Madrigal goes on 60 day DL, Hamstring tear: Goodwin recalled

2Deep

12 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

what? if you're using proper form you can easily position the safety bars so that worse case you don't have the weight crushing you and you can call for help.  it's really not that complicated.  either take the time to position the bars before you start or you know, use a spotter and failing that don't try and fucking max out or squeeze out that last rep.

best advice i ever got in the gym (and I've been in them for 20 years constantly) was from a former pro bodybuilder, he said "safety first, because if you're not safe you're not gonna be doing jack shit injured on your couch". And in the case of using retaining clips and the safety bars not only are you a danger to yourself you're also a danger to others.  

there's a lot of dumb macho shit in gyms, seems to be getting worse honestly with the amount of newbies that think they are some crazy olympic lifter.

Yeah, you should be able to position it so you can slide down the bench with the bar resting on safety bars above your upper chest/neck. I always have them set a little higher myself because my physiology and shoulder injury history keeps me from going all the way to touching the bar to my chest anyway.  (Yeah, that's right I'm "cheating" - another macho gym-ism I don't care about anymore).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jose Abreu said:

Ketel Marte is a 7 fWAR player (in 2019) currently with a >.400 OBP on a bargain contract for another 3.5 years. I see him as a more positionally versatile Moncada with a bit more home run power, which probably makes him a top 6-10 position player in the game. Maybe I'm just crazy, but combining that with his contract, I can't see any trade for him that doesn't include two of Kopech, Vaughn, and Crochet, plus a bunch of the other guys you mentioned. He's a superstar

Ketel Marte is a really good player, but he's not a top 10 player in the game.  C'mon. 

He's had a nice 21 to date, but let's not get carried away with a 100 PA sample.  He was amazing in 2019...no doubt about it.

I also don't think the sox have what it takes to get Marte without subtracting from the active roster (which I don't see them doing) and have said as much in this thread today.  

Just now, 35thstreetswarm said:

Yeah, you should be able to position it so you can slide down the bench with the bar resting on safety bars above your upper chest/neck. I always have them set a little higher myself because my physiology and shoulder injury history keeps me from going all the way to touching the bar to my chest anyway.  (Yeah, that's right I'm "cheating" - another macho gym-ism I don't care about anymore).

another good gym aphorism: there are a lot of right ways to lift, but there is always one wrong way.

3 hours ago, runtheballdown said:

The Sox are built on pitching. As long as they don’t lose any pitchers they will be ok. 

No. The Sox were built on putting together a video game worthy starting lineup with absolutely no depth. The pitching has been a blessing. 

But I know what you’re saying. 

4 minutes ago, Sox72 said:

No. The Sox were built on putting together a video game worthy starting lineup with absolutely no depth. The pitching has been a blessing. 

Idk the Sox have to have some depth…

13 games over and still 5th in runs scored in all of baseball with arguably our two best hitters out and TA missing some time as well.

The role players have def played a role in getting us 13 games over.

Edited by Nick_Schwam

1 minute ago, Sox72 said:

Yeah, we now know that the Sox were a couple of devastating injuries away from...first place in the division.  I think this season has showed us that a video game-worthy lineup is its own type of depth.

And I'm not sure what the difference is between starting pitching being good and being a "blessing," but I think I'll take either one.

12 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

probably getting a few opinions and coming up with a timetable for his return? im expecting the absolute worst (season)

I was expecting news around 3p, and now share your concern that bad news is coming.  No lineups or updates yet feels too similar to the Robert hammer coming down.

Edited by Tnetennba

8 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

probably getting a few opinions and coming up with a timetable for his return? im expecting the absolute worst (season)

this shit isn't that hard most of the time.  they know as soon as they do their diag tests what they suspect it is and then as soon as they see the MRI or other images they almost always know the rest.  the Sox are just really bad at communicating with their fans whether it's injury news or ticket news or rain delay news.

6 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I was expecting news around 3p, and now share your concern that bad news is coming.  No lineups or updates yet too feel similar to the Robert hammer coming down.

Actually, the bad news on Jimenez and Robert was announced earlier in the day than this......Just trying to hold out for some optimism.

Edited by Soxsi75

2 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

Actually, the bad news on Jimenez and Robert were announced earlier in the day than this......Just trying to hold out for some optimism.

Yeah typically there’s not a big press conference if it’s a typical injury

3 minutes ago, Soxsi75 said:

Actually, the bad news on Jimenez and Robert was announced earlier in the day than this......Just trying to hold out for some optimism.

There were rumors about the severity of Robert's injury earlier in the day, but no official word from the team until later in the afternoon.

4 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

There were rumors about the severity of Robert's injury earlier in the day, but no official word from the team until later in the afternoon.

Exactly. In this case, we've heard absolutely nothing. 

Edited by Soxsi75