AVG .173, OBP .253, SLG .222, OPS .473

Yes he has been that bad

Andrew Vaughn's last 30 games:

AVG .193, OBP .247, SLG .386, OPS .633

.511 OPS against right handers, mashes lefties

Leury Garcia

AVG .244, OBP .307, SLG .308, OPS .615

been pretty damn good over the last few weeks however

Somehow we have been winning with these 4 falling on their faces, thank you starting pitching but this wont last. Eaton needs to be on the bench when we get some reinforcements in the outfield, Mercedes needs to make adjustments or go to AAA, Vaughn needs more time, and Garcia is a good backup but thats his limitation. We all know this though, but the numbers are just puke worthy from these guys. Its a miracle we are where we are.

Edited by reiks12
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

The problem is platoon only / bench players are playing everyday. There is a place for three of the four on a postseason roster (sorry Yermin, if Eloy returns). Wouldn't be averse to keeping Hamilton over either Lamb or Eaton, depending on how things go. Yermin is gone unless there is a major turnaround (May OPS .619; June .462)

Vs. RHP (ML Career OPS Splits)

1. SS Anderson .719
  2. 3B Moncada .819
  3. 1B Abreu .849
  4. DH Jimenez .864
  5. CF Robert .737
  6. C Grandal .794 (C Z Collins .706 for Lucas and Carlos - Bats 8th / Eaton & Lamb move up to 6th and 7th) 
  7. RF Eaton .796
  8. LF Lamb .803
  9. 2B Mendick .759 

Vs. LHP (OPS Splits)

1. SS Anderson .849
  2. CF Robert .866
  3. 1B Abreu .926
  4. DH Jimenez .801
  5. 3B Moncada .702
  6. C Grandal .795 (C Z Collins .416 for Lucas and Carlos - Bats 8th / Vaughn and Leury move up to 6th and 7th) 
  7. LF Vaughn 1.057
  8. 2B L. Garcia .682
  9. RF Engel .689
Edited by South Side Hit Men

6 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The problem is platoon only / bench players are playing everyday. There is a place for three of the four on a postseason roster (sorry Yermin, if Eloy returns). Wouldn't be averse to keeping Hamilton over either Lamb or Eaton, depending on how things go. Yermin is gone unless there is a major turnaround (May OPS .619; June .462)

Vs. RHP (ML Career OPS Splits)

1. SS Anderson .719
  2. 3B Moncada .819
  3. 1B Abreu .849
  4. DH Jimenez .864
  5. CF Robert .737
  6. C Grandal .794 (C Z Collins .706 for Lucas and Carlos - Bats 8th / Eaton & Lamb move up to 6th and 7th) 
  7. RF Eaton .796
  8. LF Lamb .803
  9. 2B Mendick .759 

Vs. LHP (OPS Splits)

1. SS Anderson .849
  2. CF Robert .866
  3. 1B Abreu .926
  4. DH Jimenez .801
  5. 3B Moncada .702
  6. C Grandal .795 (C Z Collins .416 for Lucas and Carlos - Bats 8th / Vaughn and Leury move up to 6th and 7th) 
  7. LF Vaughn 1.057
  8. 2B L. Garcia .682
  9. RF Engel .689

Right, obviously cant expect a good lineup right now with 4 starters gone but I think they are giving too long a leash to a couple guys.

• Like 1

Mercedes is certainly not as good a hitter as he was early in the season, however, I don't think he's as bad a hitter as he is right now.  He's going to need to make some more adjustments and stop getting himself into 2-strike holes.  I don't know what a full season of Yermin looks like, but we may not get to see that if he doesn't improve pretty soon.  Luckily for him, though, there aren't much in the way of better options right now.

It seems like Eaton is playing with a bunch of nagging, prolonged injuries.  He seems to hobble around in the field and doesn't seem to have much of a base when he's at the plate.  Unlike with Yermin, there are several options for RF that are better than him right now (Goodwin, Lamb, Leury).

Leury has been hitting better recently.  He's still a decent bench piece that is being over-used due to injuries.

Vaughn will be streaky as he continues to learn at the plate.  I'm not concerned about him, and he needs to play every day so he can continue to get better.

Eloy has been on the IL the entire season

Robert has been on the IL for all but the first month

Engel was on the IL for the entire season up until last week

Anderson spent time on the IL

Billy Hamilton is on the IL

Now Madrigal is on the IL

Yes, there are a lot of guys not producing right now (Eaton, Vaughn, Yermin, Leury) and even starts like TA and Abreu are having sub-par seasons by their standards.

The problem is, there have to be 9 guys in the lineup every day. We're going to have to suffer some bad hitters in the lineup a while longer.

The pitching is good enough to beat bad and average teams despite the lineup. Tampa Bay is proving to be a different story.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Yes, there are a lot of guys not producing right now (Eaton, Vaughn, Yermin, Leury) and even starts like TA and Abreu are having sub-par seasons by their standards.

The problem is, there have to be 9 guys in the lineup every day. We're going to have to suffer some bad hitters in the lineup a while longer.

The pitching is good enough to beat bad and average teams despite the lineup. Tampa Bay is proving to be a different story.

After 1 game?  That is a very, very small sample size. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think Eaton may be toast, but Vaughn and Mercedes are both rookies in the toughest hitting environment in MLB since the '60s.  Maybe we've got to be a little more patient with them, especially Vaughn.  Moncada, Eloy, and Robert all had struggles their first years.  If you want the rewards later, you gotta live through the growing pains.

I'll admit Mercedes has been brutal for the last month.  I could see giving Lamb a bunch of his at bats against tough righthanders, but Vaughn's gotta play through it.  At least until Eloy comes back.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I think Eaton may be toast, but Vaughn and Mercedes are both rookies in the toughest hitting environment in MLB since the '60s.  Maybe we've got to be a little more patient with them, especially Vaughn.  Moncada, Eloy, and Robert all had struggles their first years.  If you want the rewards later, you gotta live through the growing pains.

I'll admit Mercedes has been brutal for the last month.  I could see giving Lamb a bunch of his at bats against tough righthanders, but Vaughn's gotta play through it.  At least until Eloy comes back.

This. These dudes got thrust into the spotlight and now the league is adjusting. Give them some time to adjust back.

30 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Yeah im not expecting all stars for backups, just stating the facts. I would like to see Mercedes getting more bench time if he cant figure it out by the end of June. Eaton is hurting this team a lot and could be replaced. Leury is Leury, and hes actually been pretty productive over the last few weeks. Vaughn needs experience/reps so id continue to put him in there every day.

Just now, reiks12 said:

Yeah im not expecting all stars for backups, just stating the facts. I would like to see Mercedes getting more bench time if he cant figure it out by the end of June. Eaton is hurting this team a lot and could be replaced. Leury is Leury, and hes actually been pretty productive over the last few weeks. Vaughn needs experience/reps so id continue to put him in there every day.

I understand that, I'm just noting that right now, there aren't 9 guys who shouldn't be getting more bench time.

6 minutes ago, Quin said:

This. These dudes got thrust into the spotlight and now the league is adjusting. Give them some time to adjust back.

Yes and no.

Vaughn is young, same age as Robert’s first season, slightly older than Eloy. Also is destroying LHP early in his career (1.057 OPS), albeit a small sample.

Mercedes is 27, beyond old for a rookie. Doesn’t mean he can’t rebound, just saying he doesn’t have the same long term upside as the other three players, and unlike Vaughn doesn’t provide any value or serviceable position defensively. It’s not smart to risk Eloy to further trips to “Heaven”, or suffer through his LF “fielding”.

5 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Yes and no.

Vaughn is young, same age as Robert’s first season, slightly older than Eloy. Also is destroying LHP early in his career (1.057 OPS), albeit a small sample.

Mercedes is 27, beyond old for a rookie. Doesn’t mean he can’t rebound, just saying he doesn’t have the same long term upside as the other three players, and unlike Vaughn doesn’t provide any value or serviceable position defensively. It’s not smart to risk Eloy to further trips to “Heaven”, or suffer through his LF “fielding”.

I'm saying Yermin gets some leash until Eloy gets back. 

If he proves something by then, then fantastic, you've got a big bat on the bench and try to figure out what to do from there.

• Like 1

Vaughn will be fine, he just needs to keep playing.  I'm not 100 percent confident with Yermin but with where we're at right now he needs to keep being run out there too.  He's certainly not as bad as he's been lately so hopefully things will average out a bit for him too.  

I admit maybe I was a little over the top with the whole we should trade Vaughn posts last night. I think we should give him a chance since it is his first full season. Mercedes on the other hand will soon be out of options if he doesn’t figure things out.  

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Haha 1

Mercedes needs to lose his automatic entry into the lineup. Lamb needs to play everyday against righties. Collins needs to get more consistent ABs.

vs. RHP

R SS Anderson
L CF Goodwin
S 3B Moncada
R 1B/DH Abreu
S C/1B/DH Grandal
L DH/RF Lamb
R LF Vaughn
L RF/DH Eaton/Collins 
R 2B Mendick

vs. LHP

R SS Anderson
R DH Mercedes
S 3B Moncada
R 1B Abreu
S  C Grandal
R LF Vaughn
R CF Engel
S RF Garcia
R 2B Mendick

• Like 3

For us to win a division and contend for a  championship we cannot have Adam Eaton and Yermin Mercedes hit they way they have been.

Quite honestly if Eaton is hurt put his ass on the 10 day IL and get healthy.  Right now he is no help to us.  I mentioned this in the game thread last night and someone can back with then you will have a another minor league call up ........Is a minor leaguer like Gavin Sheets not a better option then Adam Eaton right now?

In regards to Yermin, the slump has gone to his head.  You can see his approach is totally different at the plate.........He is chasing and swinging at pitches he did not for the 1st month.  Along with this MLB has made an adjustment to him,,,,,,he has not adjusted back as of yet.  Being able to adjust to pitchers are doing to you is what makes a good quality MLB hitter.  He is not that right now.  

I hope Rick makes a move sooner rather then later. We have an opportunity to run away and hide in this division but need another  bat until ELOY and LUIS come back. 

As the great Hawk Harrelson said, hitting is contagious. They'll get hot again.

I'm worried about our MVP. That dude hasn't really broke out yet. Seems to be slow on the heaters and chasing the sliders more. And I'm a BIG Abreu fan.

Edited by ScooterMcGee

16 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Mercedes needs to lose his automatic entry into the lineup. Lamb needs to play everyday against righties. Collins needs to get more consistent ABs.

vs. RHP

R SS Anderson
L CF Goodwin
S 3B Moncada
R 1B/DH Abreu
S C/1B/DH Grandal
L DH/RF Lamb
R LF Vaughn
L RF/DH Eaton/Collins 
R 2B Mendick

vs. LHP

R SS Anderson
R DH Mercedes
S 3B Moncada
R 1B Abreu
S  C Grandal
R LF Vaughn
R CF Engel
S RF Garcia
R 2B Mendick

Looks good me. Did we ever get an explanation why Lamb did not play yesterday?

1 hour ago, Quin said:

I am not that worried Vaughn at all.  Keeping running him out there.  Yermin?  I think its ovah for him.  There is absolutely zero reason to throw him a strike and everyone in the MLB knows it.  

I mean we all know that we have a a group of guys who have been thrust into a lot of at bats and are struggling, the problem is who do you replace them with?  We have blown out three starters for long term injuries, of course the line up is going to have guys that suck in it.

38 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I am not that worried Vaughn at all.  Keeping running him out there.  Yermin?  I think its ovah for him.  There is absolutely zero reason to throw him a strike and everyone in the MLB knows it.  

Tony needs to stop penciling Yermin in against righties. I like raBBit's above lineups for righties and lefties.

1 hour ago, manbearpuig said:

Tony needs to stop penciling Yermin in against righties. I like raBBit's above lineups for righties and lefties.

Yerminator is not hitting righties or lefties. Rick Hahn has to make the call about what to do with him now. Maybe demote or DFA him and bring up Jake Burger or Sheets or possibly make a trade.

13 minutes ago, tray said:

Yerminator is not hitting righties or lefties. Rick Hahn has to make the call about what to do with him now. Maybe demote or DFA him and bring up Jake Burger or Sheets or possibly make a trade.

Against righties, he has a .253 average, .312 OBP, .686 OPS.

Against lefties, he has a .375 average, .426 OBP, 1.106 OPS. 

Play him against lefties only.

Edited by manbearpuig

1 hour ago, tray said:

There is next to 0% chance that Yermin will be DFA'd in 2021.  A demotion could be in order though - problem is, they don't exactly have any better options.  For now, I would run Lamb out there against RHP.  Wouldn't be opposed to giving Sheets a run at it.  

• Like 1