ELOY back Monday against KC

2Deep

Maybe it is me,  but Vaughn has really been solid w the bat recently. I hate to see him move out of LF. When a young player is on a roll, don't upset their routine even if it is positional. Eloy can DH for a while to adjust to MLB pitching and I think AV at this point is at least equal( or plus) defensively to Eloy. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Maybe it is me,  but Vaughn has really been solid w the bat recently. I hate to see him move out of LF. When a young player is on a roll, don't upset their routine even if it is positional. Eloy can DH for a while to adjust to MLB pitching and I think AV at this point is at least equal( or plus) defensively to Eloy. 

im cant see how they would put eloy into LF right away - coming of a major injury that happened in the field.  I expect he will DH mostly for awhile.

6 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

im cant see how they would put eloy into LF right away - coming of a major injury that happened in the field.  I expect he will DH mostly for awhile.

I think they will only play Eloy in left occasionally to deep him NL useable.

10 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

Yeah I think so too. Maybe DH all this week, play LF once a week after that (moving Vaughn, Abreu, or Moncada to DH for a game), start 2 of the 3 games in LF at Wrigley.

Edited by manbearpuig

13 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

You can blame La Russa's thought process or Vaughn's inexperience if you'd like, whatever helps you sleep at night, but you and I both know that you said something to the effect of "this start for Williams makes sense." Delaying Vaughn's progress even by 4 PA's for fucking Nick Williams was never a good idea, no matter how you slice it, and since you STILL argue now that it was a good move just goes back to what I said to get wound up: "consider the source." Have a good night

Not blaming anyone. I am saying he was handled the way most MLB teams would have handled him. He might have been sent back to the minors by a lot of teams, especially teams in contention. He was kept on the 26 only for 2 reasons,  his vast potential and injuries.

I'm thrilled that he is now hitting RHP so well now. The fact that you cannot comprehend substitutes need to play in order to make future decisions about your team is mind boggling. It's also mind boggling that you cannot comprehend that the best prospects even those with with vast potential can do poorly when first called up and might have to be sat every so often and far less talented players may get playing time ahead of them. It only happens every year many times in the long history of baseball.

1 hour ago, SCCWS said:

No it's not just you. Not many really want to see Eloy out there in LF. Vaughn has been very solid in the field and on fire at the plate. He's definitely a better fielder than Eloy based on his steadiness there and over the past month he is also the best hitter on the team easily.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Not blaming anyone. I am saying he was handled the way most MLB teams would have handled him. He might have been sent back to the minors by a lot of teams, especially teams in contention. He was kept on the 26 only for 2 reasons,  his vast potential and injuries.

I'm thrilled that he is now hitting RHP so well now. The fact that you cannot comprehend substitutes need to play in order to make future decisions about your team is mind boggling. It's also mind boggling that you cannot comprehend that the best prospects even those with with vast potential can do poorly when first called up and might have to be sat every so often and far less talented players may get playing time ahead of them. It only happens every year many times in the long history of baseball.

Seems like a daily debate in Seattle these days…

Eloy should be at DH all but once or twice a week.  The occasional LF start, shift Vaughn to DH, or maybe occasionally RF just to get his feet wet there.  I don't want Eloy and Vaughn at the corners often, but it will need to happen sometimes....especially in NL parks. 

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Eloy should be at DH all but once or twice a week.  The occasional LF start, shift Vaughn to DH, or maybe occasionally RF just to get his feet wet there.  I don't want Eloy and Vaughn at the corners often, but it will need to happen sometimes....especially in NL parks. 

Agreed. The times where you would probably do both in the corners is when Grandal needs to DH. When Abreu DH's, you can at least shift Vaughn to first. Nice to have the flexibility.

13 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Goodwin defense is stellar? Man, hard disagree there. He’s been really good stopgap overall, but he’s a well below average OF, especially in CF. 

Not gonna lie, I haven't been watching too much lately. What I have watched, I've seen him make highlight catches lol. 

7 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Not gonna lie, I haven't been watching too much lately. What I have watched, I've seen him make highlight catches lol. 

He's fine in the corners, but is a a very bad centerfielder.

• Like 1

I'm fine with Goodwin as part of a Engel/Goodwin RF.

The problem is in center.  It's much harder to get good reads on the ball which is coming right at you and that extra step or two in speed really matters when going deep into the alleys from a shallow center, (like BH is able to play).

2 minutes ago, gogosox1959 said:

I'm fine with Goodwin as part of a Engel/Goodwin RF.

The problem is in center.  It's much harder to get good reads on the ball which is coming right at you and that extra step or two in speed really matters when going deep into the alleys from a shallow center, (like BH is able to play).

Agreed. Let him play against righties and hit him 9th when everyone is back (including a hopefully 2B upgrade).

10 hours ago, Moncada said:

Yeah that .200 BA and 1 rbi in the last 14 days mostly hitting cleanup.  Gotta keep that garbage in the batting order.   

Stop overreacting to cold & hot streaks.  14 days, good or bad, isn’t predictive of shit and right now we’re simply seeing regression to the mean.  Goodwin is likely a league average hitter or so and that has value given our other options.

4 hours ago, harkness99 said:

I agree. Last night's broadcast seemed to indicate he would be back in LF. Not sure who their source was whether FO or coaching staff.

40 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

We are used to seeing Hamilton Robert and Engel in CF. Not many can live up to that standard . He's now basically a corner OF who gets put in CF mainly because of his bat stil above average speed though not what it used to be.

He gets blamed for a lot of balls he doesn't catch around here that Statcast or other defensive metrics might not grade him as poorly on. You know how it goes when a guy nobody wanted comes in and looks  less than perfect. All their faults get magnified.

When Robert is back Goodwin won't be seeing too much CF any more since he will be the 4th best CF on the team defensively then. Even though he's been hitting RHP very well it will be very hard to decide who winds up getting cut among the OF's between Goodwin, Lamb and Hamilton. Engel and Leury should still be here . It's also highly unlikely any of Goodwin, Lamb or Hamilton get traded since they are all guys any teams can pick up after being DFA'd.

It just might come down to which of those guys is willing to play in the minors or go on a phantom injury list.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I agree. Last night's broadcast seemed to indicate he would be back in LF. Not sure who their source was whether FO or coaching staff.

Sox beat writer Mark Gonzalez quoted sources Tony La Russa and Daryl Boston regarding Vaughn's reduced playing time in LF, and work in RF and 3B.

https://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20210722/gonzales-andrew-vaughn-has-plenty-of-value-for-white-sox-even-when-eloy-jimenez-returns

• For Vaughn, the highly anticipated return of Eloy Jimenez will diminish Vaughn's time in left field.
  • "Right now we're talking about making sure he (fields) balls in batting practice in right field," coach Daryl Boston said.
  • "I could play him (at third) today or tomorrow," La Russa said.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Stop overreacting to cold & hot streaks.  14 days, good or bad, isn’t predictive of shit and right now we’re simply seeing regression to the mean.  Goodwin is likely a league average hitter or so and that has value given our other options.

And despite the recent cold spell he's still .384 OBP and .932 OPS against RHP in limited AB's. You might have thought with just 99 PA's against RHP the cold spell might've hurt his numbers more but he's still well above average.

5 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Sox beat writer Mark Gonzalez quoted sources Tony La Russa and Daryl Boston regarding Vaughn's reduced playing time in LF, and work in RF and 3B.

https://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20210722/gonzales-andrew-vaughn-has-plenty-of-value-for-white-sox-even-when-eloy-jimenez-returns

lol WTF is the purpose of playing him at 3B?  LF/RF/1B/DH are all perfectly suitable options. We have a very good 3B.