Madrigal goes on 60 day DL, Hamstring tear: Goodwin recalled

2Deep

23 minutes ago, runtheballdown said:

The Sox are built on pitching. As long as they don’t lose any pitchers they will be ok. 

The starting pitching has been great.  The bullpen has been spotty.  Last night was a perfect example of why this team will be in trouble if they lose much more in the way of starting offense.

30 minutes ago, Quin said:

Oh yeah, I'd most def do this for Marte, but I don't think it comes close. I think you'd need to basically upgrade the first three from Kelley to Crochet, Sanchez to Burger, and Vera to Dalquist or Thompson.

If Kelley had been dominating so far, Sanchez been raking, etc. different story.

Man, Crochet, Dalquist/Thompson, Burger and one of Sanchez/Adolfo/Rutherford/Sheets/Gonzalez seems like a super strong return.  But I don't doubt that would be the ask at this juncture.  

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Man, Crochet, Dalquist/Thompson, Burger and one of Sanchez/Adolfo/Rutherford/Sheets/Gonzalez seems like a super strong return.  But I don't doubt that would be the ask at this juncture.  

Too much.  It’s not like our guys are lost for the season.  It hurts, but I think we just soldier on and wait for the reinforcements to start to arrive later in the Summer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Too much.  It’s not like our guys are lost for the season.  It hurts, but I think we just soldier on and wait for the reinforcements to start to arrive later in the Summer.

We certainly don't know that for sure at this point.  I remain hopeful we'll see Eloy and Robert in August/September, but far from a guarantee.  

I think its a pretty good scenerio if Madrigal is on a similar timeline.  Grade 2 hammy strain (same injury Engel had), would put him on about that timeline.  

But yeah - I agree.  Too much.  I'd love to trade for Ketel, and since he's not a rental, I'd be willing to part with Kelley.  But I am not subtracting from the MLB team.  

23 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Oh yeah, I'm talking right now, not at the deadline.

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

We certainly don't know that for sure at this point.  I remain hopeful we'll see Eloy and Robert in August/September, but far from a guarantee.  

I think its a pretty good scenerio if Madrigal is on a similar timeline.  Grade 2 hammy strain (same injury Engel had), would put him on about that timeline.  

But yeah - I agree.  Too much.  I'd love to trade for Ketel, and since he's not a rental, I'd be willing to part with Kelley.  But I am not subtracting from the MLB team.  

I understand people's skepticism but at least with Eloy, his injury recovery is pretty straightforward. Barring a setback he should be playing baseball in August. 

Not sure how much Kelley is going to be valued. Not only is he getting shelled out there he got shut down with forearm tightness/soreness. 

5 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I understand people's skepticism but at least with Eloy, his injury recovery is pretty straightforward. Barring a setback he should be playing baseball in August. 

Not sure how much Kelley is going to be valued. Not only is he getting shelled out there he got shut down with forearm tightness/soreness. 

Fair.  The forearm tightness is concerning.  Had not heard about that until last night.  Generally speaking, I don't think teams would be overly concerned about the early performance a 19 YO that profiles very well first taste of professional baseball.  But yeah, if he's on the road to TJS, that would certainly hamper value some I would imagine.  

Realistically, Kelley/Dalquist/Thompson are our best bullets.  Which isn't great.  But I don't see Hahn substracting from the young core at the MLB level.  

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

Ketel Marte is a 7 fWAR player (in 2019) currently with a >.400 OBP on a bargain contract for another 3.5 years. I see him as a more positionally versatile Moncada with a bit more home run power, which probably makes him a top 6-10 position player in the game. Maybe I'm just crazy, but combining that with his contract, I can't see any trade for him that doesn't include two of Kopech, Vaughn, and Crochet, plus a bunch of the other guys you mentioned. He's a superstar

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Nick_Schwam said:

That’s the worst part about Hammys is that you can continue to tweak it if you do not allow it to heal fully. 

definitely, but Engel was much closer to worst case scenario than expectation

10 minutes ago, Nick_Schwam said:

That’s the worst part about Hammys is that you can continue to tweak it if you do not allow it to heal fully. 

Last yr a guy at the gym started yelling HELP and he was stuck under the bench press about 300LBS, I went running over to help and guess what I pulled a hammy trying to get the bar off his chest, what a cluster that was, but my Dr told me NO lifting for 2 months as the reoccurance rate for hammys was high without strict adherence so this is 100% truth 

2 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Last yr a guy at the gym started yelling HELP and he was stuck under the bench press about 300LBS, I went running over to help and guess what I pulled a hammy trying to get the bar off his chest, what a cluster that was, but my Dr told me NO lifting for 2 months as the reoccurance rate for hammys was high without strict adherence so this is 100% truth 

thats what you get for being such a good guy!

2 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

good god you'd think anybody trying to do 300lbs without a spotter would have the safety bars properly positioned.  as you said, that's also how other people get hurt.  i saw a guy a few years ago try and put up 305 with three 45s on each side and when he couldn't do the rep he start tilting the bar so that the plates rolled off.  he's lucky he didn't smash some poor person's foot.  just irresponsible.  can't stand people like that at the gym.

17 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

good god you'd think anybody trying to do 300lbs without a spotter would have the safety bars properly positioned.  as you said, that's also how other people get hurt.  i saw a guy a few years ago try and put up 305 with three 45s on each side and when he couldn't do the rep he start tilting the bar so that the plates rolled off.  he's lucky he didn't smash some poor person's foot.  just irresponsible.  can't stand people like that at the gym.

I never see safety bars on bench presses tbh

5 minutes ago, nathanbusch said:

Safe

True, and if you are so fatigued that the bar is literally stuck on your chest, the safety bars aren't helping you at that point

what? if you're using proper form you can easily position the safety bars so that worse case you don't have the weight crushing you and you can call for help.  it's really not that complicated.  either take the time to position the bars before you start or you know, use a spotter and failing that don't try and fucking max out or squeeze out that last rep.

best advice i ever got in the gym (and I've been in them for 20 years constantly) was from a former pro bodybuilder, he said "safety first, because if you're not safe you're not gonna be doing jack shit injured on your couch". And in the case of using retaining clips and the safety bars not only are you a danger to yourself you're also a danger to others.  

there's a lot of dumb macho shit in gyms, seems to be getting worse honestly with the amount of newbies that think they are some crazy olympic lifter.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

28 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Ive been in the gym biz since 1988 and I gotta say that sometimes having the collars on a barbell can be the worst thing. I can attest its a sicking feeling to be stuck under a heavy load and no one around to help

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

what? if you're using proper form you can easily position the safety bars so that worse case you don't have the weight crushing you and you can call for help.  it's really not that complicated.  either take the time to position the bars before you start or you know, use a spotter and failing that don't try and fucking max out or squeeze out that last rep.

best advice i ever got in the gym (and I've been in them for 20 years constantly) was from a former pro bodybuilder, he said "safety first, because if you're not safe you're not gonna be doing jack shit injured on your couch". And in the case of using retaining clips and the safety bars not only are you a danger to yourself you're also a danger to others.  

there's a lot of dumb macho shit in gyms, seems to be getting worse honestly with the amount of newbies that think they are some crazy olympic lifter.

22+ years here, and none of the benches that my gym's have ever had, have had adjustable safety bars for any of their fixed bench stations

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Good point, at my age of 61 I use strictly dumbells instead of barbells for bench, even those can have not so good end result

12 minutes ago, nathanbusch said:

22+ years here, and none of the benches that my gym's have ever had, have had adjustable safety bars for any of their fixed bench stations

that's insane.  the last time I saw shit like that as the default was at the old Sunset Park gym in NYC.  It's fine when spotters were common but these days in every modern gym spotters are rare and the safety bars are standard.  Current gym I'm at is a great combo the new (and often better) style training methods of kettle bells, free weights, weighted balls and pully machines, mixed with tried and true Olympic style setups.  Best of both worlds.  Part of it is just getting older.  Now that I'm over 35 every time I do a rep near max I'm thinking "oh boy this is the rep I tear something".  Kinda is what it is.  I look at the 20 year olds with envy now and remember being 20 and looking at the middle aged guys with pity.  fml.

Edited by chitownsportsfan