Offensive dead weight

reiks12

3 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

As the great Hawk Harrelson said, hitting is contagious. They'll get hot again.

I'm worried about our MVP. That dude hasn't really broke out yet. Seems to be slow on the heaters and chasing the sliders more. And I'm a BIG Abreu fan.

It'd be nice if Jose didn't have Yermin Mercedes batting behind him.  Let's go ahead and slot Grandal in the #5 slot regularly please. 

52 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

There is next to 0% chance that Yermin will be DFA'd in 2021.  A demotion could be in order though - problem is, they don't exactly have any better options.  For now, I would run Lamb out there against RHP.  Wouldn't be opposed to giving Sheets a run at it.  

Can Yermin be optioned to the minors without having to clear waivers? 

10 hours ago, Rowand44 said:

Vaughn will be fine, he just needs to keep playing.  I'm not 100 percent confident with Yermin but with where we're at right now he needs to keep being run out there too.  He's certainly not as bad as he's been lately so hopefully things will average out a bit for him too.  

Yes he needs to keep playing but only against LHP and maybe the same can be said for Mercedes. I see so much support for Vaughn and it doesn't add up. I mean we want to win don't we ?

Vaughn against RHP:            112 AB .188 BA .248 OBP .250 Slg. .498 OPs .

Billy Hamilton against RHP: 44 AB, .182 BA, .213 OBP ,.273 Slg ,485 OPS and Hamilton sucks against RHP. He should hardly ever play against RHP but he has a great glove and can contribute on the bases so he brings more things to the table than Vaughn even against RHP .

Yet all I constantly see is Vaughn should keep playing. Give me one good reason why. Against RHP he doesn't contribute anything hitting,defensively or on the bases. If it was any other player everyone would be calling for his head. Sure he's a top draft pick. But the lineup has to be stronger against RHP in all facets of the game to get to where we all want to go.

Edit: sorry got Hamiltons stats wrong.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

I know we've all been really hard on him for good reason, but Leury's last 28 days have been pretty good offensively, and his versatility defensively has been crucial to us while weathering all of the injuries. His defense has been good at all positions. I wish he could hit a couple of homers. Crazily enough, he's on pace for a nearly 2.0 bWAR full season, which would mean he was barely starter caliber.  

11 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Yes he needs to keep playing but only against LHP and maybe the same can be said for Mercedes. I see so much support for Vaughn and it doesn't add up. I mean we want to win don't we ?

Vaughn against RHP:   112 BA .188 BA .248 OBP .250 Slg. .498 OPs .

Billy Hamilton against RHP: 44 AB .217 BA .247 OBP 406 OPS and Hamilton sucks against RHP. He should hardly ever play against RHP but he has a great glove and can contribute on the bases so he brings more things to the table than even against RHP .

Yet all I constantly see is Vaughn should keep playing. Give me one good reason why. Against RHP he doesn't contribute anything hitting,defensively or on the bases. If it was any other player everyone would be calling for his head. Sure he's a top draft pick. But the lineup has to be stronger against RHP in all facets of the game to get to where we all want to go.

Send him down then. No point of having a recent top prospect on the bench in the limited part of a platoon role. Would rather he got sent down than only play against lefties.

Edited by manbearpuig
  • Thanks 1

The offense really has overperformed considering all the injuries. This could regress and I hope it stays good enough so that they survive the time until Eloy and Robert are back. The offense really needs Eloy, Robert (and Nick too). 

The sox did benefit from an easy schedule and some guys over performing, I just hope they play above 500 the next 6 weeks so they can pick up when Eloy, nick and Robert come back

• Like 1

Offensive dead weight comes in different forms. Adam Engel, Billy Hamilton, and yes, even Leury Garcia can be dead weight on offense and still provide a lot of value on defense. Andrew Vaughn provides very little defensive value and Yermin Mercedes provides pretty much zero defensive value.

Yermin and  and Vaughn in the same line-up have routinely been giving up 7 or 8 of 27 outs per game.  If that was balanced with a lot of home runs, it would be acceptable. It pains me to see how many HR a team like the Rays can put up. Down 3-0 on two home runs early yesterday  against an ace pitcher just about ruined the game.

Please men, start hitting the ball out of the frikkin' park tonight against the Rays. No excuses. Let's go.

13 minutes ago, SleepyWhiteSox said:

Yea 1=D 2=F 3=A 

You obviously haven't seen his production these past 28 days

Teams just don’t DFA top prospects w/o first sending them back down to work on things.  Vaughn would be snapped up instantaneously if released and the Sox would look foolish for doing so. 

Edited by Tnetennba

Just now, Tnetennba said:

Teams just don’t DFA top prospects w/o first sending them back down to work on things.  Vaughn would get snapped up instantaneously if released and the Sox would look foolish for doing so. 

He better step it up then, and soon. If not, his ass will be DFA'd real quick

• Like 1
  • Haha 1