Moncada “doesn’t do that anymore…”

Greg Hibbard

4 minutes ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I heard DJ make that reference to Moncada and stolen bases the other day during a radio broadcast, and he seemed to indicate it was an intentional choice. Does Moncada not want to steal bases anymore at all? Does a player get to make that call on their own? Seems strange.

Probably to avoid hamstring injury

Batting 3RD, and right in front of Abreu, significantly diminishes the value of stealing second. Too often, that would result in opposing pitchers electing to pitch around Abreu, with first base open. Moreover, given Jose's tendency to swing at pitches out of the zone, it would make it easier for pitchers to risk putting him on, while hoping that Jose gets himself out. Odd as it may sound, it might actually be better for Moncada to be at first, rather than in scoring position, at second. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Batting 3RD, and right in front of Abreu, significantly diminishes the value of stealing second. Too often, that would result in opposing pitchers electing to pitch around Abreu, with first base open. Moreover, given Jose's tendency to swing at pitches out of the zone, it would make it easier for pitchers to risk putting him on, while hoping that Jose gets himself out. Odd as it may sound, it might actually be better for Moncada to be at first, rather than in scoring position, at second. 

Weird to think it’s better to have a runner on first than second but I agree even more when you include the possibility of getting thrown out

The art of the stolen base has greatly diminished cause of analytics. I do miss the 30+ stolen base star I saw in the minors but Moncada is still very good without being the threat to steal like he once was. The only people who lose in that instance are the gamer nerds who played MLB the show that can't run with Moncada.

9 hours ago, SoxAce said:

The art of the stolen base has greatly diminished cause of analytics. I do miss the 30+ stolen base star I saw in the minors but Moncada is still very good without being the threat to steal like he once was. The only people who lose in that instance are the gamer nerds who played MLB the show that can't run with Moncada.

No more stealing. Period. Analytics killed the stolen base. Home runs sell tickets. Period.

52 minutes ago, greg775 said:

No more stealing. Period. Analytics killed the stolen base. Home runs sell tickets. Period.

The trend in the minors though is back towards more steals...the new Moneyball niche, playing like 2014-15 Royals on offense, manufacturing runs unless you have big bopper sluggers on your roster. 

19 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The trend in the minors though is back towards more steals...the new Moneyball niche, playing like 2014-15 Royals on offense, manufacturing runs unless you have big bopper sluggers on your roster. 

You forgot to state why though. It's because the pitcher can only throw to 1st base a couple of times to speed up the game and it has sped it up on the bases. Once you reach the limit then runners can take huge leads and get huge jumps.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You forgot to state why though. It's because the pitcher can only throw to 1st base a couple of times to speed up the game and it has sped it up on the bases. Once you reach the limit then runners can take huge leads and get huge jumps.

That rule is so stupid and poorly conceived that it will almost certainly have to be repealed. It is going to lead to havoc on the base paths. Even slower runners will be able to steal bases, once the pitcher is no longer permitted to throw to 1ST base.