ELOY back Monday against KC

2Deep

5 minutes ago, tray said:

Eloy's judgment? You mean a 24 year old player that wants to make every effort to bring back a a home run?  OK< it was pre-season, but that is what competitive athletes do - they compete. It could be a game of pick-up basketball in the alley, it doesn't always prevent a guy from trying to make a play. If you want to mock him for that, well go ahead.

Never forget, White Sox fans claimed Avi Garcia was a lifetime DH after he was injured diving for a ball.  Now AviG is a pretty valuable member of an NL team with no DH. I think Avi has something like 17 HR ... before today's game.  Unfortunately, the Brew crew are tougher and Rowdier  than I thought.

Consider the source. The person you quoted liked that Nick Williams was getting at bats over Vaughn earlier this season

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, tray said:

Eloy's judgment? You mean a 24 year old player that wants to make every effort to bring back a a home run?  OK< it was pre-season, but that is what competitive athletes do - they compete. It could be a game of pick-up basketball in the alley, it doesn't always prevent a guy from trying to make a play. If you want to mock him for that, well go ahead.

Never forget, White Sox fans claimed Avi Garcia was a lifetime DH after he was injured diving for a ball.  Now AviG is a pretty valuable member of an NL team with no DH. I think Avi has something like 17 HR ... before today's game.  Unfortunately, the Brew crew are tougher and Rowdier  than I thought.

Yes. Judgment is where you can correctly not hurt yourself to either make a play or even not make a play because you have no value to your team with another catastrophic injury. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yes. Judgment is where you can correctly not hurt yourself to either make a play or even not make a play because you have no value to your team with another catastrophic injury. 

Knowing the game situation matters.  If you're down, or up, 6 runs in the 7th you don't dive to stop a bases empty single from dropping in.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

My point was one is in Winston Salem and the other is in Charlotte right now, so they aren't "two friends out there together" at the moment

Wasn’t disputing their respective locations, disputing Eloy’s ability to co-exist with Robert in the outfield.

37 minutes ago, tray said:

Eloy has been crystal clear, in his words and in his actions, that he literally doesn’t give a shit rather he is injured doing stupid shit, regardless of how many years and dollars the Sox has invested in him.

Its on the team at this point if he wears a glove again. 

Field stupid players, win stupid prizes.

“If you see when I got hurt in the outfield, it was because I tried to do my best and was just playing hard. So I don’t care if I get hurt in the outfield.” 8/20/20 - 

After his third IL stay, but before his playoff ending injury last season, and before his latest injury doing stupid shit this Spring Training.

39 minutes ago, tray said:

When everybody was saying Eloy should only DH , I was saying that he will be playing LF because you cannot just DH him. So he will be getting OF time . All we can do is hope discretion can be the better part of valor. No one, including himself, want's to be on the sidelines more than he is in the lineup. Being on the field in any capacity is more valuable to the team and himself than being an invalid.

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

Consider the source. The person you quoted liked that Nick Williams was getting at bats over Vaughn earlier this season

How big of a moron can you be ? LaRussa's MO all season has been to use subs and play matchups. It wasn't doing Vaughn any good to play him so much early in the season just learning a new position and facing the best pitchers in the world. It was a huge step up for him.

God forbid he sit a few games with 145 games left in the season to have a little time to slow things down and observe while he was struggling.

Nick Williams time didn't work out. Not a big deal . That's how teams learn what they have . In the meantime other scrubs like Goodwin, Hamilton, and Lamb stepped up when people were whining about them just as much as Williams. Because you play them some exceed expectations and some don't. The fact that many of them succeeded is why the Sox are where they are now.

You can never convince me that a scrub shouldn't be playing ever. If you are on the 26 man roster you play and someone has to sit.

Maybe if Vaughn had played every day he starts hitting RHP earlier or playing him against only certain types of RHP helped him. No one can say for sure. I think the Sox handled him the right way so when you say consider the source I guess you mean consider the whole Sox brain trust because they handled him exactly the way most major league teams probably would have handled a struggling young player making such a huge leap.

Maybe Vaughn himself will some day shed some light on if he thought he was handled the right way, but for you to think it was the wrong way is very presumptuous. At least I can say it I liked how it was handled but leave open the possibility that playing every day could have worked better or turned out worse.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

How big of a moron can you be ? LaRussa's MO all season has been to use subs and play matchups. It wasn't doing Vaughn any good to play him so much early in the season just learning a new position and facing the best pitchers in the world. It was a huge step up for him.

God forbid he sit a few games with 145 games left in the season to have a little time to slow things down and observe while he was struggling.

Nick Williams time didn't work out. Not a big deal . That's how teams learn what they have . In the meantime other scrubs like Goodwin, Hamilton, and Lamb stepped up when people were whining about them just as much as Williams. Because you play them some exceed expectations and some don't. The fact that many of them succeeded is why the Sox are where they are now.

You can never convince me that a scrub shouldn't be playing ever. If you are on the 26 man roster you play and someone has to sit.

Maybe if Vaughn had played every day he starts hitting RHP earlier or playing him against only certain types of RHP helped him. No one can say for sure. I think the Sox handled him the right way so when you say consider the source I guess you mean consider the whole Sox brain trust because they handled him exactly the way most major league teams probably would have handled a struggling young player making such a huge leap.

Maybe Vaughn himself will some day shed some light on if he thought he was handled the right way, but for you to think it was the wrong way is very presumptuous. At least I can say it I liked how it was handled but leave open the possibility that playing every day could have worked better or turned out worse.

You can blame La Russa's thought process or Vaughn's inexperience if you'd like, whatever helps you sleep at night, but you and I both know that you said something to the effect of "this start for Williams makes sense." Delaying Vaughn's progress even by 4 PA's for fucking Nick Williams was never a good idea, no matter how you slice it, and since you STILL argue now that it was a good move just goes back to what I said to get wound up: "consider the source." Have a good night

Edited by soxfan49
  • Fire 2

10 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I think you gotta keep Goodwin. His defense is stellar and his bat is good enough to play.

Goodwin defense is stellar? Man, hard disagree there. He’s been really good stopgap overall, but he’s a well below average OF, especially in CF. 

• Thanks 1