Trade Targets in response to Madrigal’s injury

I was of the opinion that the Sox needed to add reinforcements even before Madrigal got hurt, but they definitely need to now. An outfielder, a right handed set up man, and potentially a 2nd baseman (if Madrigal is out for awhile) are obvious areas of need. Who do you think the Sox should trade for and who would you give up for them?

I'm fine with using Mendick and Leury to cover the infield while Nick is injured. Starling Matte would obviously be great, but he won't be coming cheap. 

Edit: I see Marte has missed a good chunk of time this year. Maybe he won't be too costly. 

Edited by ron883

4 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I was of the opinion that the Sox needed to add reinforcements even before Madrigal got hurt, but they definitely need to now. An outfielder, a right handed set up man, and potentially a 2nd baseman (if Madrigal is out for awhile) are obvious areas of need. Who do you think the Sox should trade for and who would you give up for them?

Adam Frazier. He can play 2B and outfield, has a year of control so he can be the RF next year, and a left-handed bat. No idea on the cost.

Edited by manbearpuig
  • Like 4

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/06/starling-marte-trade-rumors-no-extension-marlins.html

Marte is owed about 7.5m more this season. The Marlins would love the get that eaten up in a trade I'm sure. He's been extremely productive, though. They can give him the QO, which would surely result in a pick if he declines. However, they estimate the QO to be 19m~, which the cheap Marlins would not like. 

Marte would be a perfect fit for the team. Health is obviously a concern. I wonder what he will cost at the deadline. 

31 minutes ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

They won't do anything other than bring in reinforcements from the minors.  This is still Jerry's team.

Unless they are eating money for negligible prospects, just sit at this point.  As Hahn said “My team is on the floor”. 

Not sure when they projected full capacity in their budget, but hopefully Hahn will at least have some flexibility to pick up at least 1-2 RHPs at the deadline.

Was devastating last year with the solid team but clear holes at SP plus the two complete garbage acquisitions (Parrot and Mazara) that Jarrod Dyson was Jerry’s huge trade deadline expenditure, 30 days at minimum salary. Probably wanted Ricky to fail at that point, since he knew he was bringing in his BFF Tony.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Unless they are eating money for negligible prospects, just sit at this point.  As Hahn said “My team is on the floor”. 

Not sure when they projected full capacity in their budget, but hopefully Hahn will at least have some flexibility to pick up at least 1-2 RHPs at the deadline.

Was devastating last year with the solid team but clear holes at SP plus the two complete garbage acquisitions (Parrot and Mazara) that Jarrod Dyson was Jerry’s huge trade deadline expenditure, 30 days at minimum salary. Probably wanted Ricky to fail at that point, since he knew he was bringing in his BFF Tony.

I know you have loosened your TLR tinfoil hat because the Sox are winning, but thinking the Sox FO wanted to lose last year because Tony was coming is one of your laziest and tired analysis in quite a while 

• Thanks 1

It's Marte if you really want to go for it or Frazier if you want to go for best fit that wont break the prospects. It will be an overpay...but with the Yankees scuffling a bit and TB really the only threat....you have to go for it this season with the way the Starting pitching is going. I don't care if it costs Crochet +. This season is realistically the best chance, especially if Cole is a guaranteed ball doctoring doofus. 

Edited by EloyJenkins

Just collecting some thoughts:

2b:

Adam Frazier

Ketel Marte

Eduardo Escobar

Cesar Hernandez

Thoughts: I have not seen any rumors that Ketel Marte is even on the trading block. Regardless, the White Sox have almost NOTHING of interest to the Diamondbacks in a ketel trade. This is a fantasy (an amazing one). Eduardo Escobar and Adam Frazier are both intriguing, but could be somewhat sought after. I think if Madrigal is indeed down for a while, you definitely make a trade for either of them. 

OF: 

Ketel Marte (double)

Joey Gallo

Charlie Blackmon

Starlin Marte

Mitch Haniger

Thoughts: This is where it gets really interesting IMO. Blackmon should be had for basically nothing. The only reason he isn't a White Sock right now is $$$ and how lame this teams ownership is. Rockies should be willing to give Blackmon up for just about anything. Starlin Marte is IMO the best of the bunch. He should also be cheap, but if enough competition comes out and he keeps raking, his cost could go up which leads me to think that the Marlins are holding out on any trade here until the deadline. IMO, that would be too late for the CWS. Joey Gallo's ship has sailed. Padres have interest in Gallo and there's nothing the White Sox can do to compete with their deals/farm. Haniger is another interesting piece, but I have to admit that I have no interest in him. 

RP

Rasiel Iglesais

Richard Rodriguez

Diamondbacks

-RHP Joakim Sora

-INF Eduardo Escobar

-INF Asdrubal Cabrera

-OF David Perlata

Orioles

-RHP Cole Sulser

-INF Freddy Galvis

-OF Anthony Santander

Rangers

-INF Brock Holt

-OF Joey Gallo

Pirates

-RHP Kyle Crick

-RHP Chris Stratton

-INF/OF Adam Frazier

-OF Bryan Reynolds

Rockies

-RHP Daniel Bard

-RHP Mychal Givens

-INF Ryan McMahon

Tigers

-2B Jonathan Schoop

-OF Robbie Grossman

Marlins

-RHP Dylan Floro

-OF Starling Marte

Nationals

-RHP Daniel Hudson

That's the bottom 8 teams (excluding Minnesota). Washington currently has the 22nd best record at 25-33. Phili is 21st at 29-31. So obviously there will be more sellers over the next 6-7 weeks. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Just collecting some thoughts:

2b:

Adam Frazier

Ketel Marte

Eduardo Escobar

Cesar Hernandez

Thoughts: I have not seen any rumors that Ketel Marte is even on the trading block. Regardless, the White Sox have almost NOTHING of interest to the Diamondbacks in a ketel trade. This is a fantasy (an amazing one). Eduardo Escobar and Adam Frazier are both intriguing, but could be somewhat sought after. I think if Madrigal is indeed down for a while, you definitely make a trade for either of them. 

OF: 

Ketel Marte (double)

Joey Gallo

Charlie Blackmon

Starlin Marte

Mitch Haniger

Thoughts: This is where it gets really interesting IMO. Blackmon should be had for basically nothing. The only reason he isn't a White Sock right now is $$$ and how lame this teams ownership is. Rockies should be willing to give Blackmon up for just about anything. Starlin Marte is IMO the best of the bunch. He should also be cheap, but if enough competition comes out and he keeps raking, his cost could go up which leads me to think that the Marlins are holding out on any trade here until the deadline. IMO, that would be too late for the CWS. Joey Gallo's ship has sailed. Padres have interest in Gallo and there's nothing the White Sox can do to compete with their deals/farm. Haniger is another interesting piece, but I have to admit that I have no interest in him. 

RP

Rasiel Iglesais

Richard Rodriguez

I can't see the Sox going after an OF although Blackmon, Gallo and Frazier would be cool. Robert and Jimenez will likely be back in August or September. Vaughn, Engel and Eaton (ugh) are likely the guys moving forward with Mendick or Garcia filling in when the other isn't at 2B. Hamilton will be back in another few weeks too. I'll take my chances with a bullpen arm. Foster and Marshall are JAG's and Bummer has been meh so far

Edited by soxfan49

34 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

I can't see the Sox going after an OF although Blackmon, Gallo and Frazier would be cool. Robert and Jimenez will likely be back in August or September. Vaughn, Engel and Eaton (ugh) are likely the guys moving forward with Mendick or Garcia filling in when the other isn't at 2B. Hamilton will be back in another few weeks too. I'll take my chances with a bullpen arm. Foster and Marshall are JAG's and Bummer has been meh so far

Speaking of Foster. Probably time for some AAA reps for him. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Schoop kills us.  Wouldn't hate that if the return is (rightfully) close to nothing.  But that isn't a move you need to make June 10th.  

I don't think the Sox should make any moves until right up to the deadline unless a long-term target is acquired or Madrigal's injury is season ending. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I don't think the Sox should make any moves until right up to the deadline unless a long-term target is acquired or Madrigal's injury is season ending. 

I agree. Let’s see what we are working with before cashing in significant assets. 

I think of teams that are woeful and would trade to a partner now, and are willing trade partners, you'd have to circle the AZ diamondbacks as others have done.

The obvious player is obvious. Ketel Marte can play a great centerfield, can play SS and 2b.

The obvious player is expensive - even with his upcoming FA.

We are at a rough spot for acquiring position players. Not sure how sox could pull that off, but he is an absolute no brainer for getting through the year if you are someone that can isolate how much value he's probably getting back.

edit: uhhh and I had no idea he's under team control through '24 so up that price by a ...large amount.

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Has anyone been paying attention? If Madrigal is out long enough to require an addition, Yolmer part 3 will happen. He is hitting .167 in AAA with a ton of strikeouts. He won't cost anything.

Rumor has it that he even still has his nameplate and locker in the Sox clubhouse.

To date the sox have been right in being conservative in additions. So I'd get it if they did it again.

But obviously I would enjoy an upgrade, this team is too good to take chances on a few too many injuries depriving us of the post season.

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Has anyone been paying attention? If Madrigal is out long enough to require an addition, Yolmer part 3 will happen. He is hitting .167 in AAA with a ton of strikeouts. He won't cost anything.

I looked into where he is currently as well since I'm sure they would not hesitate to bring him back.