How baserunning has become an embarrassing problem in Major League Baseball

caulfield12

Quoted:

andy van slyke

dusty baker

buck showalter

Paul molitor

get off my lawn old men! Seriously baserunning is as good or bad as it’s ever been.  I don’t see much difference other than the correct position that steals usually aren’t the smart play.  Guys go from 1st to 3rd as well as ever, probably better than in the 80s and 90s given the improved conditioning.  

much ado about nothing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Quoted:

andy van slyke

dusty baker

buck showalter

Paul molitor

get off my lawn old men! Seriously baserunning is as good or bad as it’s ever been.  I don’t see much difference other than the correct position that steals usually aren’t the smart play.  Guys go from 1st to 3rd as well as ever, probably better than in the 80s and 90s given the improved conditioning.  

much ado about nothing.

Nick Madrigal says hi!   Just not as much recently.

18 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I saw 2 guys who hit  HR's yesterday get called out because they missed bases.

I saw Jerry Dybzinski run through a stop sign on Oct. 8, 1983.  Might have cost his team a World Series appearance.  Hold on...he ran through second toward third when the lead runner had a stop sign.

Too soon?

Edited by JTB
  • Fire 1

34 minutes ago, JTB said:

I saw Jerry Dybzinski run through a stop sign on Oct. 8, 1983.  Might have cost his team a World Series appearance.  Hold on...he ran through second toward third when the lead runner had a stop sign.

Too soon?

Too late!  Darned Tito Landrum. 

7 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Quoted:

andy van slyke

dusty baker

buck showalter

Paul molitor

much ado about nothing.

You might be right. Every generation thinking the next generational sucks is as old as the history of mankind. And every youngsters thinks that old men have nothing to offer, that experience means nothing.

However I'm going to side with Kris Bryant on this one since he is a youngster saying how he was taught by his father so he obviously valued the opinion of an elder. This is because I can relate to what he said I suppose. I hated it when I hit a DP ball and I put all that hating myself into running as hard as I could to 1st on the crazy chance that I could be redeemed if a fielder made a mistake that would allow me to reach 1st base by sprinting hard.

The worst thing that can happen to a poster on this board is feeling like the whole board thinks you're an idiot. That happened to me arguing over a bad base running play that cost the Sox a game. All these people telling you it's baseball 101etc etc. I don't think I convinced anyone I was right and I still think I am right. It was a hard position to defend because it was hard to find any support but I did a lot of research and wrote to a coach online and explained the situation and he said i was right . Then I found an article by Cal Ripken  saying I was right. I still don't think I changed anyones mind but at least I felt a bit vindicated .

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Happened to Witt Jr. missing home plate in minors as well. 

That's one of the 2 I was talking about , the other one they mentioned in the article was Ke'Bryan Hayes. I was probably mistaken that they happened on the same day. I just know I watched the videos on the same day.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You might be right. Every generation thinking the next generational sucks is as old as the history of mankind. And every youngsters thinks that old men have nothing to offer, that experience means nothing.

However I'm going to side with Kris Bryant on this one since he is a youngster saying how he was taught by his father so he obviously valued the opinion of an elder. This is because I can relate to what he said I suppose. I hated it when I hit a DP ball and I put all that hating myself into running as hard as I could to 1st on the crazy chance that I could be redeemed if a fielder made a mistake that would allow me to reach 1st base by sprinting hard.

The worst thing that can happen to a poster on this board is feeling like the whole board thinks you're an idiot. That happened to me arguing over a bad base running play that cost the Sox a game. All these people telling you it's baseball 101etc etc. I don't think I convinced anyone I was right and I still think I am right. It was a hard position to defend because it was hard to find any support but I did a lot of research and wrote to a coach online and explained the situation and he said i was right . Then I found an article by Cal Ripken  saying I was right. I still don't think I changed anyones mind but at least I felt a bit vindicated .

Bryant's secret is so simple... he's not a blazer.  His dad taught him to always hit the inside corners of the bags when rounding the bases, cutting down on wasted time, movement... straightest path to your destination, like a race car or motorcyclist hitting the inside of curves. 

21 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Quoted:

andy van slyke

dusty baker

buck showalter

Paul molitor

much ado about nothing.

Yes I only care what a zit popper who never put on a jockstrap thinks about the current state of baserunning. His experience goes all the way back to 2017!

21 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I saw 2 guys who hit  HR's yesterday get called out because they missed bases.

Carlos May did that. The Pirate missed first. He didn’t even get a single. At least Carlos missed home and got a triple.

Edited by Dick Allen