ELOY back Monday against KC

2Deep

Will be interesting to see today's roster move.  They do have the extra 40 man spot, so I don't think we see a DFA, but Hamilton to the IL is my guess, though I thought how little Engel has played has been weird.  I guess the other thing I will note is that the Sox tend to overplay guys right before they DFA them, so maybe Goodwin is going?

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Will be interesting to see today's roster move.  They do have the extra 40 man spot, so I don't think we see a DFA, but Hamilton to the IL is my guess, though I thought how little Engel has played has been weird.  I guess the other thing I will note is that the Sox tend to overplay guys right before they DFA them, so maybe Goodwin is going?

Don't overthink it.  Jake will go back down to get seasoning and they will hold onto Goodwin as long as they can and possibly try and trade him for something mildly useful like cash or just a 40 man spot.

• Like 1

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

Don't overthink it.  Jake will go back down to get seasoning and they will hold onto Goodwin as long as they can and possibly try and trade him for something mildly useful like cash or just a 40 man spot.

I would bet on an OF going down, out, or to the IL.  That seems straight forward.

14 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

And despite the recent cold spell he's still .384 OBP and .932 OPS against RHP in limited AB's. You might have thought with just 99 PA's against RHP the cold spell might've hurt his numbers more but he's still well above average.

And that’s very much true, but even those numbers were never sustainable.  The fact is Goodwin started off hot and is currently cooling down, but neither state reflects the run rate performance you’d expect out of him.  Goodwin should provide league average or better production vs. RHP and that’s valuable in the absence of a legit upgrade.  GMs don’t overreact to hot & cold streaks and neither should we.

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And that’s very much true, but even those numbers were never sustainable.  The fact is Goodwin started off hot and is currently cooling down, but neither state reflects the run rate performance you’d expect out of him.  Goodwin should provide league average or better production vs. RHP and that’s valuable in the absence of a legit upgrade.  GMs don’t overreact to hot & cold streaks and neither should we.

Goodwin is a solid 4th OF and is very useful against RHP.  He has some trade value imo. He's not a bad player at all.  Not a starter on a good team but he's not a scrub either.

• Haha 1

so many takes on this like:

You can't move Vaughn to RF! He's doing well in LF and he's young and don't want to mess with him moving to another position!

Or

You can't put Vaughn at 3B! we have a 3b already, what's the point?!

Meanwhile you have Vaughn already in LF which isn't his position ..... and Moncada has bounced all around the diamond before. 

I feel like as fans we underestimate that these guys can play the field relatively okay and its not a huge deal. it's not like theyre splitting the atom and while theyre AB and they're thinking about fielding RF v. LF and that it messes up their bat.

To me, you put the best 9 men out there. so if that equals Vaughn at 3b and moncada at 2b?  and engel in rf? then pull the trigger. 

9 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Goodwin is a solid 4th OF and is very useful against RHP.  He has some trade value imo. He's not a bad player at all.  Not a starter on a good team but he's not a scrub either.

The guy previously couldn't win a roster spot with the Pittsburgh Pirates for crying out loud.  He was the 6th OF with the Sox, and only because they literally lost their top 4 OFs did he get to play here.  He has no trade value at all, as all of baseball could have had him after the Pirates cut him.  He's a league average hitter over his time in MLB and has been a negative defender in all but one year he has been on a major league roster.  He's got negatives across the board in his defense metrics over his career (range, arm, errors).  Career he is a 103 OPS against RHP, so we aren't even talking about some big platoon advantage here.  It's just he doesn't suck against them.

He is the definition of a scrub. 

• Like 1

Just now, Moncada said:

So now Yoan has to play 2+ months straight lol 

That's what weird for me.  I guess maybe with all of the OFs they have, they figure Leury won't be out there often.  But that still leaves either Leury or Mendick as the only IF back up, and that is because the other one will be playing 2nd.

1 minute ago, Moncada said:

Leury has looked like hot garbage at 2B since the break (bat and field).   He needs less playing time not more.  

He is getting less playing time every time someone comes up.  It is what it is, he is the utility man 

Just now, Moncada said:

Leury has looked like hot garbage at 2B since the break (bat and field).   He needs less playing time not more.  

Um he's going to get less time as soon as the Sox trade for a 2nd baseman and he'll also get less time in the OF when Robert gets back. He also won't get hardly any time at 3rd.