Trade Targets in response to Madrigal’s injury

Go get Eduardo Escobar.  Plays a good 2B and helps address the power problem we currently face.  Historically he’s hit RHP well, although this year his numbers are down a bit.  I’ll attribute that to a small sample size as none of his core metrics look that far off career norms. And he shouldn’t be that costly to acquire, which helps depending what else we want to do at the deadline.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

Fangraphs has Ryan McMahon as a much better defender...and Frazier’s going to be a lot more expensive in terms of talent/return expected.

Left-handed hitter with two more years of control after 2021.

Only 2.0 combined fWAR last three years...so not nearly as costly as names like Marte, Haniger, Gallo, etc.

E.Escobar would be fine as well.   Merrifield will be held out for way too much to give away to divisional rival...

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Go get Eduardo Escobar.  Plays a good 2B and helps address the power problem we currently face.  Historically he’s hit RHP well, although this year his numbers are down a bit.  I’ll attribute that to a small sample size as none of his core metrics look that far off career norms. And he shouldn’t be that costly to acquire, which helps depending what else we want to do at the deadline.

I agree, as this is exactly what I've been suggesting. All this talk about getting someone with more years of control, make little sense to me. Madrigal will be back next year, at the latest, and he is our second baseman, going forward. Despite all of the negative comments about a rental, that seems to be precisely what the Sox need. Moreover, a rental should be much less costly. 

• Like 1

I've actually been thinking personally that Eduardo Escobar makes a lot of sense for a long time, well before the Madrigal injury.  Now it seems almost inevitable.

I wonder if the DBacks would do something like Sheets / Adolfo / Rutherford plus a marginal RP prospect?  I'm not sure they'll get an offer much better than that for Eduardo anyway.

I wouldn't give them Lambert, Stiever, or Burger from Charlotte.  Burdi might be doable but because the stuff is there I would rather hang on to him and give up someone else a little further away.  Burdi could still be MLB depth this season with some improvement.

1 hour ago, YourWhatHurts said:

What good RPs and/or spot starters do the DBacks have that could be packaged in an Eduardo Escobar deal?  That might make a lot of sense.

I’m not sure they have a RP I’d target, but they might throw in Kole Calhoun for nothing.  He’s currently hurt but should be ready to go near the end of the month and would provide a LH bat and some insurance in both RF & DH.

53 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m not sure they have a RP I’d target, but they might throw in Kole Calhoun for nothing.  He’s currently hurt but should be ready to go near the end of the month and would provide a LH bat and some insurance in both RF & DH.

Do they have a reason to give ABs to Rutherford?  He's our version of the Brewers Ryan Cordell IMO.  Also Adolfo has to be on the club next year or else pass through waivers so they can have him too.  And I am thinking we should probably sell high on Gavin Sheets.

A couple vets like that for a couple of marginal roster crunch guys who are ready for a shot in MLB or near it is a pretty good deal for us all things considered.

8 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

The current 3B can

Yea I’d rather move a young guy like Burger off his position rather than one of the best defensive mlb third basemen.

That said, it’s a totally dumb idea that might just be worth a try.

I think adding to the bullpen should be the first order of business. Take pressure off the rotation and lock down games. Mendick and Leury should be passable at 2nd. I would like to add an OFer like Goodwin (who played well in the past but the Sox need someone doing well this year) who could give the offense a boost and play multiple spots. For now, the Sox should give Engel a chance to take charge of CF and see if one of Robert or Eloy will be able to come back.