Ten relievers who could be traded, ranked

caulfield12

Surprised how many don't see the pen as a position of need.  Strongly disagree.

While we may be set up well enough for October baseball, we still need to get there.  We have a solid pen if we're holding a lead but, given Tony's tendencies, I don't think we have the right guys on the roster that can be counted on in a tie game or a game we're losing by 1-2 late.  Heuer and especially Foster are shadows of their former selves and can't be counted on.  Ruiz struggled the one time he was tried in high leverage.  Burr looks good but not sure we can definitively count on him yet.  Crochet and Bummer have both had the yips here and there, especially Bummer.  

I think getting a RH setup man, who comes in and throws strikes, is an essential pickup and allows us to move Heuer to that "late and close but trailing" role.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

Surprised how many don't see the pen as a position of need.  Strongly disagree.

While we may be set up well enough for October baseball, we still need to get there.  We have a solid pen if we're holding a lead but, given Tony's tendencies, I don't think we have the right guys on the roster that can be counted on in a tie game or a game we're losing by 1-2 late.  Heuer and especially Foster are shadows of their former selves and can't be counted on.  Ruiz struggled the one time he was tried in high leverage.  Burr looks good but not sure we can definitively count on him yet.  Crochet and Bummer have both had the yips here and there, especially Bummer.  

I think getting a RH setup man, who comes in and throws strikes, is an essential pickup and allows us to move Heuer to that "late and close but trailing" role.  

RH setup man is priority #1 or 1A IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/13/2021 at 4:16 PM, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

At full strength the Sox have Hendriks, Marshall, Heuer, Kopech, Bummer, Crochet, Fry. You get to move one starter to relief for the playoffs as your 8th reliever, so unless you think you're getting a huge upgrade over one of the names listed, it's not worth making a trade.

I'd rather go after a 2B, preferably a lefty or switch.

9th reliever*

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, zisk said:

I wonder if the Sox are thinking about Alex Colome? He's righted the ship and could help a lot. His cost would be next to nothing.

That's not a bad call based on the possibility of it happening......but I would HATE that. I just don't want to watch Alex Colome pitch for my team anymore. 

A Daniel bard and Ryan McMahon combo would possibly work. McMahon has lost playing time recently and has some position flexibility.  Bard not as good as last year but he’s a vet with set up and closing experience in big games. He also still has some contract flexibility left. They cost something but you need to give to get. 

9 minutes ago, Backwash07 said:

A Daniel bard and Ryan McMahon combo would possibly work. McMahon has lost playing time recently and has some position flexibility.  Bard not as good as last year but he’s a vet with set up and closing experience in big games. He also still has some contract flexibility left. They cost something but you need to give to get. 

More interested in just Bard based off cost