Heyman: Sox interested in someone on some team. Nightengale: *nods*

Chicago White Sox

5 hours ago, chw42 said:

I have no problem getting both, but I think we're much better off with Mendick getting the majority of the reps at 2B than dealing with Eaton in RF for the rest of the year.

If that was the only choice sure but now u have Goodwin, Engel and Lamb. Engel hits LHP well and there's even a decent chance he will also hit RHP  though not as well but better than Eaton and provide exceptional defense which is a big factor to consider.

Second Base

Teams most in need: White Sox, Cubs, Giants

The White Sox wouldn’t have been here a week ago, but with Nick Madrigal out for the remainder of the season, they now have yet another lineup hole to worry about. (Though they did receive good news on Eloy Jiménez’s return to health recently.) You probably don’t really want Leury García and Danny Mendick playing every day. This is why the White Sox have the No. 27 rest-of-season second base projection.

The Cubs may prefer to just let Nico Hoerner return from injury or see what they have in Sergio Alcántara, and they have a bigger problem that we’ll get to. San Francisco probably isn’t in a rush to replace Donovan Solano, despite an underwhelming and injury-plagued season. So if we’re looking at the White Sox, where are they, then, looking?

Possible trade targets: Adam Frazier. This is the obvious move. Beyond obvious, really. Frazier is a 29-year-old Pirate having a good year (139 OPS+), and even if he’s not really that good going forward, he’s a solid Madrigal replacement in that he makes a lot of contact and plays solid defense. (He can even play a little outfield, too, which Chicago probably needs.) Frazier aside, Schoop still plays some second, or veteran multi-positional guys like Asdrúbal Cabrera or Eduardo Escobar or Josh Harrison or Brock Holt could be had.

https://www.mlb.com/news/biggest-trade-needs-for-contenders

Biggest trade needs for contenders...pretty crazy that Kyle Gibson and Kikuchi might end up being the two best starters on the market, with all the others injured or not being traded.

Also, mentioned Orioles' outfielder Santander for RF, but not tied in to the White Sox specifically.

Possible trade targets: Actually, quite a few. Someone trade for Gallo. Mitch Haniger, when healthy, could probably be had. What about Gregory Polanco? Maybe Anthony Santander?

(LF) Possible trade targets: Fewer than you think. The mostly likely Big Name is free-agent-to-be Starling Marte, who missed a month with a rib fracture but has a long track record and has crushed the ball (.333/.432/.538) when healthy. He’s capable of playing center or left. Could you get Ketel Marte out of Arizona? Maybe, but it won’t be easy; he’s 27 years old and, if team options are picked up, can’t be a free agent until 2025.

Otherwise, in left field, you could probably get David Peralta, Adam Duvall or Kyle Schwarber. Joey Gallo has played mostly right recently, but he does have experience in both left and center, and wouldn't he be a fun add to a Yankee lineup with Aaron Judge and Stanton?

Edited by caulfield12

think we extend either Lynn or Rodon? let's say both walk, that's a huge hit to the rotation for next year. Giolito/Cease/Keuchel/Kopech/5 might not even win the division if they can't replace 1 of these guys with top talent. 

the only reason the Sox are where they're at right now is because of the starting pitching.  and relying on Kopech and Cease next year screams red flag to me

even if Jerry greenlights both guys, they could still test FA (and you can't really criticize either guy for it).  but if we lose both dudes, that would really suck

my personal preference would be to extend Lynn+Rodon, and package Cease in the off season for prospects if he maintains his growth and doesn't implode by the end of the year

1 hour ago, joesaiditstrue said:

think we extend either Lynn or Rodon? let's say both walk, that's a huge hit to the rotation for next year. Giolito/Cease/Keuchel/Kopech/5 might not even win the division if they can't replace 1 of these guys with top talent. 

the only reason the Sox are where they're at right now is because of the starting pitching.  and relying on Kopech and Cease next year screams red flag to me

even if Jerry greenlights both guys, they could still test FA (and you can't really criticize either guy for it).  but if we lose both dudes, that would really suck

my personal preference would be to extend Lynn+Rodon, and package Cease in the off season for prospects if he maintains his growth and doesn't implode by the end of the year

You’d want to trade a cheap 26 year old 4+ win pitcher for prospects in the middle of our competitor window?

31 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You’d want to trade a cheap 26 year old 4+ win pitcher for prospects in the middle of our competitor window?

Don’t you understand? The only reason the Sox are where they are right now is because of starting pitching…..so the Sox should trade one of those pitchers for prospects in the offseason because……yeah. 

• Like 1

Was surprised with 2005 having only one acquisition. Blum wasn't valuable in season, but that changed in Houston.

Herbert Perry was the most successful within the year acquired, and 2000was by far the most successful, though 2004 was the most successful long term.

Hopefully, not all of the money has been spent with full capacity in place.

Sox In Season Free Agents / Waiver Claims/ Trade Acquisitions by the White Sox during competitive (.500 +) seasons (bWAR noted in parentheses).

• 2021: B. Goodwin
  • 2020: J. Dyson (-0.1) & Y. Sanchez (0.3).
  • 2012: O. Hudson (0.3), F. Liriano (0.2), J. Lopez (0.1), B. Myers (0.8), D. Wise (0.1) & K. Youkilis (1.4).
  • 2010: E. Jackson (1.9) & M. Ramirez (0.2).
  • 2008: K. Griffey Jr. (0.4), E. Loaiza (0.0) & H. Ramirez (-0.3).
  • 2006: S. Alomar (0.0), M. MacDougal (1.4), J. Nelson (0.1), D. Riske (0.6).
  • 2005: G. Blum (-0.7).
  • 2004: R. Alomar (-0.8), W. Contreras (0.3), B. Davis (0.0); C. Everett (0.1); F. Garcia (1.6), W. Valdez (0.3).
  • 2003: R. Alomar (0.1), C. Everett (2.0), J. Paniagua (-0.1), S. Schoeneweis (0.0), S. Sullivan (0.3).
  • 2001: J. Canseco (0.8), A. Embree (0.0), B. Pulsipher (-0.3).
  • 2000: H. Baines (-0.3), T. Graffanino (1.0), K. Hill (-0.4), C. Johnson (2.0), H. Perry (3.0).

2 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

I think its likely Lynn gets extended. Just as likely Rodon does not.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

The White Sox are 3rd in baseball in position player WAR and third in baseball in wRC+ without three of their better players. This entire narrative that they've been offensively bad and challenged is complete nonsense.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chw42 said:

Not Steve Cishek basically deleted all the tweets about Escobar not being in the lineup. So he was probably just speculating.

No way.  What?  Can't believe this.

(he was in the lineup 😂)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dylan Cease as a 3.27 FIP this year and is tied for 17th in all of baseball for pitchers with a 1.8 fWAR with Julio Urias and guys on this site still discuss him like he's some bum who is going to suck any minute now. Truly amazing stuff. Lance Lynn fWAR is 1.9, ftr.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

47 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The White Sox are 3rd in baseball in position player WAR and third in baseball in wRC+ without three of their better players. This entire narrative that they've been offensively bad and challenged is complete nonsense.

The more you watch them the worse they look, it's how people work.  If you watch/listen to enough baseball you will soon realize that the 4 White Sox broadcasters are unrivaled in how they present a game.  Len and DJ are amazing. 

As for performance, every team has flaws, some more than others.  Currently the White Sox have few flaws comparatively and when Jimenez and Robert are back their flaws decrease.  Their only real flaw is a lack of power.  You cannot replace Eloy and Robert's power. 

Crochet and Kopech render everyone that is not Hendricks meaningless in the bullpen.  Now your 5 stud pitchers only have to go 6 innings which they easily can do.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pal said:

I think its likely Lynn gets extended. Just as likely Rodon does not.

Yeah, I think they resign Lynn and let Rodon go.  If QOs still exist in the new CBA then I see them offering Rodon that, but he only returns if he’s willing to accept it.

Ultimately that means you have a rotation of Lynn, Giolito, Cease, Kopech, & Keuchel next year with Crochet hopefully moving into a swingman role.  If all works well, Garrett would replace Dallas in 2023.

8 hours ago, chw42 said:

Not Steve Cishek basically deleted all the tweets about Escobar not being in the lineup. So he was probably just speculating.

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Well at least we’ve confirmed he’s a fraud, if we hadn’t already.  I still think Escobar ends up on the Sox though.

This is NSC’s explanation about those deleted tweets. Lol.

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

The more you watch them the worse they look, it's how people work.  If you watch/listen to enough baseball you will soon realize that the 4 White Sox broadcasters are unrivaled in how they present a game.  Len and DJ are amazing. 

As for performance, every team has flaws, some more than others.  Currently the White Sox have few flaws comparatively and when Jimenez and Robert are back their flaws decrease.  Their only real flaw is a lack of power.  You cannot replace Eloy and Robert's power. 

Crochet and Kopech render everyone that is not Hendricks meaningless in the bullpen.  Now your 5 stud pitchers only have to go 6 innings which they easily can do.  

I think it is more that Sox fans watch the sox and don’t realize how shit the league is offensively this year.

• Like 1

• Quin locked and unlocked this topic