One way I know the sox are a great team again...

bmags

is how I'm extremely annoyed by baseball media again.

Takes me right back to 17 years old calling the tribune the cub-une and yelling at every baseball tonight segment that didn't mention the white sox.

Biggest annoyances at the moment:

- National baseball media falling over themselves to talk about how resilient and grindy the Mets have been since they've faced such devastating injuries that have forced some of their players to the sidelines for upwards of a few weeks 😪 RIP Conforto, i'm sure they also threw a funeral for you

- *Fernando Tatis Jr catches a pop-up* .

*my phone buzzes 17 times straight*

"YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT TATIS JUST DID"

"CAN YOUR SHORTSTOP do ThAt? 😍"

"SEE HOW A SUMMARY OF HOW OUR WRITERS REACTED TO TATIS INSANE CAN-Of-CORN CATCH!"

- "The cubs just won a game...are they the greatest team in baseball?"

I'm hurt! I'm hurting! The grievances are bubbling to my surface!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 3

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

Takes me right back to 17 years old calling the tribune the cub-une and yelling at every baseball tonight segment that didn't mention the white sox.

- National baseball media falling over themselves to talk about how resilient and grindy the Mets have been since they've faced such devastating injuries that have forced some of their players to the sidelines for upwards of a few weeks 😪 RIP Conforto, i'm sure they also threw a funeral for you

"SEE HOW A SUMMARY OF HOW OUR WRITERS REACTED TO TATIS INSANE CAN-Of-CORN CATCH!"

Is this from the ESPN app or something, or are you texting with caulfield?

Edited by ron883
  • Like 1
  • Haha 9
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

We've gotten plenty of press for our Hall of Fame manager.

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

the mlb at bat app! It's brutal!

I like it though since it texts me .5 seconds before something happens on the tv.

Actually I totally agree with this.  I usually get a notification that the Sox hit a homer when a pitcher is getting the sign before the pitch 

I always think our Sox play best with a little chip on their shoulder...let the national media ignore them.

Now what bothers me is the local media doing the same.  A small example of this for me...I was listening to WMVP on Saturday morning waiting for White Sox weekly to begin and Fred Huebner mentions that they will be talking White Sox starting at 10:00 so I left the channel on.  I went in the store and came back out to my car at 10:10 and he is still taking calls from Cubbie fans so I yell at my radio "let them take their damn calls down the dial, you are the home of the White Sox and said you'd be talking White Sox starting 10 damn minutes ago!!"   Yes I have some issues with the local media.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wegner said:

I always think our Sox play best with a little chip on their shoulder...let the national media ignore them.

Now what bothers me is the local media doing the same.  A small example of this for me...I was listening to WMVP on Saturday morning waiting for White Sox weekly to begin and Fred Huebner mentions that they will be talking White Sox starting at 10:00 so I left the channel on.  I went in the store and came back out to my car at 10:10 and he is still taking calls from Cubbie fans so I yell at my radio "let them take their damn calls down the dial, you are the home of the White Sox and said you'd be talking White Sox starting 10 damn minutes ago!!"   Yes I have some issues with the local media.

I can't with espn1000.

I will say this, and I can't tell if it's because I am getting extremely old and moved into his demographic or if he genuinely improved, but Mully on Mully and haugh has been like really pretty impressive and entertaining on the white sox this year and that show has definitely given sox their due timewise.

I don't listen a lot because I don't drive much anymore in the morning but it's been decent.

It's wild how irrelevant the trib and sun-times sports sections are now. Trib is basically just paul sullivan chained to a desk in a dungeon covering 5 beats on the brink of madness.

• Fire 1

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

I can't with espn1000.

I will say this, and I can't tell if it's because I am getting extremely old and moved into his demographic or if he genuinely improved, but Mully on Mully and haugh has been like really pretty impressive and entertaining on the white sox this year and that show has definitely given sox their due timewise.

I don't listen a lot because I don't drive much anymore in the morning but it's been decent.

It's wild how irrelevant the trib and sun-times sports sections are now. Trib is basically just paul sullivan chained to a desk in a dungeon covering 5 beats on the brink of madness.

I love Mully and Hanley and Bernstein (not a big fan of Leila but that can change, she has some audio crutches that she leans on a lot), I'm out when Holmes is in, and back for Parkins and Spiegel.  They all have been giving the Sox a lot of time this year 

48 minutes ago, bmags said:

This is a quality post

About 10 years ago I pretty much rid my life of sports media and it was surprisingly easy. No more talk radio. No more ESPN. I listen to some podcasts and research on my own terms when I have time. For me, it helped put my relationship with sports in perspective and none of those things bother me anymore. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I love Mully and Hanley and Bernstein (not a big fan of Leila but that can change, she has some audio crutches that she leans on a lot), I'm out when Holmes is in, and back for Parkins and Spiegel.  They all have been giving the Sox a lot of time this year 

I have bad news for you.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

Ha, that was both an accident and my brain telling the truth because I really am not a fan of Haugh 

I don't like him, but I actually think him losing his column has made him more bearable as it doesn't feel like he is workshopping a hot take anymore.

6 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

About 10 years ago I pretty much rid my life of sports media and it was surprisingly easy. No more talk radio. No more ESPN. I listen to some podcasts and research on my own terms when I have time. For me, it helped put my relationship with sports in perspective and none of those things bother me anymore. 

That sounds very healthy...is there meetings I can attend or is it pretty much self help?  I need to try that approach I think.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I live in the Phoenix area so none of the local sports interest me.  I started to dislike ESPN after 2005, especially Berman. 24 hour sports news is like the Enquirer.

10 minutes ago, wegner said:

That sounds very healthy...is there meetings I can attend or is it pretty much self help?  I need to try that approach I think.

Sports media is so manufactured, boring and redundant that taking a short break makes you realize how little actual value there is. There just isn't that much to talk about in a 24 hour cycle, so they're intentionally manufacturing bullshit to piss people off. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

I live in the Phoenix area so none of the local sports interest me.  I started to dislike ESPN after 2005, especially Berman. 24 hour sports news is like the Enquirer.

ESPN lost me when Sportscenter stopped being witty and funny and when they started producing daily shows that are male targeted versions of Dr Phil or any other daytime network TV. 

43 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Don't listen to much talk radio but she constantly cries about people "man splaining" her whenever they disagree with her or talk with her. That shit drives me nuts. You're a public figure and morons will tell you you're wrong or "explain" things to you whether you're a man or a woman.

There was a twitter interaction a few months back where she made some cake and some guy tweeted "should have used a bigger pan because that looks delicious." Basically telling her she should have made more. She started going off about how that's what the recipe called for and she didn't need some guy mansplaining her about her recipe. It was so cringe. The guy was trying to compliment her.

Edit: This was the tweet chain.

Guy harmlessly says

because it looked good and she goes on some diatribe about mansplaining. Jesus Christ.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

14 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Don't listen to much talk radio but she constantly cries about people "man splaining" her whenever they disagree with her or talk with her. That shit drives me nuts. You're a public figure and morons will tell you you're wrong or "explain" things to you whether you're a man or a woman.

There was a twitter interaction a few months back where she made some cake and some guy tweeted "should have used a bigger pan because that looks delicious." Basically telling her she should have made more. She started going off about how that's what the recipe called for and she didn't need some guy mansplaining her about her recipe. It was so cringe. The guy was trying to compliment her.

Edit: This was the tweet chain.

Guy harmlessly says

because it looked good and she goes on some diatribe about mansplaining. Jesus Christ.

Don't you think it's kind of obvious why women would be overly defensive in that environment? I would imagine she's probably right in most of those interactions. 

• Like 4

It is annoying getting all the Tatis, Vlad Jr, and El Mago alerts all day. That being said, the Sox have gotten plenty of press this year. And certainly more than we did in 2005 when we weren't called the best team in baseball, but the team with the best record yada yada yada. We were even considered the best team for a few weeks with an EDPN article asking if anyone can catch us.