Trade Targets in response to Madrigal’s injury

9 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I can’t believe some people on here are suggesting the club trade Crochet for a 2nd baseman. Ridiculous. This injury sucks cause depth is beat up - but thankfully they have built some cushion and really need to grind into August when reinforcements should be coming. 

I am totally good getting a piece but I am not trading someone like crochet for a guy who will go back to the bench in 2 months or be a super sub. 

Well, obviously Ketel Marte is a difference maker...I guess you mean projected 1-2ish fWAR replacements.

Schoop on the Tigers would be one such example.  Jose Villar, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

42 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I know you have loosened your TLR tinfoil hat because the Sox are winning, but thinking that Jerry Reinsdorf wanted to lose last year because Tony was coming is one of your laziest and tired analysis in quite a while 

Jerry doesn’t give a rats ass about fans, their opinion, or the FO’s opinions or judgement. Otherwise, Tony would be in his wine cave and not screaming at Sox players to not hit HRs.

Dont care about you or your opinion, only respond to correct your weak, tired and inaccurate quotes.

I wonder what both sides feel about a deal around Whit Merrifield

Burger + Ruiz for Merrifield

Stiever + Schryver for Merrifield

Lambert + Burdi for Merrifield

Thompson + Horn for Merrifield

Something like that

The Sox IIRC haven't made a really significant deal (significant player for significant prospect deal) with the Royals since IIRC the Mike MacDougal deal.

Sox could look to expand it and add Soler and/or a RP. 

Niot sure I want Dayton Moore and those guys picking over our system, but thinking about it, I could see a Merrifield deal coming together.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Something like that

The Sox IIRC haven't made a really significant deal (significant player for significant prospect deal) with the Royals since IIRC the Mike MacDougal deal.

Niot sure I want Dayton Moore and those guys picking over our system, but thinking about it, I could see a Merrifield deal coming together.

Burger seems like the kind of guy that would go to Kansas City and immediately turn into a Billy Butler that would be a perpetual pain in our sides. But only if he goes to KC, if that makes sense.

8 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

Sox should wait. Given how few assets they can afford to use (both money and prospects), they need to brace for a bigger hole to open up. For example, if a starter goes down, the drop off is much more severe than from Madrigal to Mendick

They will definitely wait. Right now there really isn't any competition for the Sox. Plus the points you make about a SP going down are relevant. If the Sox can still play above .500 baseball up to the All Star break  and gain more ground on Cleveland ,just grab a decent reliever. They might be tested soon with the Rays and Astro's coming but after that they could settle in with some weak teams.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 hour ago, Chisoxfn said:

I can’t believe some people on here are suggesting the club trade Crochet for a 2nd baseman. Ridiculous. This injury sucks cause depth is beat up - but thankfully they have built some cushion and really need to grind into August when reinforcements should be coming. 

I am totally good getting a piece but I am not trading someone like crochet for a guy who will go back to the bench in 2 months or be a super sub. 

100% agree that you cannot under any circumstances trade someone important on the current roster.

57 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Something like that

If I’m KC I’m hanging up on you for wasting my time.

59 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Something like that

Royals should probably trade Merrifield. He is cheap and signed for a while but they will want the best prospect + they can get. The Sox have nothing like that. They won't take the warm bodies you are suggesting.

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Jerry doesn’t give a rats ass about fans, their opinion, or the FO’s opinions or judgement. Otherwise, Tony would be in his wine cave and not screaming at Sox players to not hit HRs.

Dont care about you or your opinion, only respond to correct your weak, tired and inaccurate quotes.

Oh boy am I crushed 

Suggesting trading those packages for Merrifield, a key player on a divisional rival to boot....embarrassing.

Let's try to be a bit more knowledgeable about his value around baseball.

This site is better than the Score, where Sox and Cubs fans put together 4-6 player packages of minor league "what if's" for players like Rafael Palmeiro or Jake Peavy.

Edited by caulfield12

25 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Suggesting trading those packages for Merrifield, a key player on a divisional rival to boot....embarrassing.

Let's try to be a bit more knowledgeable about his value around baseball.

This site is better than the Score, where Sox and Cubs fans put together 4-6 player packages of minor league "what if's" for players like Rafael Palmeiro or Jake Peavy.

LOL of course you think that.

Royals have had their fingers in their asses over Merrifield for several years now.  He's 32.  He's not a great player.  He's not really a guy you love at 2B anyway and he's certainly not anyone you love in RF.  He's just kind of meh, but he fits on a quality veteran team.  If the Royals continue to ask for great prospects for him, they will continue to get nothing for him, and eventually he will just be a bench player making too much money in the final year of his deal.  The Royals are going nowhere this year so they might as well trade him.  It's not as though moving him is going to set their rebuild back.

BTW all of those packages above I mentioned have players in it who have the potential to turn out better than he will be going forward.  Again he's not a great player.  Even a solid #4 SP or a quality DH is a better player than he is.  

Change my mind.

2 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Something like that

Zero chances on all

• Love 1

2 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

Change-My-Mind.jpg

You're right . He isn't a great player and not worth a great prospect. However he is a good player on a good contract and the Royals should continue to try and get either a top 100 prospects and lower level guys middle of the field guys that may develop into a top prospect. The last thing they want are relief pitchers and 25+ year olds.

He is also a starting player and is RH and hits lefties best. Not exactly what the Sox are looking for and the last place the Sox would make a trade is within their own division. Same probably goes for the Royals.

He is really inexpensive. If he was LH I'd love to get him. Say the Sox got him at the deadline they would probably owe around $3.5M for the rest of the year and $3M for 2022 and be done with him.

I'd say he's right up the Sox alley contract wise and is clearly better than Leury, Mendick and currently on par Madrigal but with more power.

I'd certainly inquiry about him and test the waters but it doesn't seem likely to occur.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You're right . He isn't a great player and not worth a great prospect. However he is a good player on a good contract and the Royals should continue to try and get either a top 100 prospects and lower level guys middle of the field guys that may develop into a top prospect. The last thing they want are relief pitchers and 25+ year olds.

He is also a starting player and is RH and hits lefties best. Not exactly what the Sox are looking for and the last place the Sox would make a trade is within their own division. Same probably goes for the Royals.

He is really inexpensive. If he was LH I'd love to get him. Say the Sox got him at the deadline they would probably owe around $3.5M for the rest of the year and $3M for 2022 and be done with him.

I'd say he's right up the Sox alley contract wise and is clearly better than Leury, Mendick and currently on par Madrigal but with more power.

I'd certainly inquiry about him and test the waters but it doesn't seem likely to occur.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/whit-merrifield/11281/stats?position=2B/OF

Every year, for the last FIVE CONSECUTIVE YEARS, he's graded out between 2.8-5.1 fWAR (average=3.8)

Positional versatility, good baserunning, fundamentals.

The poor man's version of Ketel Marte, or Ben Zobrist.

This year, also around a 4ish fWAR player if you extrapolate the numbers (1.4 fWAR through 60).

And a cheap/er contract.

He's worth a heckuva LOT to a number of playoff-competitive teams.

36 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/whit-merrifield/11281/stats?position=2B/OF

Every year, for the last FIVE CONSECUTIVE YEARS, he's graded out between 2.8-5.1 fWAR (average=3.8)

Positional versatility, good baserunning, fundamentals.

The poor man's version of Ketel Marte, or Ben Zobrist.

This year, also around a 4ish fWAR player if you extrapolate the numbers (1.4 fWAR through 60).

And a cheap/er contract.

He's worth a heckuva LOT to a number of playoff-competitive teams.

He's primarily a 2nd baseman who occasionally plays LF and RF. He doesn't play SS or CF. If Madrigal is out for the year he is the ideal fit. I think he would take more than the Sox would be willing to offer . I'm sure when the trade deadline comes we'll just have to see how serious Jerry is about winning a World Series this year.

When Eloy and Robert return he would be great insurance in case they are slow to recover their batting eyes or if Madrigal needs surgery and is lost for the year.

The Sox have a month and a half to figure out any moves they need to make but the holes are mounting among our starting position players and the bullpen. Plus you have to realize that Rodon, Kopech and Crochet and our starting pitching could hit a wall like many other teams and the offense may have to perform better.

This year is a war of attrition and the teams willing to cover for injuries and fatigue might just have the best chance.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

45 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

Freddy Galvis would be a cheap addition that would add depth up the middle. Bryan Reynolds would be a great add, but the cost would be huge and who knows if Pit is willing to deal him. Adam Frazier is an obvious pick for good reason. Ketel Marte is a great, but likely a pipe dream. 

one of my least favorite players in baseball.