duo, I would not be banned. That's literally the reason they banned me.

Soxtalk is the gold standard for a sports discussion forum, and it isn't even close. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

Crochet is pretty damn good - so it isn’t like he was trying to let some bum reliever go through the 9th. 

I have nothing against Crochet, but he's no Liam Hendriks. I also hated the matchups for Crochet against the hitters the Tigers had coming up. 

Schoop hits lefties better than righties, especially after the damage he did tonight off Keuchel. 
Candelario has a 183 wRC+ off lefties this year.
Haase has a 173 wRC+ off lefties this year, as he's basically only hit them until his HR off Marshall tonight. 

Cabrera also isn't as useless against lefties as he is against righties. 

Tony knows what platoons splits are. He should have seen those and said there's no way in hell I'm throwing a lefty reliever against those guys if I have one of the best relievers in baseball in my bullpen. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

Billy Hamilton made a catch probably 1/10th of CF make on a ball Miguel Cabrera smoked off of Crochet in the 8th that would have given the Tigers the lead. 

It was a spectacular catch - I agree with that - but his stuff looked very crisp and miggy was cheating like crazy on that one. Plus wasn’t that the 9th when Hamilton made that play. The 8th was pretty smooth. 

6 minutes ago, WookiesOnRitalin said:

Solid post

4 minutes ago, Tony said:

He was WAY over in right center when that ball was hit.

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

It was a spectacular catch - I agree with that - but his stuff looked very crisp and miggy was cheating like crazy on that one. 

He lead off the 8th with a walk and gave up a base hit the inning before, it wasn't like he was having a heat check or something. 

And I don't know what "Miggy cheating" even means, but the fact is the Tigers had 4 straight RH coming up and you know you're facing a very shaky Tigers pen. If Hendricks was able to pitch (which obviously we know he was) he should have been in there for the 9th. I have zero idea what you are saving him for there, and Jason and a former Cy Young winner were asking the same thing. 

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

It was a spectacular catch - I agree with that - but his stuff looked very crisp and miggy was cheating like crazy on that one. 

Defense also some times wins games. Look at how the Tigers played D . Their fans should be the ones fuming. Bad D and bad BP doesn't equal many wins on the road. I wasn't too happy with that big inning by the Tigers but I was pretty sure it was still a winnable game.

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

I have nothing against Crochet, but he's no Liam Hendriks. I also hated the matchups for Crochet against the hitters the Tigers had coming up. 

Schoop hits lefties better than righties, especially after the damage he did tonight off Keuchel. 
Candelario has a 183 wRC+ off lefties this year.
Haase has a 173 wRC+ off lefties this year, as he's basically only hit them until his HR off Marshall tonight. 

Cabrera also isn't as useless against lefties as he is against righties. 

Tony knows what platoons splits are. He should have seen those and said there's no way in hell I'm throwing a lefty reliever against those guys if I have one of the best relievers in baseball in my bullpen. 

Statistically, you're right, but Tony needed a way to get Hendriks. GC was a great way to get there especially if he was locating. Looks like TLR made the right call. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, WookiesOnRitalin said:

Statistically, you're right, but Tony needed a way to get Hendriks. GC was a great way to get there especially if he was locating. Looks like TLR made the right call. 

I had no issues with Crochet going in the 8th, my issue was using him in the 9th. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Tony said:

He lead off the 8th with a walk and gave up a base hit the inning before, it wasn't like he was having a heat check or something. 

And I don't know what "Miggy cheating" even means, but the fact is the Tigers had 4 straight RH coming up and you know you're facing a very shaky Tigers pen. If Hendricks was able to pitch (which obviously we know he was) he should have been in there for the 9th. I have zero idea what you are saving him for there, and Jason and a former Cy Young winner were asking the same thing. 

This is reasonable. I thought bringing Hendricks in for the beginning of the 9th was probably the right call. I think a lot of fans would rightfully criticize that move.

Basically Crochet hasn't thrown a lot of innings. You can manage to win every game but you also have to keep in mind the full season and specific plans for pitchers.

In my mind I'm thinking Crochet is being groomed to be able to pitch 2 innings in the playoffs and late stressful innings also. So at some point he has to be tried in those situations and not just a couple of times but perhaps a couple of times a month leading up to the post season. It won't always work out but Hendricks also has to be brought in at times with men on base.

I have no problems pulling Keuchel early and some problems with not giving Hendricks the full 9th given the context of other things besides just winning that game.There's no guarantee the Sox are going to get reliable BP help at the TDL so Crochet may end up being given more late inning responsibilities than we would like in the post season and he has to be prepared for it

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

I missed up until the 9th basically. Did TLR really botch things? It's tough when half your bullpen is trash. 

I don’t know why some have to bash LaRussa. He has made sound moves with the pen but the pitchers don’t perform 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

And this just confirmed what I've been saying about Mercedes. He has to know that despite the slump seeing himself in the 5th spot in the lineup every day shows that TLR believes in him.

Or they’re having a lot more fun than we’re aware of out on road trips...