ELOY back Monday against KC

2Deep

From The Athletic's medical staff:

https://theathletic.com/2695140/2021/07/08/mlb-injury-mailbag-updates-on-luis-robert-and-eloy-jimenez-kyle-schwarbers-realistic-timeline-and-more/

He was initially slated to miss 5-6 months. While I expect a full recovery before the start of the 2022 season, Jiménez seems to be rushing his return. Not only does that pectoral tendon need time to heal following surgery, but it will then take a significant amount of time to get strength back in the chest and arms. If Jiménez returns but is much weaker than he was before the injury, he is putting himself at a very high risk of suffering a new injury. Jiménez was cleared to resume baseball activities about three weeks ago. He could return in August if his body continues to respond well to an increase in activity. My biggest concern is his ability to swing the bat at full speed without aggravating something. This will also affect his power whenever he is back in the lineup.

18 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I would somewhat disagree. 5-6 months is feasible but on the very conservative side. The tendon should be healed at 3 months. As long as he has full range, I don't see an issue with the swing as that muscle is a not primary muscle. It does need at least decent strength though.

Edited by ptatc
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I'm by no means a doctor myself, but someone trying to prognose an injury from the outside without seeing whatever was seen when they opened it up seems dubious. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mqr said:

I'm by no means a doctor myself, but someone trying to prognose an injury from the outside without seeing whatever was seen when they opened it up seems dubious. 

True, whether it is The Atlantic's staff or PTATC, medical commentators provide their best take/analysis based on prior experience and publicly known data and disclosures. (which is why I "thanked" his post).

Just posted this as additional information to consider (the same article had no concerns to date regarding Robert's recovery). Hoping the Sox medical / training team can manage this from afar conservatively, so that there are no setbacks from Eloy pushing it because he 'feels good". Still concerned he is attempting to play LF.

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The White Sox have a medical staff that has cleared Eloy for this activity. I don't think they would take a big risk with a cornerstone of their foundation. 

Yeah I'm sure this was heavily discussed and planned. No way they risk Eloy's health. 

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

True, whether it is The Atlantic's staff or PTATC, medical commentators provide their best take/analysis based on prior experience and publicly known data and disclosures. (which is why I "thanked" his post).

Just posted this as additional information to consider (the same article had no concerns to date regarding Robert's recovery). Hoping the Sox medical / training team can manage this from afar conservatively, so that there are no setbacks from Eloy pushing it because he 'feels good". Still concerned he is attempting to play LF.

Exactly. We use the available information (never the full picture from the teams) then use common healing, rehab principles and experience with same or similar injuries ( we haven't examined the athletes but again use available information) to make an educated guess as to the prognosis. 

By no means is it set it stone but more for education and general timeframes. That article is from a group that has a algorithm for injuries based on various medical staffs for fantasy sports. they seem to have sources with teams and have additional information we may not have. Although there system always seems to have most significant injuries between 6-8 weeks. Shocking.

26 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The White Sox have a medical staff that has cleared Eloy for this activity. I don't think they would take a big risk with a cornerstone of their foundation. 

The key variable they have that no one else does is where his strength is. The healing and surgery are generalizable. How quickly he is gaining strength isn't.

3 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

He has to occasionally, even if he's not the primary LF.

He doesn’t HAVE too. But I’m sure they’ll appease him and he’ll be out there 5/7 games in LF then we’ll have this conversation again when he does something stupid out there and/or gets injured. 

Edited by ShoeLessRob
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ShoeLessRob said:

He doesn’t HAVE too. But I’m sure they’ll appease him and he’ll be out there 5/7 games in LF then we’ll have this conversation again when he does something stupid out there and/or gets injured. 

I don't even think it's him wanting to play the field I think it's more "we have a million DH types already and in the playoffs and stretch run this is where you're gonna have to play".  I'm probably one of the biggest "he can't fucking play LF safely" people here but he's just gonna have to this year, there's no other place to put him.  We just have to hope he doesn't collide with any objects hard enough to hurt himself or someone else.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I don't even think it's him wanting to play the field I think it's more "we have a million DH types already and in the playoffs and stretch run this is where you're gonna have to play".  I'm probably one of the biggest "he can't fucking play LF safely" people here but he's just gonna have to this year, there's no other place to put him.  We just have to hope he doesn't collide with any objects hard enough to hurt himself or someone else.

Yeah. He needs to watch videos from when Adam Dunn or even Manny Ramirez played LF. Manny faked it an entire career lol

Edited by manbearpuig
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, manbearpuig said:

Yeah. He needs to watch videos from when Adam Dunn or even Manny Ramirez played LF. Manny faked it an entire career lol

IKR? Manny had the monster to just play wall ball with but FFS if Manny can play a -10 run LF safely for 15 years you'd think Eloy could.  I'm not sure he can tho.  Dude is the LF version of Jim Furyk's swing:  An octopus falling out of a tree.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I don't agree with this.  All moving Eloy to left does is shift Vaughn to DH.  And at this point, there isn't a sane person who wouldn't prefer Vaughn in left and Eloy at DH, given the choice.  Are we really going to put Eloy back out in the field, where he always gets hurt, just so that Sheets and Burger can have some DH starts????

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

I don't agree with this.  All moving Eloy to left does is shift Vaughn to DH.  And at this point, there isn't a sane person who wouldn't prefer Vaughn in left and Eloy at DH, given the choice.  Are we really going to put Eloy back out in the field, where he always gets hurt, just so that Sheets and Burger can have some DH starts????

You could be correct.  I hope you are because it means everybody is relatively healthy.  Here's hoping.

I think Eloy should be the primary DH moving forward.  But I want his bat in the lineup at NL parks and in the the World Series, if we're ever lucky enough to get there.  He needs to play some LF this season and next until Abreu is gone (which likely isn't even happening after 22) and he can learn to play some 1B. 

Edited by ChiSox59

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think Eloy should be the primary DH moving forward.  But I want his bat in the lineup at NL parks and in the the World Series, if we're ever lucky enough to get there.  He needs to play some LF this season and next until Abreu is gone (which likely isn't even happening after 22) and he can learn to play some 1B. 

Yea at first he can only collide with runners of the other team,  Oh wait he could collide with the 2nd baseman and the catcher on pop ups. Ok and maybe the RFer on popups. Well Ok maybe the umpire too . Oh wait he can fall into the dugout. Wait there is netting in front of the standings too right ?

• Like 1

• Heads22 changed the title to ELOY back Monday against KC