ELOY back Monday against KC

2Deep

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

And there's reason to believe he will only get better, given his infancy at the position.

Definitely.  He's been a guy you don't feel bad about running out there.  He's never going to be a defensive star because of physical limitations, but he is also not going to hurt you or scare you out there.  With the bat he is going to have, league average is freaking great for the White Sox.

9 minutes ago, tray said:

Defensive stats be damned. Bottom line is that Vaughn is slow at 24 years old and is not going to get any faster or taller. He has a large torso and a pretty large shoe size.. Irrelevant if he is at 1B or DH.

As far as injuries. Vaughn almost mowed down TA on two or three plays where he ran toward him with about 100 choppy steps to catch a short fly ball.

Schwarber posed a similar risk when he used to play left for the Cubs.

The question of whether Eloy is a long term solution in LF is a separate issue.  Arguing that Eloy or Vaughn is better or worse than the other at defense is a pretty lame way to justify that either one belongs out there long term. The issue that does warrant conversation is who gets to play every day, Abreu, Eloy or Vaughn once the Sox have better options in the outfield.  I'd be happy with Abreu at 1B at Eloy at DH.

What a weird hatred for Vaughn lol making a comment the other night about how Stone was excited about Vaughn (and his over .900 OPS in July).

Edited by manbearpuig

3 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

What a weird hatred for Vaughn lol making a comment the other night about how Stone was excited about Vaughn (and his over .900 OPS in July).

He's hated Vaughn since the draft, because Vaughn is "fat", "short" and incapable of playing anywhere but first base, except when he can, but not really as long as you only ask for Tray's assessment.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

And there's reason to believe he will only get better, given his infancy at the position.

The Sox have Colas and Cespedes coming as early as next season and maybe another option in the off-season or maybe even as soon as the trade deadline. Vaughn  is like Kyle Schwarber  was 5  years ago. Like Schwarber, Vaughn is gonna box out some and gain some muscle and weight...and get older and slower. I will bet money that he is the slowest player in the line-up right now, except when Lynn is hitting in NL games. How fast does Fangraphs have Vaughn in the 40 yard dash? 

I find it interesting that some people who do not go to many games and see these players perform on the field make judgments primarily relying on stats like Fangraphs. Go out and watch a few games and trust what you see for yourself, not what Steve Stone tells you. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, tray said:

The Sox have Colas and Cespedes coming as early as next season and maybe another option in the off-season or maybe even as soon as the trade deadline. Vaughn  is like Kyle Schwarber  was 5  years ago. Like Schwarber, Vaughn is gonna box out some and gain some muscle and weight...and get older and slower. I will bet money that he is the slowest player in the line-up right now, except when Lynn is hitting in NL games. How fast does Fangraphs have Vaughn in the 40 yard dash? 

I find it interesting that some people who do not go to many games and see these players perform on the field make judgments primarily relying on stats like Fangraphs. Go out and watch a few games and trust what you see for yourself, not what Steve Stone tells you. 

Nothing suggests those guys can even hit big league pitching and you're already penciling them into the lineup? lolol

Also, in what world is Vaughn like Schwarber physically (when he first came up? lol

Edited by manbearpuig

4 minutes ago, tray said:

What?  Kyle Schwarber?  Nothing about Vaughn and Schwaber is similar.

Finally if you want to talk about the "eye test", my last eye test memory of Eloy playing LF is ripping his shoulder off in spring training because he was dumb enough to make a dangerous play on a meaningless ball in spring training, so there is that.

1 minute ago, manbearpuig said:

Nothing suggests those guys can even hit big league pitching and you're already penciling them into the lineup? lolol

That guy has been so consistency wrong about everything involving Andrew Vaughn he frankly isn't even wroth conversing with. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

That guy has been so consistency wrong about everything involving Andrew Vaughn he frankly isn't even wroth conversing with. 

I honestly have him blocked but unfortunately when other people respond to him, I see the messages stupidity of the comments he posts and it makes me comment back lol

Edited by manbearpuig

But seriously, everyone here has seen Vaughn play defense.  No one is solely relying on fangraphs to judge his defense though it’s always nice when stats back up your eyes.  The fact is, even people that wanted nothing to do with him playing lf(myself included) will tell you he’s been much better out there than expected and he’s absolutely serviceable out there in his first year ever playing the position.  You’re being stubborn just to be stubborn.

• Like 1
  • Fire 4

4 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

I honestly have him blocked but unfortunately when other people respond to him, I see the messages stupidity of the comments he posts and it makes me comment back lol

Exercise some restraint man!  

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, tray said:

Defensive stats be damned. Bottom line is that Vaughn is slow at 24 years old and is not going to get any faster or taller. He has a large torso and a pretty large shoe size.. Irrelevant if he is at 1B or DH.

As far as injuries. Vaughn almost mowed down TA on two or three plays where he ran toward him with about 100 choppy steps to catch a short fly ball.

Schwarber posed a similar risk when he used to play left for the Cubs.

The question of whether Eloy is a long term solution in LF is a separate issue.  Arguing that Eloy or Vaughn is better or worse than the other at defense is a pretty lame way to justify that either one belongs out there long term. The issue that does warrant conversation is who gets to play every day, Abreu, Eloy or Vaughn once the Sox have better options in the outfield.  I'd be happy with Abreu at 1B at Eloy at DH.

🤡

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

6 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Oh it's definitely best for the team.

Maybe Hahn got a hold of him and had a nice sit down because wasn't it just 2 weeks ago that Eloy said he'd be annoyed if he wasn't allowed to play LF? 

21 minutes ago, tray said:

I am sure AV needs to work on his range but he has proven trustworthy without getting stuck in the net. The experience he is getting against big boy pitching has been invaluable. I consider him beyond rookie status by now. He is tougher than he looks and a good athlete.