Heyman: Sox interested in someone on some team. Nightengale: *nods*

Chicago White Sox

2 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

We aren’t going to trade any major prospects for Escobar. We seem to be doing fine with our internal options. Mendick has done a very good job. We have Engel back and soon we will have Kopech and Billy Hamilton back

Talk about late game defense with a lead. How does a ball find grass with Billy and Adam in the outfield? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nick_Schwam said:

Talk about late game defense with a lead. How does a ball find grass with Billy and Adam in the outfield? 

Time will tell if after the substance ban (and if it's enforced) if nearly every other out is a K. That said, OF defense will still be a factor come playoff time. Having Adam and Robert as starting in RF and CF, respectively, and Billy a defensive replacement in the 8th or 9th for Vaughn makes for an elite defensive OF.

Couple that with their great infield (Moncada, Anderson, Mendick and Abreu) and the only worry is Grandal or Collins (or Crochet) catching the baseball. Team defense is an overlooked factor in terms of White Sox pitching success this year already, with a huge upgrade in LF and RF overall an upgrade. 

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, elrockinMT said:

We aren’t going to trade any major prospects for Escobar. We seem to be doing fine with our internal options. Mendick has done a very good job. We have Engel back and soon we will have Kopech and Billy Hamilton back

We are trading for someone.  I think you are gonna have to accept that

ozzie actually just talked about getting Escobar on Mully and Haugh

7 hours ago, elrockinMT said:

Not sure the Sox have any major prospects left. 2 of their top 10 haven't even played yet in Cespedes and Norge Vera.

This thread is about acquiring Escobar, not about "replacing Madrigal".  The rumoured Sox interest in Escobar doesn't emanate from a perceived hole at the keystone position. Mendick would be fine, if this team didn't have such a dearth of LH power. Remember, even if the Sox got both Eloy and Robert back, they still would not have a single really big LH power bat. Moncada has not proven to be a big home run threat and Grandal is,....well Grandal. He's a very good OBP hitter, with decent power, but he's not suited to be a #3, or clean up hitter. 

If one wants to talk about acquiring someone other than Escobar, please try to limit your suggestions to a LH power hitter. You may disagree, but you can be sure that management is more interested in fixing this roster imbalance, than they are in finding someone to simply play second base. Even if they weren't satisfied with Mendick, they have other internal options. There is Leury, Tim Beckham and even Marco Hernandez. The problem is that none of those guys provide that much needed LH power.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

I was half joking, I want a good player. Handedness is not important to me like it is to you

Yes, it is important to me and to most people in the sport. It's the rationale behind platooning, switch hitting, pinch hitting, lineup construction and more.

• Haha 1

Just now, Lillian said:

Yes, it is important to me and to most people in the sport. It's the rationale behind platooning, switch hitting, pinch hitting, lineup construction and more.

No, don't get it twisted.  I understand wanting a left handed hitter like "most of the people in the sport".  I am simply not obsessed with it.   Teams win without it.  The Sox were winning with a very right handed Madrigal, and it was fine, and it wasn't imperative to add one.

• Thanks 1

• Quin locked and unlocked this topic