Formula One

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
44 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Casual fan, but from what I read it seems more like a made for tv WWF finish than a fair competition.

The standard practice is to have cars not on the lead lap pass the safety (pace) car and circle around to the back of the field before the safety car exits and the race restarts. Doing it by the book would have reached the end of the race before being able to restart. The decision was to have just the cars between the 1st and 2nd place cars pass the safety car and then restart the race with one lap to go. In a vacuum, it sounds like a good idea to not have the championship finish without restarting the race, but in reality, it was a huge advantage for Verstappen because he had newer tires. Of course, if any one of the long string of previous decisions hadn't gone in Hamilton's favor, some very questionably, then this decision wouldn't have even mattered.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The straights look Monza-esque, visually the whole race will be stunning. 

Hoping that between with Miami and Vegas now on the calendar that maybe the Austin demand will fall a bit so the tickets are a little more affordable. Miami is already at Super Bowl prices and I can't even imagine what Vegas tickets will cost next year.

21 minutes ago, hawksfan61 said:

The straights look Monza-esque, visually the whole race will be stunning. 

Hoping that between with Miami and Vegas now on the calendar that maybe the Austin demand will fall a bit so the tickets are a little more affordable. Miami is already at Super Bowl prices and I can't even imagine what Vegas tickets will cost next year.

At least vegas is built for large influxes of people, and will probably be just as fun just to be there during that weekend if not in the race. I could see COTA definitely becoming more affordable for tickets but still a pain to travel to, austin hotels see such crazy price inflection depending on the events. Miami I always find to be a pain in the ass, no doubt it is going to be fun for those who go.

We are actually going to Montreal which all-in-all is pretty decent, not expensive to fly to, hotels are normal big city prices, and wasn't difficult to get tickets so long as you were prepared when they opened.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

At least vegas is built for large influxes of people, and will probably be just as fun just to be there during that weekend if not in the race. I could see COTA definitely becoming more affordable for tickets but still a pain to travel to, austin hotels see such crazy price inflection depending on the events. Miami I always find to be a pain in the ass, no doubt it is going to be fun for those who go.

We are actually going to Montreal which all-in-all is pretty decent, not expensive to fly to, hotels are normal big city prices, and wasn't difficult to get tickets so long as you were prepared when they opened.

Good friends of ours live in the Austin area, so at least the hotel part of COTA wouldn't be an issue for me.

I thought about Montreal, might eye that up for next year if the first run tickets aren't crazy expensive. Would love to hear what your experience is like up there in June.

1 hour ago, hawksfan61 said:

Good friends of ours live in the Austin area, so at least the hotel part of COTA wouldn't be an issue for me.

I thought about Montreal, might eye that up for next year if the first run tickets aren't crazy expensive. Would love to hear what your experience is like up there in June.

Just looked it up but our grandstand tickets were $250 (we are at grandstand 31 in front of turns 9/10). Not sure how it compared to COTA (October is way harder to travel due to school) but was definitely cheaper than miami when we looked.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

If we're going to have all these races in the US, can we at least get one good US driver and/or team? All Haas is good for is finishing ahead of the cars that don't finish.

Kevin Magnussen has more points than Danny Ricciardo in a mclaren. Everything since dropping Uralkali has been arrow pointing up for Haas. 

But there is a rumor Zack Brown is eyeing Colton Herta for a McLaren seat in 2024. Is bet he gets lured sooner or later.

Logan Sargaent is in F2 and tied to Williams but is only doing middling and I doubt he’s the one unless he shoots up next year.

8 hours ago, bmags said:

Kevin Magnussen has more points than Danny Ricciardo in a mclaren. Everything since dropping Uralkali has been arrow pointing up for Haas. 

But there is a rumor Zack Brown is eyeing Colton Herta for a McLaren seat in 2024. Is bet he gets lured sooner or later.

Logan Sargaent is in F2 and tied to Williams but is only doing middling and I doubt he’s the one unless he shoots up next year.

So here's a question: if Herta goes to F1 and especially if Norris is still there, with them both having started in IndyCar, would it be feasible to run an IndyCar race on the US F1 courses the day before the F1 race? And if so, would it be feasible for Herta and/or Norris to run both?

16 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

If we're going to have all these races in the US, can we at least get one good US driver and/or team? All Haas is good for is finishing ahead of the cars that don't finish.

Haas had some terrible luck yesterday, with both cars taking damage after that safety car. Feel terrible for Mick, who should have had his first points in this one. 

Also amazing what Albon is able to do in that horrible Williams car. The pace he gets out of that thing on race day is incredible. They really need to put Latifi on a rocket and fire him into the sun.

Edited by hawksfan61

16 minutes ago, hawksfan61 said:

Haas had some terrible luck yesterday, with both cars taking damage after that safety car. Feel terrible for Mick, who should have had his first points in this one. 

Also amazing what Albon is able to do in that horrible Williams car. The pace he gets out of that thing on race day is incredible. They really need to put Latifi on a rocket and fire him into the sun.

Yeah Seriously. Williams car doesn’t look any more competitive than last year yet Albon has found points twice. 

I hope Williams no longer needs the Latifi money, I’d hope this is Pietris spot but with him being Sauber and his lack of backing it’s been confusing who ultimately takes his talent.

id assume open spots next year would be Latifi for sure. But then after that we’ll see of Vettel, Ricciardo, and Alonso who sticks around.

Gasly moves somewhere too.

4 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

So here's a question: if Herta goes to F1 and especially if Norris is still there, with them both having started in IndyCar, would it be feasible to run an IndyCar race on the US F1 courses the day before the F1 race? And if so, would it be feasible for Herta and/or Norris to run both?

They could at COTA, but logistically seems impossible. There is so much equipment for these things to move in and out, and you'd be splitting your revenue between two orgs.

Norris only did virtual racing in Indycar, but Fernando Alonso has in-season tried at the Indy500 since McLaren races in both. That's where you could see something, but Monaco and Indy500 are scheduled very closely together now. But if a team does it, it will be McLaren which seems to rely on more promotions than the others and has the teams across indy, formula one, formula e, etc.

If Andretti joins F1, I could see another Indy500 in season race maybe as well.