ELOY back Monday against KC

2Deep

25 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Hence probably why they are having Vaughn learn 3B.

Vaughn looking better on outside pitches and sliders.

After watching him at several games from my LF section, I think he should only be 1B/DH but 😣thers have their own opinions on that.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Just like how we thought Vaughn couldn't play LF. It doesn't hurt for the guy to try and learn a position in AAA if it could help him and the team in the future.

He can barely play 3rd base, there's not any reason to believe he'll be better at 2nd. Vaughn is the exception not the rule. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BigHurt3515 said:

Just like how we thought Vaughn couldn't play LF. It doesn't hurt for the guy to try and learn a position in AAA if it could help him and the team in the future.

There is a hell of a lot more athleticism and awareness needed up the middle than there is in left.  

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And that’s very much true, but even those numbers were never sustainable.  The fact is Goodwin started off hot and is currently cooling down, but neither state reflects the run rate performance you’d expect out of him.  Goodwin should provide league average or better production vs. RHP and that’s valuable in the absence of a legit upgrade.  GMs don’t overreact to hot & cold streaks and neither should we.

The main problem with Goodwin is poor defense particularly in CF, not so much his hitting.

Edited by hankchifan

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Surprised to see Jake go, but glad to see he will get to play more often again.

Not surprised to see Jake go.  League had learnt how to pitch him with sliders and other breaking pitches, which he could not hit.  He needs to build on more discipline at the plate.

7 hours ago, SCCWS said:

Maybe it is me,  but Vaughn has really been solid w the bat recently. I hate to see him move out of LF. When a young player is on a roll, don't upset their routine even if it is positional. Eloy can DH for a while to adjust to MLB pitching and I think AV at this point is at least equal( or plus) defensively to Eloy. 

Good observation.  Let’s also avoid having Eloy run into the LF wall again.

1 hour ago, tray said:

Vaughn looking better on outside pitches and sliders.

After watching him at several games from my LF section, I think he should only be 1B/DH but 😣thers have their own opinions on that.

If Vaughn should be a 1b\DH only, Eloy should never get out of bed, let alone on a baseball field.

• Haha 1

Per ESPH Vaughn DWAR is -0.6.  Of the 13 they list only two have + DWAR.  (Only 13 are "qualified)

5 are better than Vaughn; 4 are tied with Vaughn; 3 are worse than Vaughn.  Sorting by DWAR, he and Justin Upton are tied for 6/7.

That makes Vaughn an average LF.  The defensive studs aren't playing LF.  You need to compare apples to apples.  It's not fair to compare a left fielder to a Hamilton or an Engel.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/fielding/_/position/lf/order/true

Edited by gogosox1959
added explanation of why only 13 on list

38 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If Vaughn should be a 1b\DH only, Eloy should never get out of bed, let alone on a baseball field.

No kidding, Vaughn is fine in left field.  The majority of the time Vaughn should be in left and Eloy should DH.

Defensive stats be damned. Bottom line is that Vaughn is slow at 24 years old and is not going to get any faster or taller. He has a large torso and a pretty large shoe size.. Irrelevant if he is at 1B or DH.

As far as injuries. Vaughn almost mowed down TA on two or three plays where he ran toward him with about 100 choppy steps to catch a short fly ball.

Schwarber posed a similar risk when he used to play left for the Cubs.

The question of whether Eloy is a long term solution in LF is a separate issue.  Arguing that Eloy or Vaughn is better or worse than the other at defense is a pretty lame way to justify that either one belongs out there long term. The issue that does warrant conversation is who gets to play every day, Abreu, Eloy or Vaughn once the Sox have better options in the outfield.  I'd be happy with Abreu at 1B at Eloy at DH.

Edited by tray
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, gogosox1959 said:

Per ESPH Vaughn DWAR is -0.6.  Of the 13 they list only two have + DWAR.  (Only 13 are "qualified)

5 are better than Vaughn; 4 are tied with Vaughn; 3 are worse than Vaughn.  Sorting by DWAR, he and Justin Upton are tied for 6/7.

That makes Vaughn an average LF.  The defensive studs aren't playing LF.  You need to compare apples to apples.  It's not fair to compare a left fielder to a Hamilton or an Engel.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/fielding/_/position/lf/order/true

This exactly.  Fangraphs had Vaughn right in the middle of the pack defensively as well.  There is no evidence that he "bad" out there.