Dickman: That's Danny Mendick

chitownsportsfan

15 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He'll be an everyday guy from here on out, probably deserves a thread.

Former 22nd rounder, tools aren't that loud, but doesn't seem to have much of a weakness and is in his baseball prime at 27. He doesn't do a lot wrong.  Takes big cuts, has a good upper cut swing for the most part, and has a strong arm and decent range up the middle.  You'd like more contact and maybe a few more walks but in today's MLB hitting 270 isn't exactly mediocre, in fact it might be solidly above average. Again, doesn't do a lot to hurt you as a 2B.

ZIPS ROS is insanely bullish on him, basically thinks he's a 3 WAR player and will be worth 1.2 over the rest of the season.  Not a Rick Hahn thread but take a bow man, whatever process lead to Danny as the 30th is some vidya game dynasty shit.  I don't really see a lot to be down about with Danny.  He just fucks, as I've said.  He is a guy that fucks.  Happy for him he's developed into a solid option and a guy that can fill in and keep this winning season going even as a backup now pressed into full time.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/white-sox/ct-white-sox-danny-mendick-20190907-txaxjys5wzdgtp64jxlzq5awbq-story.html

6 hours ago, bmags said:

Just remember when we were paying millions for the likes of Emilio bonifacio because we couldn’t produce a mendick.

We have done a great job of turning late round picks into usable players in recent years .  Mendick, Engel, Foster etc are probably 10 million worth of players on the open market.  

• Like 3

That play on Schoops ground shot sealed an important victory that kept this team on a roll.  LaRussa, Hahn and KW won't forget that.

Sox fans will never forget  Juan Uribe running down a foul ball hit in the first few row of the stands  and  then charging a grounder and throwing a laser to Konerko to seal the World Series championship.  You need key plays by winning players  to win championships.  Mendick hasn't done that yet but we can see that he is a grinder and a gamer. Today he dodged a ball hit at him while he was taking a lead from second, then picked himself up and still scored. Yesterday he had a great slide at home for a key run.  Eventually, those plays add up and mean something  that is beyond  sabermetrics.

Edited by tray
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 8:06 PM, tray said:

That play on Schoops ground shot sealed an important victory that kept this team on a roll.  LaRussa, Hahn and KW won't forget that.

Sox fans will never forget  Juan Uribe running down a foul ball hit in the first few row of the stands  and  then charging a grounder and throwing a laser to Konerko to seal the World Series championship.  You need key plays by winning players  to win championships.  Mendick hasn't done that yet but we can see that he is a grinder and a gamer. Today he dodged a ball hit at him while he was taking a lead from second, then picked himself up and still scored. Yesterday he had a great slide at home for a key run.  Eventually, those plays add up and mean something  that is beyond  sabermetrics.

Turned a very nice unassisted DP and got a hit tonight when our 3 through 7 batters and our other RHH's looked like dog shit.

On 6/12/2021 at 9:28 AM, bmags said:

Just remember when we were paying millions for the likes of Emilio bonifacio because we couldn’t produce a mendick.

This team had to Emilio before they could Mendick

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Texsox said:

I’m just enjoying the ride and ignoring the rain. There will be plenty of time later to figure out why this franchise sucks, the players are horrible, . . .

I don't think he'll hit for as much as Madrigal but defensively he's nails.  Probably the best defensive 2B the Sox have had since, god, I don't even know.

• Thanks 1

On 6/12/2021 at 6:41 AM, BamaDoc said:

I worry about bench guys being overexposed with prolonged playing time.  there was a reason guys were backups.  The injury issues also show up where Grandal and Eaton have played hurt when a IL stint might have helped them individually but the team is so banged up they couldn't take the time off.  Now you are getting bigger drop offs to the new backups so starters at risk for not getting rest.  Our pitching has been the key to keeping us in every game even when lineups look weaker.  We really need our starting pitching to hold up.  Our minor league starting pitching needs to step up.  Lopez looks lost, Stiever, Lambert etc need to get rolling.  All our next wave of pitching youngsters at A are really struggling.

It's more important than ever now to mix and match. Like against Tampa Bay in the first game TLR should've been mixing and matching, Meadows is RH and their BP is all RH except for 1 guy. I don't care about personal opinions about Collins or Lamb. When the Sox can face a RHP they need to be in even over Mercedes and Vaughn

I still see so many here saying Vaughn has to play every day. No he doesn't, he has proven he hit's LHP at this point in his career. His numbers are putrid against RHP. Terrible, disgusting even. If you truly want to win games, just as you don't want other bad hitting players in the game you shouldn't want Vaughn in the game either against RHP. Vaughn isn't good enough defensively or fast enough to justify a spot in the lineup against RHP. He doesn't bring a damn thing to the table. Hamilton is more valuable against RHP than Vaughn is. Open your eyes and stop blindly supporting Vaughn. He may become a very good player but it isn't now.

Btw way Bama Doc this isn't directed at you maybe except for the 1st paragraph. You are one of my favorite posters.

• Haha 1

No offense taken.  I agree with most of what you state.  To a large degree, and this will be unpopular to the antiTony crowd, I think LaRussa has done a pretty good job of playing matchups.  Some of the reasons backups have some decent numbers to invoke is because they have been put in good matchups.  I was surprised Lamb wasn't in last night.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BamaDoc said:

No offense taken.  I agree with most of what you state.  To a large degree, and this will be unpopular to the antiTony crowd, I think LaRussa has done a pretty good job of playing matchups.  Some of the reasons backups have some decent numbers to invoke is because they have been put in good matchups.  I was surprised Lamb wasn't in last night.

If our manager had any other last name fans would point to the injuries,  our record,  and demand a statue. 

• Fire 1

16 minutes ago, Texsox said:

If our manager had any other last name fans would point to the injuries,  our record,  and demand a statute. 

Any other manager w/o the baggage, probably yes.  Probably have a better record w/o all the unneeded drama too. 

Edited by Tnetennba
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2021 at 1:39 PM, Jerksticks said:

Dickman is the best nickname ever.  It fits the man too.  

Let’s just give the credit to Hawk even though it wasn’t his.  Like a parting gift to clean the slate after the Big Bertha / El Canon forceups.  

So Greyjoy is out of the question? 🌭