One Trade Chip for every team

caulfield12

Many teams will ask about second baseman Nick Madrigal or right-handed pitcher Michael Kopech, who were trade targets at last season’s Deadline, not to mention left-handed pitcher Garrett Crochet, the team’s top pick in the 2020 Draft. But it seems unlikely the White Sox will disrupt the strong core they have built in what they view as a championship-caliber team. With many of their top young players already contributing at the Major League level, that scenario leaves developing pitching talent as the potentially biggest trade chips. Those names would include right-handed pitchers Jared Kelley (No. 1 White Sox prospect, per MLB Pipeline), Matthew Thompson (No. 3), Jonathan Stiever (No. 4) and Andrew Dalquist (No. 5).

https://www.mlb.com/news/one-trade-chip-for-every-mlb-team-in-2021

3 minutes ago, Cashman said:

I would not being giving up Kelley or Thompson, unless something blew you away. I don't think Stiever is going to be anything more than a AAAA pitcher.

I really don't think teams would be interested in any of the Kanny pitchers, they've all been pretty awful. 

If the Sox want to make a deal, they'd probably have to trade either Madrigal or Crochet. I really like Crochet but I don't think he's ever going to reach his potential with the way the Sox are using him. If they could trade for a RF with 3 years of control for him that fixes that black hole, I'd consider it. 

Sadly, the Sox don't have any prospect capital left to supplement the core. Maybe they could get something for guys like Sheets/Rutherford/Adolfo who are doing well in the high minors and are out of options. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I really don't think teams would be interested in any of the Kanny pitchers, they've all been pretty awful. 

If the Sox want to make a deal, they'd probably have to trade either Madrigal or Crochet. 

Nothing on the trade block would warrant that return.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Many teams will ask about second baseman Nick Madrigal or right-handed pitcher Michael Kopech, who were trade targets at last season’s Deadline, not to mention left-handed pitcher Garrett Crochet, the team’s top pick in the 2020 Draft. But it seems unlikely the White Sox will disrupt the strong core they have built in what they view as a championship-caliber team. With many of their top young players already contributing at the Major League level, that scenario leaves developing pitching talent as the potentially biggest trade chips. Those names would include right-handed pitchers Jared Kelley (No. 1 White Sox prospect, per MLB Pipeline), Matthew Thompson (No. 3), Jonathan Stiever (No. 4) and Andrew Dalquist (No. 5).

https://www.mlb.com/news/one-trade-chip-for-every-mlb-team-in-2021

They should stop asking, then. Nope. 

Edited by asindc
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If the Sox want to make a deal, they'd probably have to trade either Madrigal or Crochet. I really like Crochet but I don't think he's ever going to reach his potential with the way the Sox are using him. If they could trade for a RF with 3 years of control for him that fixes that black hole, I'd consider it. 

Sadly, the Sox don't have any prospect capital left to supplement the core. Maybe they could get something for guys like Sheets/Rutherford/Adolfo who are doing well in the high minors and are out of options. 

I think teams are smart enough to realize that the loss of an entire league has forced guys up above where they would usually be, and aren't hung up on only stats.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

You're forgetting Cespedes and then Colas for RF...don't think it is seen as much of a need long-term.   They can also use Madrigal, Garcia (I think this might end up as his last year, but probably not with TLR), all the minor leaguers, Vaughn, Sheets.  Pretty much everyone but Burger, who needs to stay put at 3B.

16 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

You're forgetting Cespedes and then Colas for RF...don't think it is seen as much of a need long-term.   They can also use Madrigal, Garcia (I think this might end up as his last year, but probably not with TLR), all the minor leaguers, Vaughn, Sheets.  Pretty much everyone but Burger, who needs to stay put at 3B.

I know they're a possibility, but......I don't think that either Cuban will be ready until 2023 at the earliest. Who knows if Colas has similar issues to Cespedes and has trouble getting to the States next year. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

23 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I'm glad the Sox blew their international load on Yolbert Sanchez. Great move during that period. 

That's simply an amazing insight there, 1 like.  Mission accomplished.

Maybe we can have standings for who does and doesn't give out emoji's, too?

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

That's simply an amazing insight there, 1 like.  Mission accomplished.

Maybe we can have standings for who does and doesn't give out emoji's, too?

I don't have to go out if my way for likes. Some people just have "it". They naturally come my way. Take notes, caulfield. 

2 hours ago, ron883 said:

I don't have to go out if my way for likes. Some people just have "it". They naturally come my way. Take notes, caulfield. 

I wanted to give you some flare but this option wasn’t available: 👎

I don't think there's anyone who would be potentially traded that would warrant giving up Madrigal or Kopech.  I could see the Sox dealing someone like Crochet, Thompson, Stiever, or Dalquist if a really useful player was available.  Right now, a very good outfielder with multiple years of control would be the only piece that fits that scenario.

Gallo is probably the big prize that could interest the Sox.  With one more year of control, I don't know how much the Sox would/should be willing to give up.  He's slot in nicely in RF and has a bat that can change the game (see what I did there?).

Giving up less than one of those top four, I could see the Sox looking at Adam Frazier with the Pirates.  He's having a nice year and can play anywhere.  He's a decent corner outfielder and can play the middle infield.  Think Leury but probably a better hitter when getting consistent playing time.

Santander is another quiet possibility.  He's been solid offensively and defensively and is under control through 2024.  With the years of control, though, I see him being sought after by multiple teams and may eventually be too pricey for the Sox.

36 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I don't think there's anyone who would be potentially traded that would warrant giving up Madrigal or Kopech.  I could see the Sox dealing someone like Crochet, Thompson, Stiever, or Dalquist if a really useful player was available.  Right now, a very good outfielder with multiple years of control would be the only piece that fits that scenario.

Gallo is probably the big prize that could interest the Sox.  With one more year of control, I don't know how much the Sox would/should be willing to give up.  He's slot in nicely in RF and has a bat that can change the game (see what I did there?).

Giving up less than one of those top four, I could see the Sox looking at Adam Frazier with the Pirates.  He's having a nice year and can play anywhere.  He's a decent corner outfielder and can play the middle infield.  Think Leury but probably a better hitter when getting consistent playing time.

Santander is another quiet possibility.  He's been solid offensively and defensively and is under control through 2024.  With the years of control, though, I see him being sought after by multiple teams and may eventually be too pricey for the Sox.

Why not Bryan Reynolds then....?

25 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Why not Bryan Reynolds then....?

I like the idea.  He would most likely be heavily sought after and may be too pricey.  Who knows, though.  The Pirates have been selling for years, and maybe Reynolds is a guy they'll want to hold on to.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cashman said:

I would not being giving up Kelley or Thompson, unless something blew you away. I don't think Stiever is going to be anything more than a AAAA pitcher.

Stiever pitched a shutout. Six ip.

7 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

I don’t either. The other option people keep throwing out (Peralta) hasn’t been too hot this year either. 

Starling Marte

Ketel Marte...way too expensive

Michael A. Taylor

DeShields

Kris Bryant 

Charlie Blackmon

R. Tapia

Conforto on return from injury

Haniger

Brett Gardner/Miguel Andujar

Robbie Grossman

Eduardo Escobar

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

My guess is the Sox trade Gavin Sheets for a solid but unspectacular relief pitcher at the deadline, and that is their only move.  I don't see a trade for an outfielder with Engel now back from his injury and Robert due back in late August/early September.

Id say they are more likely to use Sheets than trade him. Engel is a 4th outfielder and theres no guarantee that Robert plays this year.