Madrigal goes on 60 day DL, Hamstring tear: Goodwin recalled

2Deep

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Ouch. This means it's the common origin of all the hamstrings it's a tougher rehab than Engle. Explains the conservative nature of going straight to the 60 day IL 

If it requires surgery, is that very bad?

47 minutes ago, fathom said:

Long term implications and are these injuries possible a result of bad strength training techniques they’re receiving?

Definitely need to add more dynamic flexibility activities.

• Thanks 1

Going forward, after everyone is healthy, the only hole in this team's roster of position players is RF. Therefore, a rental makes the most sense to me. Given the Diamondbacks' position and the existing relationship with La Russa, my guess is that Escobar would be a realistic acquisition. He's in the final year of a 3 year contract, and is owed the balance of his $7.5 million dollar 2021 salary. It probably would not take any top prospects to acquire him. He could provide power from both sides of the plate, as well as solid defense at 2ND base. That's my hunch.

28 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Well he is out 2 months at the very least.  He is supposed to be indisposed at least 6 weeks, to start with.  I think August is probably off of the menu for sure.  Would be shocked to see him again this year.

September is probably the absolute best case, if they don't do surgery.

You want to know what's crazy? 

while no guarantee, I think there's still a possibility that the Sox make the playoffs even without Rodon/Lynn, with Kopech sliding into the rotation. 

I don't think they're winning the WS anyway this year so I don't understand the outrage. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, mqr said:

Probably the pirates. He’s gonna be a hot commodity

I don't agree, middle infielders that are going to be hitting the FA market are a rare abundance this off season; Story will def be moved at the deadline and if the cubs fall out you can expect Baez as well, not to mention Jonathan Schoop. Lets just hope TLR isn't a fucking moron like Ventura, in saying that they have all they need internally. 

13 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They're idiots. A smart FO would totally punt this season. 

I don't believe you actually believe these things. I think people use this board for different reasons, and that you have a tendency to use the board in a very particular way. Ask yourself if it's fair to everyone else here -- especially right now -- for you to use it in the way you do.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

22 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It depends on whether or not you think this team can win the WS. I don't. There's no guarantee that Robert and Jimenez return this year. 

They will return. How effective they are without playing for months is a different story.

2 minutes ago, beautox said:

I don't agree, middle infielders that are going to be hitting the FA market are a rare abundance this off season; Story will def be moved at the deadline and if the cubs fall out you can expect Baez as well, not to mention Jonathan Schoop. Lets just hope TLR isn't a fucking moron like Ventura, in saying that they have all they need internally. 

This is like Thibs always saying "we have enough pieces to win". It shows confidence in your players. You say that publically whether you believe it or not. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ron883 said:

It's possible Mendick puts up a .700 OPS with better defense than Madrigal. You never know honestly. 

Mendick has had favorable matchups recently and done almost nothing at the plate. Maybe it gets better with more consistent playing time, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Edited by chw42

This is a killer, especially when considering the cumulative effect.  But I still think our ultimate success hinges on a successful return of Eloy and Robert. The timeline on that hasn't changed. If those guys return our lineup is absolutely loaded with or without Madrigal.