One Trade Chip for every team

caulfield12

Eaton at this point is sure to get that $1 million opt out for next season.  Sox need to cut bait on him at some point and find a solution. But we have had so many OF injuries, management probably doesn’t feel great about willingly giving away expensive depth at this point. 

Going into next season we lose Eaton (hopefully), Garcia (probably), Hamilton and Lamb. 

We return Robert, Vaughn, Engle and Jimenez.  We also don’t need someone that blocks Cespedes rise. Therefore, a one season rental for the right price seems to be the answer. 

S Marte or Kris Bryant at the right price would be great since they leave the spots open going forward. But a price for either will be difficult. 

I can't imagine a scenario in which the Sox give up a good prospect; or I should say SHOULD give up a good prospect.  What do the Sox need?  Some middle relief; maybe a corner OF.  That's not good prospect territory.  Oh sure, they could get involved in Scherzer, but the marginal gains don't warrant that - they have no weaknesses in the  rotation.  

2 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

The Sox are one rotation injury away from an early 2000‘s fifth starter disaster. They need a swing man they can slot into the rotation if shit hits the fan IMO

I would imagine we're only something like 45 days away from Kopech taking a rotation spot.  Not saying a swingman wouldn't have use, but I don't think the Sox absolutely need to acquire somebody who can make major league starts this summer.  

Edited by ChiSox59

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

Charlie Blackmon would be an interesting get.  Only signed through 2021 so won't be in the way when Eloy and Robert return.

Hes got two player options, thats going to be a no.

26 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I can't imagine a scenario in which the Sox give up a good prospect; or I should say SHOULD give up a good prospect.  What do the Sox need?  Some middle relief; maybe a corner OF.  That's not good prospect territory.  Oh sure, they could get involved in Scherzer, but the marginal gains don't warrant that - they have no weaknesses in the  rotation.  

As of right now, I agree with you. But that can change with an injury.

2 hours ago, Vulture said:

I don’t think Cespedes is the level of prospect that you don’t acquire players in order to avoid blocking, when in window of contention. Sox aren’t rebuilding anymore

Agreed. Same with Colas. I think it's wild that people assume the OF opening is solved with them. They are interesting prospects for sure, but they aren't slam dunk long term fixtures yet.

1 minute ago, GermanSoxFan said:

Of course they have. Whether they want to part with talent like Crochet is a completely different wuestion.

It doesn’t make any sense not to spend another $15-20 million compared to blowing all our prospect capital...it would ensure things get really difficult assuming we’re not willing to throw $200+ million at TA7 after 2024.  The reality is that 3-5 year peak window for most rebuilds.  Look at the Cubs’ struggles the last three and now fourth years out of their seven year window that was created by holding Bryant back.

Just now, heirdog said:

I'd love Kris Bryant but Cubs aren't selling...

So get the best player possible in return for a Burger and a Frye. 😉

I'd probably hold off on trading Burger.  The Sox have shown some pretty good self scouting and development lately and he might be twice as valuable this time next year if he keeps hitting down in AAA.  I believe he has at least one more year off the protection list for Rule 5.  

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I'd probably hold off on trading Burger.  The Sox have shown some pretty good self scouting and development lately and he might be twice as valuable this time next year if he keeps hitting down in AAA.  I believe he has at least one more year off the protection list for Rule 5.  

Good point.  I'm just worried that he cools off and he really doesn't have much position flexibility so looking to sell high.  If we can time it with a winter or next trade deadline to get max value, so be it...just don't see him as a regular over Moncada, Abreu, Vaughn or anyone else in the next two years.

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

they got jake lamb tho.

Lamb is a fine bench piece, but Eaton sucks because he's always injured now. They still have a black hole in RF. 

I'm pretty ok with the Sox rotation and lineup in 2022 except for RF. They need a 5th starter, a RF and some middle relief and that's about it. 

I'd like them to offer Lynn a 2/44 deal or something like that and then they're really set. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 2

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Lamb is a fine bench piece, but Eaton sucks because he's always injured now. They still have a black hole in RF. 

they are 17th in WAR from RF.  That's hardly a black hole.  I mean I agree they probably could use another good lefty bat and one that plays RF would be ideal but it's not a huge concern right now.  If I'm Hahn I'm more interested in using the limited trade capital for another back end bullpen rental and letting RF sort itself out in the fall when Robert is back and hopefully Eloy.