Heyman: Sox interested in someone on some team. Nightengale: *nods*

Chicago White Sox

21 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

No, don't get it twisted.  I understand wanting a left handed hitter like "most of the people in the sport".  I am simply not obsessed with it.   Teams win without it.  The Sox were winning with a very right handed Madrigal, and it was fine, and it wasn't imperative to add one.

They were and are winning because they have  great starting pitching and kill LHP. Their record against RHP is mediocre and that's against a lot of poor competition. Like most teams their record when hitting HR is way better than when they don't hit a HR. The Sox are 14/15 among AL teams in HR's per game. Only dreadful KC is worse. It would definitely improve the Sox chances going forward to rectify the lack of HR power and the lack of balance in the lineup when facing stronger competition and better teams which will happen in the playoffs. This cannot be denied since 75% of pitchers are RH.

This is something the Sox should be obsessed with if  the goal is to win the World Series this year. They have to be obsessed with winning the World Series in order to win one especially if the starting pitching hits a lull due to  guys like Kopech, Rodon, Crochet or Cease going above and beyond IP they haven't done  the last 2 years or in their whole career.

The Sox become a very different team if Rodon cannot pitch through the playoffs at the effectiveness he's been at so far and he's already above the amount of IP of the last 2 seasons combined as is Kopech and it's not even the season midpoint.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

They were and are winning because they have  great starting pitching and kill LHP. Their record against RHP is mediocre and that's against a lot of poor competition. Like most teams their record when hitting HR is way better than when they don't hit a HR. The Sox are 14/15 among AL teams in HR's per game. Only dreadful KC is worse. It would definitely improve the Sox chances going forward to rectify the lack of HR power and the lack of balance in the lineup when facing stronger competition and better teams which will happen in the playoffs. This cannot be denied since 75% of pitchers are RH.

This is something the Sox should be obsessed with if  the goal is to win the World Series this year. They have to be obsessed with winning the World Series in order to win one especially if the starting pitching hits a lull due to  guys like Kopech, Rodon, Crochet or Cease going above and beyond IP they haven't done  the last 2 years or in their whole career.

The Sox become a very different team if Rodon cannot pitch through the playoffs at the effectiveness he's been at so far and he's already above the amount of IP of the last 2 seasons combined as is Kopech and it's not even the season midpoint.

Ok if the pitching fails in the playoffs it doesn't really matter if they have a balanced lineup.  Pitching wins in the playoffs not offense.  

Lack of power is not going to be solved by acquiring Escobar, he isn't replacing Eloy and Robert.  He will help but let's not act like all the sudden they are going to jump to the top of the power numbers because they trade for him.

again, I understand wanting a left handed hitter.  But if I can acquire someone like Trae Turner without bottoming out the minors I honestly don't give a flying fuck that he is a right handed hitter.

12 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Ok if the pitching fails in the playoffs it doesn't really matter if they have a balanced lineup.  Pitching wins in the playoffs not offense.  

Lack of power is not going to be solved by acquiring Escobar, he isn't replacing Eloy and Robert.  He will help but let's not act like all the sudden they are going to jump to the top of the power numbers because they trade for him.

again, I understand wanting a left handed hitter.  But if I can acquire someone like Trae Turner without bottoming out the minors I honestly don't give a flying fuck that he is a right handed hitter.

Respectfully disagree. I'd love Trae Turner but realistically the chances of acquiring him are very small . Plus I never said the pitching would fail I said it could drop off due to a few guys  but if you also add a couple or even 1 very good BP arm that can be offset. It's really not in your best interest to argue such extremes like "pitching fails" or "let's not act like they are going to jump to the top of power numbers" and "pitching wins in the playoff not offense" because once again those were not my points. A good combination of pitching and hitting always wins more than just pitching.

The point is becoming incrementally better to offset current weaknesses or overcome future weaknesses.

17 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Respectfully disagree. I'd love Trae Turner but realistically the chances of acquiring him are very small . Plus I never said the pitching would fail I said it could drop off due to a few guys  but if you also add a couple or even 1 very good BP arm that can be offset. It's really not in your best interest to argue such extremes like "pitching fails" or "let's not act like they are going to jump to the top of power numbers" and "pitching wins in the playoff not offense" because once again those were not my points. A good combination of pitching and hitting always wins more than just pitching.

The point is becoming incrementally better to offset current weaknesses or overcome future weaknesses.

My point wasn't "I want trae turner", my point was "if this A player is better than that B player, but B player is left handed, you get the A player"

I want the Sox to get better.  If they acquire a good left handed player, good.  If they acquire a good right handed player, ALSO GOOD.

and stop telling me not to argue extremes like you aren't bringing up Rodon and Kopech dropping off.  That is a significant hit to this team in the playoffs.

maybe I should just tell you not to belabor my points

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

You are very consistent in your "go big" philosophy but unfortunately it never applies to the team you root for.

Freddy Garcia, Jim Thome. It happens. Can't go big every day.

Also Cali, you are saying the Sox have a mediocre record against RHP, what is it?  I can see their batting stats vs RHP but I can't find how to parse out their team record vs RHP.  I cannot imagine that they have won a majority of their games vs only left handed pitchers 

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Also Cali, you are saying the Sox have a mediocre record against RHP, what is it?  I can see their batting stats vs RHP but I can't find how to parse out their team record vs RHP.  I cannot imagine that they have won a majority of their games vs only left handed pitchers 

This is the breakdown of the top 12 teams from BR

image.png

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

My point wasn't "I want trae turner", my point was "if this A player is better than that B player, but B player is left handed, you get the A player"

I want the Sox to get better.  If they acquire a good left handed player, good.  If they acquire a good right handed player, ALSO GOOD.

ANd my point is a little more specific than that. The team is weak against RHP , they are also weak at power hitting and specifically LHPower.

They have a very strong record when hitting a HR .

They have a very poor record when they don't hit a HR.

They have a very mediocre record against RHP. 75% of pitchers are RH.

They have very little LHP

They have hole at 2nd base where the player is out for the year. They also have Eloy and Robert coming back this year and a plethora of substitute OF's

Let me add a few more. In all likelihood they have an owner who will look for the cheapest option to fill those weaknesses. If one rental who is inexpensive can help with all of those problems that's who the Sox will target. So in all likelihood given everything above it seems likely to be a LH 2nd baseman who hits with power who is a rental without a high salary who won't cost the Sox too much in prospect capital.

If you have any other suggestions for who can fill this need better than Escobar feel free to impress me.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

ANd my point is a little more specific than that. The team is weak against RHP , they are also weak at power hitting and specifically LHP.

They have a very strong record when hitting a HR .

They have a very poor record when they don't hit a HR.

They have a very mediocre record against RHP. 75% of pitchers are RH.

They have very little LHP

They have hole at 2nd base where the player is out for the year. They also have Eloy and Robert coming back this year and a plethora of substitute OF's

Let me add a few more. In all likelihood they have an owner who will look for the cheapest option to fill those weaknesses. If one rental who is inexpensive can help with all of those problems that's who the Sox will target. So in all likelihood given everything above it seems likely to be a LH 2nd baseman who hits with power who is a rental without a high salary who won't cost the Sox too much in prospect capital.

If you have any other suggestions for who can fill this need better than Escobar feel free to impress me.

Find where I said I don't want Escobar 

5 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I saw it the other day in a post. It was right around .500 and that's against a lot of poor teams. It was something like 25-25. But it's probably easy to find out their record against LH starting pitchers so just go backwards against that.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I saw it the other day in a post. It was right around .500 and that's against a lot of poor teams. It was something like 25-25. But it's probably easy to find out their record against LH starting pitchers so just go backwards against that.

25-21

17-4

6 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

You know which Twitter account to ask!

He's all in. He said a small trade like this wouldn't have been announced late last night. They will wait until today or tomorrow for that. 

It's really funny seeing a guy with obviously no info trying to seem like he has RH's phone bugged.

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He's all in. He said a small trade like this wouldn't have been announced late last night. They will wait until today or tomorrow for that. 

It's really funny seeing a guy with obviously no info trying to seem like he has RH's phone bugged.

They are going to trade for another infielder and/or another RF soon or by the trade deadline. It’s just a matter of time.

Edited by maloney.adam

24 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Find where I said I don't want Escobar 

So you were arguing with me just to say you don't care if the guy is RH or LH or a Switch hitter . Great ,then feel free to find me an equal or better option who, given our ownership, at 2nd base who has power and helps improve the Sox record against RHP .

According to what SS2K5 posted the record against RHP is 25-21 and against teams over .500 regardless of the handedness of pitchers is 13-15 thus further illustrating my points. I said 25-25 but I was trying to remember what another poster said it was . 25-21 isn't impressive considering the competition . More power from any player will do but considering  that more RHP both starters and relievers on playoff caliber teams are infinitely better pitchers than those teams we have played so far should tell anyone that a LH or SH player is preferable.

That stupid HR stat sure is getting a lot of run.  Guess what, on days you don’t hit a HR usually the opposing SP was good, that’s why you lost.

sure get another good hitter but freaking out over a lack of power is silly.  This is a good lineup and has big power coming off the IL in about two months.

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Is there anyone that wouldn't prefer Turner?  Those aren't equivalent pieces, or prices I wouldn't think.  Honestly I don't even think the Sox could get Turner.

• Quin locked and unlocked this topic