It's ridiculous. What's the deal with Yoelqui??

vilehoopster

Has Hahn or anyone come out and discussed or explained what's happening with Yoelqui Cespedes?

From continually checking this forum, I have read over and over it's Visa issues. But others have stated that he's in Arizona doing workouts, but his Visa won't let him travel or something like that. I could see a Visa issue taking five days to clear up, maybe even two weeks. But it's now five weeks into the minor league season and still no Yoelqui playing minor league ball. This is a huge prospect. How is this still going on? Again, he's now missed five weeks of minor league ball. 

This is the guy who was rated the # 1 international prospect by many services (I know other disagree). What is happening with this guy. I want to get excited about him, and I keep checking here expecting to see that he's playing, but it never happens. 

Can Hahn or someone in the Sox media come out and clarify what is happening with such a highly valued prospect? Are the Sox going to piss away an entire season of  minor league ball on "Visa issues"?  It makes no sense to me, and makes me think something else is going on. 

If someone on Soxtalk knew, it would have already been said.  If we had the power to force "Sox media" to speak our words, we also would have already done it.  At the end of the day you are dealing with the federal government, and an agency within the government which was largely reconfigured to do to immigrants exactly what we are seeing done here in being so difficult and confounding to solve that people just give up and go back home.

• Like 2

Great post Vile.   I could not agree with you more.   It’s borderline shocking this young man is still not playing for one of the minor league teams and no one seems to have an answer why, other than Visa issues.

25 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Has Hahn or anyone come out and discussed or explained what's happening with Yoelqui Cespedes?

From continually checking this forum, I have read over and over it's Visa issues. But others have stated that he's in Arizona doing workouts, but his Visa won't let him travel or something like that. I could see a Visa issue taking five days to clear up, maybe even two weeks. But it's now five weeks into the minor league season and still no Yoelqui playing minor league ball. This is a huge prospect. How is this still going on? Again, he's now missed five weeks of minor league ball. 

This is the guy who was rated the # 1 international prospect by many services (I know other disagree). What is happening with this guy. I want to get excited about him, and I keep checking here expecting to see that he's playing, but it never happens. 

Can Hahn or someone in the Sox media come out and clarify what is happening with such a highly valued prospect? Are the Sox going to piss away an entire season of  minor league ball on "Visa issues"?  It makes no sense to me, and makes me think something else is going on. 

I get that Cespedes is a high profile case, but visa issues can take much, much longer than that. Visa reviews can take months. The US immigration system is a complete and utter mess.

8 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

If someone on Soxtalk knew, it would have already been said.  If we had the power to force "Sox media" to speak our words, we also would have already done it.  At the end of the day you are dealing with the federal government, and an agency within the government which was largely reconfigured to do to immigrants exactly what we are seeing done here in being so difficult and confounding to solve that people just give up and go back home.

Did he get in before “Don’t come” started?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

8 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

This has been a problem for years, for several players. This isn't new because of recent "reconfigurations".

• Like 2

On 6/8/2021 at 3:49 PM, Quin said:

I get that Cespedes is a high profile case, but visa issues can take much, much longer than that. Visa reviews can take months. The US immigration system is a complete and utter mess.

Yes and no. This isn't some couple in Berwyn trying to bring Grandma up from Mexico; I could see that taking months and months. This is a prospect of an organization worth 100's of millions of dollars, a million dollar prospect with his own agent who has to have a lawyer or two. Somebody has to have someone, somewhere in all of this hundred of millions of dollars of agents, lawyers, and organization who has dealt with this before and who has the knowledge and experience; who can somehow expedite this Visa situation in, it seems to me, at most a couple weeks. But nothing after five weeks, at least???  Again, it makes no sense. 

Yoelqui is here? In America, in Arizona if I read  it correctly on this site?  Why can't this be fixed? Why is no one from the Sox organization talking about this? Again, it seems like something else is going on. I wonder if the Sox want it fixed. 

I am starting to think that maybe where ever in Arizona, is now Schaumburg West. That the Sox have no intention of Yoelqui playing minor league ball. I think there's a possibility that the Sox plan to Vaughn and Crochet him, bring him right to the majors with no minor league experience. It's worked out pretty well twice.  

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

Yes and no. This isn't some couple in Berwyn trying to bring Grandma up from Mexico; I could see that taking months and months. This is a prospect of an organization worth 100's of millions of dollars, a million dollar prospect with his own agent who has to have a lawyer or two. Somebody has to have someone, somewhere in all of this hundred of millions of dollars of agents, lawyers, and organization who has dealt with this before and who has the knowledge and experience; who can somehow expedite this Visa situation in, it seems to me, at most a couple weeks. But nothing after five weeks, at least???  Again, it makes no sense. 

Yoelqui is here? In America, in Arizona if I read  it correctly on this site?  Why can't this be fixed? Why is no one from the Sox organization talking about this? Again, it seems like something else is going on. I wonder if the Sox want it fixed. 

I am starting to think that maybe where ever in Arizona, is now Schaumburg West. That the Sox have no intention of Yoelqui playing minor league ball. I think there's a possibility that the Sox plan to Vaughn and Crochet him, bring him right to the majors with no minor league experience. It's worked out pretty well twice.  

There is zero chance of this being true. There wasn't MiLB last year being the biggest problem, but even then those guys went to the covid camp.  This kid would be playing affiliated ball if he could. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Awesome, did he just get stateside?  If so, hopefully they’re just giving him some time to get back in the flow of things before heading to Birmingham.

I don't believe so. I don't think he's gone back to the DR at all which makes this strange. He was in Florida when he signed which is why he's able to be stateside without tax/bonus issues. Chris Getz said he was expected to go to Birmingham once visa issues were taken care of. He's been in Arizona though which doesn't make much sense. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/8/2021 at 11:19 PM, KrankinSox said:

This has been a problem for years, for several players. This isn't new because of recent "reconfigurations".

Can somebody expand on this? What recent reconfigurations have made it more difficult to get a visa?

Edited by ron883

8 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don't believe so. I don't think he's gone back to the DR at all which makes this strange. He was in Florida when he signed which is why he's able to be stateside without tax/bonus issues. Chris Getz said he was expected to go to Birmingham once visa issues were taken care of. He's been in Arizona though which doesn't make much sense. 

Wow that is strange.  Admittedly I have no idea how visas work, but I would have assumed if he can’t play for an affiliate then he couldn’t be stateside.  Regardless, let’s hope it gets settled soon.  I was super bummed about Vera not coming over this year, but at least he’s young enough to overcome it.  Cespedes losing a full season would be really problematic.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Wow that is strange.  Admittedly I have no idea how visas work, but I would have assumed if he can’t play for an affiliate then he couldn’t be stateside.  Regardless, let’s hope it gets settled soon.  I was super bummed about Vera not coming over this year, but at least he’s young enough to overcome it.  Cespedes losing a full season would be really problematic.

Maybe he isn’t getting paid a wage yet and if Sox sent him to Birmingham he’d have to have a work visa? (This is a stretch, I know

• Like 1