One way I know the sox are a great team again...

bmags

15 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Don't listen to much talk radio but she constantly cries about people "man splaining" her whenever they disagree with her or talk with her. That shit drives me nuts. You're a public figure and morons will tell you you're wrong or "explain" things to you whether you're a man or a woman.

There was a twitter interaction a few months back where she made some cake and some guy tweeted "should have used a bigger pan because that looks delicious." Basically telling her she should have made more. She started going off about how that's what the recipe called for and she didn't need some guy mansplaining her about her recipe. It was so cringe. The guy was trying to compliment her.

Edit: This was the tweet chain.

Guy harmlessly says

because it looked good and she goes on some diatribe about mansplaining. Jesus Christ.

Bernstein encourages this type of thing. He has become absolutely unlistenable at this point, and I used to be a fan of his. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

It is annoying getting all the Tatis, Vlad Jr, and El Mago alerts all day. That being said, the Sox have gotten plenty of press this year. And certainly more than we did in 2005 when we weren't called the best team in baseball, but the team with the best record yada yada yada. We were even considered the best team for a few weeks with an EDPN article asking if anyone can catch us. 

Of course but when the white sox get press it's because they should get press but when the other teams get press its because they hate the white sox.

I really enjoyed the PBS Ken Burns baseball series. I was very excited in  the late 2000's that they did an extra inning update episode because they were finally going to cover my 2005 White Sox. The Sox broke an 88 year championship drought with one of the most dominating playoff runs in history going 11-1. Ken Burns gave the series 13 seconds. Literally a 13 second blurb mention. They spent two hours on the Red sox / Yankees playoff series. As I always felt you will never win the media coverage. You can't control it, enjoy the people smart enough to recognize and comment on it.

Edited by palehose1
typo

1 hour ago, Quin said:

We've gotten plenty of press for our Hall of Fame manager.

The other day mully and haugh agreed that that Ross was doing a better job than TLR because the cubs have had more issues with injuries than the Sox.

Just now, palehose1 said:

I really enjoyed the PBS Ken Burns baseball series. I was very excited in  the late 2000's that they did an extra inning update episode because they were finally going to cover my 2005 White Sox. The Sox broke an 88 year championship drought with one of the most dominating playoff runs in history going 11-1. Ken Burns gave the series 13 seconds. Literally a 13 second blurb mention. They spent two hours on the Reds / Yankees playoff series. As I always felt you will never win the media coverage. You can't control it, enjoy the people smart enough to recognize and comment on it.

Ha, yeah, that one I was really disappointed in.

But part of that was just I followed the sox because my dad was an AL fan when they moved to chicago, which I mention to say history for the sox starts in the 90s for me.

And I still think the sox are particularly bad at cultivating a shared history among their fans. Despite same circumstances for other sports in Chicago, I soaked up bears and hawks history with ease. And I guess its worth mentioning the other team that really doesn't have a history I could point to is the Bulls - who basically start in 1983 in my head.

Maybe its a Reinsdorf thing?

But I hoped I'd get to see some footage of what the 50s and early 60s white sox were like, since they were damn good every year, and see what comiskey looked like and just nothin. Was a huge bummer.

Like the '64 sox were 98-64 and were 2nd place to the yankees by 1 damn game. 

Here is how much I know about the '64 White Sox :

- My great uncle swears Norm Cash would have led to a sox dynasty and hates bill veeck's guts to this day.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The sports media Sox fans (Mully, Bernstein, Holmes, etc)  are like this message board.  They love the Sox but everything the Sox do is bad and wrong. 

On the flip side it seems the Cub guys are always finding the silver lining.

Very true.  I have to laugh at Zach Zaidman, who is like "this is how you know the Cubs are true champions:  they've reached the stage of greatness where they don't feel the need to make the playoffs anymore"

2 hours ago, Quin said:

We've gotten plenty of press for our Hall of Fame manager.

This is one of the most annoying things about the season. Too many in the media, and Sox haters writ large, are all too happy to jump on the anti-TLR train (which I'm onboard myself) to make him the focus of the season and distract from the team's success. That's why I keep my TLR-bashing "all in the family."  TLR talk is for fellow Sox fans only. For everybody else it's "I haven't noticed -- since we're in first place" 😂

Edited by 35thstreetswarm

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

I love Mully and Hanley and Bernstein (not a big fan of Leila but that can change, she has some audio crutches that she leans on a lot), I'm out when Holmes is in, and back for Parkins and Spiegel.  They all have been giving the Sox a lot of time this year 

I’ve gone the exact opposite way of you. Radio is terrible because of most of the announcers you mentioned ( Mully the exception) and all the commercials. Bernstein is the biggest geek there is around. It was funny last year when Bernstein was interviewing Lester last year and asking him about new baseball stats that are out there and Lester says “ nobody that plays the game looks at shit like that”.

ive switched over to listening to podcasts. Minimal commercials and everybody is now doing them re history, sports etc. every baseball team has a podcast so if you want to listen to the Sox and the team they are playing you get two different perspectives. Locked on Sox is the one I listen too. Two guys from the Score do it every day. It’s great. 

44 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Don't listen to much but she constantly cries about people "man splaining" her whenever they disagree with her or talk with her. That shit drives me nuts. You're a public figure and morons will tell you you're wrong or "explain" things to you whether you're a man or a woman.

There was a twitter interaction a few months back where she made some cake and some guy tweeted "should have used a bigger pan because that looks delicious." Basically telling her she should have made more. She started going off about how that's what the recipe called for and she didn't need some guy mansplaining her about her recipe. It was so cringe. The guy was trying to compliment her.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Don't you think it's kind of obvious why women would be overly defensive in that environment? I would imagine she's probably right in most of those interactions. 

Defensive about a guy telling you that you should have made more cake? Are you insane?

The victim mentality in life is annoying as fuck. Tread in public waters, especially the idiocy that is talk radio and expect to take absurd criticism and ridicule. If anything people white knight her endlessly on twitter and etc. I'm certainly not oblivious to BS sexism, but calling everything mansplaining whenever anyone disagrees with you is just exploiting that area.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Defensive about a guy telling you that you should have made more cake? Are you insane?

The victim mentality in life is annoying as fuck. Tread in public waters, especially the idiocy that is talk radio and expect to take absurd criticism and ridicule. If anything people white knight her endlessly on twitter and etc.

I can imagine you'd be sensitive about undeserved "mansplaining" accusations.  If you need a witness that you just talk that way regardless of gender I'm sure plenty of posters on this board would vouch for you.

• Fire 3

1 minute ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I can imagine you'd be sensitive about undeserved "mansplaining" accusations.  If you need a witness that you just talk that way regardless of gender I'm sure plenty of posters on this board would vouch for you.

LOL i'm a dickhead who explains things to women and men equally. I'm an equal opportunity douche.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

She got mad cause Ray called her pal

I've actually never interacted with her, I just read her shaming that guy and then heard he crying on 670 one day when someone texted something correcting something wrong she said and both time she was crying about mansplaining. I just felt like bitching about it this morning but I've probably wasted too many words on it at this point. I'm sure she's nice enough.

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I've actually never interacted with her, I just read her shaming that guy and then heard he crying on 670 one day when someone texted something correcting something wrong she said and both time she was crying about mansplaining. I just felt like bitching about it this morning but I've probably wasted too many words on it at this point. I'm sure she's nice enough.

Do yourself a favor and never look at Julie DiCaro's Twitter. You're welcome. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Do yourself a favor and never look at Julie DiCaro's Twitter. You're welcome. 

Oh, she's much worse. One of my favorite tweet chains from this past year was her blowing up some website and writers for not paying their interns and her crying how it prevents black people and others who are less well off from being writers because they can't afford to work for free yada yada (not bad points, for the record, and unpaid internships do suck) and one of her former interns came forward and pointed out she used unpaid internships herself during her career. 😂

Leila is harmless enough and tries to have a good time with people and I'm probably being a dick, she's no DiCaro. I just was bothered by the mansplaining thing whenever someone is wrong.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

It is annoying getting all the Tatis, Vlad Jr, and El Mago alerts all day. That being said, the Sox have gotten plenty of press this year. And certainly more than we did in 2005 when we weren't called the best team in baseball, but the team with the best record yada yada yada. We were even considered the best team for a few weeks with an EDPN article asking if anyone can catch us. 

Yeah that was amazing. For most of the season until the September cold spell the Sox had run way out ahead and broken the leash. Yet the attention was perfunctory.

35 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The victim mentality in life is annoying as fuck. Tread in public waters, especially the idiocy that is talk radio and expect to take absurd criticism and ridicule. If anything people white knight her endlessly on twitter and etc. I'm certainly not oblivious to BS sexism, but calling everything mansplaining whenever anyone disagrees with you is just exploiting that area.

When did I mention that she was right about the cake? I said I can imagine why she's "overly defensive." I have no idea why you're talking about the "victim mentality" in that reply, but it seems like you have an ax to grind and you couldn't wait to post that canned response that had little to do with my post. 

• Like 3
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Very true.  I have to laugh at Zach Zaidman, who is like "this is how you know the Cubs are true champions:  they've reached the stage of greatness where they don't feel the need to make the playoffs anymore"

Zaidman will do a better job when he takes his cubs skirt off. He’s terrible

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

When did I mention that she was right about the cake? I said I can imagine why she's "overly defensive." I have no idea why you're talking about the "victim mentality" in that reply, but it seems like you have an ax to grind and you couldn't wait to post that canned response that had little to do with my post. 

Please don't mansplain me!

• Haha 1

One of the best parts of being cableless in the PNW is that none of this exists out there.  I listen to quite a bit of sports talk radio but it's 90% Seahawks mixed in with 8% mariners and then 2% national shit, at best.  I can see if I was still a cable subscriber and had ESPN all day at work that I'd get annoyed, especially at the Mets shit.  The Mets are such a horribly run franchise and have had real scandals (well beyond the Sox) that somehow get glossed over everytime they manage to hover around .500 for awhile.  They def benefit from low expectations.