Has Umpiring Gotten Worse Since Replay?

Soxsi75

Personally, I think it has. It seems to me that umpires are almost using replay as a crutch in case they miss a call, even if it is done subconsciously, and therefore missing more calls. Take the plays at first base. I always thought that umpires always did a fantastic job of getting the safe/out call correct before replay. But since replay, they seem to miss many that I don't think they used to. Like that play last night at first on the wild pitch third strike in the 8th inning. It was painfully obvious the runner was out and I knew we'd get that call. ( However, I was quite confident we'd get that call at the plate in the Toronto game last week. Replay couldn't get that one right though. One of the worst calls I've ever seen. So I won't get started on that.) Anyway, it seems to me umpires are missing calls they didn't used to before replay. What does everyone else think?

Go back and watch the trike zone that Greg Maddux got back in the day. Check out the strike zone in the El Duque Marlins game where he struck out about 15 guys.

Call me crazy but I think it is better today because of technology,  but with things like the strike zone box, it is easier for a fan to notice a bad call 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 3:57 PM, southsider2k5 said:

Go back and watch the trike zone that Greg Maddux got back in the day. Check out the strike zone in the El Duque Marlins game where he struck out about 15 guys.

Call me crazy but I think it is better today because of technology,  but with things like the strike zone box, it is easier for a fan to notice a bad call 

Yeah, good points. 

On 6/12/2021 at 10:57 PM, southsider2k5 said:

Yes. There are still many missed calls but there was a fangraphs article that umpires got Significantly better since pitch fx was installed since Umps are checked against that and kinda get a report telling them which pitches they got wrong so They can work on it. 

There are still some old Umps which are pretty bad but I think overall they get like 93% or so of the calls right which is pretty amazing considering the stuff of modern pitchers. Still of course robo ump would be better as even just 5 or 6 bad pitch calls can have a big influence. 

Instant replay They are pretty good too, just 47% of calls are overturned despite teams checking video before calling for replay.