Madrigal goes on 60 day DL, Hamstring tear: Goodwin recalled

2Deep

15 minutes ago, WookiesOnRitalin said:

Proof will be in the pudding. If they have a full offseason with normal activity and injury rates drop, then you'll have your conclusion. 

If they do not, then the only thing that is really different is the prevalence of vaccination among players. 

So what you're saying the vaccine is causing players to get injured more. Very interesting.

2 hours ago, ron883 said:

So what you're saying the vaccine is causing players to get injured more. Very interesting.

Rizzo is going to get hurt now...just to disprove this. Errr...hasn’t he already missed time this year.

Maybe the vaccine caused Bryant to regain his MVP form, or Moncada as well?

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Velocity is the primary cause of elbow injuries. Research shows this. Not so much for shoulder injuries. 

The almost double the rate of injuries is not just pitchers, it's a huge increase in position players. It is a big issue as it is a huge increase especially if it's an outlier. This would add credence to the time off from baseball activities could be a cause we have never really considered.  Not to say that it is but it brings up the new ideas to consider.

It is definitely not normal to have this huge increase in injury rate from one year to the next. The lack of baseball specific activity may not be the cause but it certainly needs to be investgated.

There was a solid article by Peter Gammons in The Athletic (started typing The National, showing my age - RIP Frank Deford).

https://theathletic.com/2612663/2021/05/27/gammons-the-injury-epidemic-is-robbing-baseball-of-its-stars-and-its-causes-run-deep/

Hitters: Violent explosion in swing and extreme launch angles (Oblique)

Pitchers: Forearm issues often stem from overexertion, the effort for velocity. Curveballs, changeups...they don't have the same strain. Mike Reinhold, injury consultant with the White Sox.

All ballplayers: Year round baseball only activities athletically regressive and dangerous.

“What’s happening is that these kids go to showcase tournaments—any kind of showcases—and when you read about them it’s all about who threw the hardest,” says an American League general manager. “When they get into professional baseball, they’ve never learned command or touch or feel, only to launch rockets. That means they have trouble throwing strikes, their innings are limited, and in today’s game of a half-dozen relievers a game that often means one inning. There’s no learning process in an inning. There are no in-between bullpen sessions.”

3 hours ago, WookiesOnRitalin said:

Proof will be in the pudding. If they have a full offseason with normal activity and injury rates drop, then you'll have your conclusion. 

If they do not, then the only thing that is really different is the prevalence of vaccination among players. 

The proof will be in the pudding as you say to see how the injury rates change not only next year but also through the rest of the year.

However I have seen no research at all linking vaccines and injuries so that is far down the list of possible reasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

There was a solid article by Peter Gammons in The Athletic (started typing The National, showing my age - RIP Frank Deford).

https://theathletic.com/2612663/2021/05/27/gammons-the-injury-epidemic-is-robbing-baseball-of-its-stars-and-its-causes-run-deep/

Pitchers: Forearm issues often stem from overexertion, the effort for velocity. Curveballs, changeups...they don't have the same strain. Mike Reinhold, injury consultant with the White Sox.

All ballplayers: Year round baseball only activities athletically regressive and dangerous.

That was a well researched article. He is right on all accounts. Pitchers and velocities show elbow issues. Baseball only activities when young show an increased chance of injury.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, ptatc said:

The proof will be in the pudding as you say to see how the injury rates change not only next year but also through the rest of the year.

However I have seen no research at all linking vaccines and injuries so that is far down the list of possible reasons.

11 hours ago, ron883 said:

The last part was a jest meaning that if you account for all the other variables you are only left with the improbable. 

We are trying to explain an uptick (mind you a minor one) in injury presentation. Alas, no one has any real good idea why it might be happening. 

I do not believe the vaccines are causing more injuries. That seems rather silly. 

8 minutes ago, WookiesOnRitalin said:

The last part was a jest meaning that if you account for all the other variables you are only left with the improbable. 

We are trying to explain an uptick (mind you a minor one) in injury presentation. Alas, no one has any real good idea why it might be happening. 

I do not believe the vaccines are causing more injuries. That seems rather silly. 

Got it. I still think you are undervaluing a nearly double injury rate by calling it minor. It the largest baseball has ever seen at this point in the season. I don't think it is by chance. 

You are correct that we don't know why that is why it needs to be investigated. Purely my opinion and others I've talked to that the relative decrease in baseball activities could be a factor. It makes physiologic sense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

Got it. I still think you are undervaluing a nearly double injury rate by calling it minor. It the largest baseball has ever seen at this point in the season. I don't think it is by chance. 

You are correct that we don't know why that is why it needs to be investigated. Purely my opinion and others I've talked to that the relative decrease in baseball activities could be a factor. It makes physiologic sense.

Any chance 2020's weird schedule could be having an effect?

13 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The GM can complain about it, but the same guys he is complaining about are the ones he is giving 7 figure signing bonuses. The guys who learn how to pitch but don't throw as hard are lucky to get $10k.

I obviously have zero clue what was actually happening but with the cut-off in interactions between staff I just figured players may have been bored and really over compensated in lifting this offseason. I did think it was interesting that instead of march being UCL season, it seemed surprisingly healthy maybe from lack of use, but it's caught up since then (anecdotally it's felt that way). 

5 hours ago, ptatc said:

Could be, but what if the injury rate sustains itself continuing forward? It could just be an abnormality (which I think is more likely). Occasionally you get spikes certain years and dips in others. In general, I feel that the injuries are climbing across all sports. If anything, the drive to enhance human performance (bigger, faster, stronger) has had a consequential correlation of increase in injury prevalence. That's why I just accept that it's now just the cost of doing business. If you want to be a professional athlete, it's risky, that's why it usually comes with a good health plan and decent pay. 

50 minutes ago, WookiesOnRitalin said:

Could be, but what if the injury rate sustains itself continuing forward? It could just be an abnormality (which I think is more likely). Occasionally you get spikes certain years and dips in others. In general, I feel that the injuries are climbing across all sports. If anything, the drive to enhance human performance (bigger, faster, stronger) has had a consequential correlation of increase in injury prevalence. That's why I just accept that it's now just the cost of doing business. If you want to be a professional athlete, it's risky, that's why it usually comes with a good health plan and decent pay. 

Ozzie said on a recent pre or post game that fat guys get injured less. :D